Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Good Day All,

Here is the latest update on our WT.

We got it back from the dealer. They adjusted the misaligned front two roof panels and put more of the proper 3M sealant under the seal at the top of the A pillar on the passenger side (not silicone - sorry mikejames). It did take them nearly 2 weeks of tweaking and adjusting to get to this point and some of the sealant under the seal is showing but if it works then I will live with it.

They informed me that the hole that I indicated in my first post is indeed a drain hole that feeds down the A pillar. Just as mikejames suggested.

So we have a few days of rain and no leaks yet. Prior to the rains however, I wanted to inspect their work and have found that the adjustments made for panel alignment have made it nearly impossible to get the front panels off and on. Especially without damaging the seal. Suffice it say it will be going back to the dealer as some point to have this addressed. But it will wait for some dryer weather and for now we will enjoy the lack of water coming in to the vehicle.

While this is a bit concerning, I have to say that we thoroughly enjoy our Bronco and look forward to many adventures ahead.

Happy Trails,
Rick

IMG_3319.jpeg
Sponsored

OP
OP
mikejames

mikejames

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Black Diamond 2 door
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

We got it back from the dealer. They adjusted the misaligned front two roof panels and put more of the proper 3M sealant under the seal at the top of the A pillar on the passenger side (not silicone - sorry mikejames). It did take them nearly 2 weeks of tweaking and adjusting to get to this point and some of the sealant under the seal is showing but if it works then I will live with it.
IMG_3319.jpeg
The black sealant in your photo is different from the stuff they put on (the interior side of) my weatherstripping during my 2nd visit. They told me mine was silicone sealant (caulking); it's a grey/silver colour and flexible. I would have thought the 3M stuff used here would also be silicone-based, but I'm no expert in automotive sealants.

I categorically would not accept that application of spooge on my bronco. I hope they don't try that - if they do, they will be ripping it right off and redoing. Beyond aesthetic issues (which are on their own completely unacceptable imo), I bet that's changing the tolerances - probably the main cause of difficulty with the roof panels, and who knows what other problems, considering this is *supposed* to be a 2-stage weatherstripping.

Sorry to hear you're still dealing with this - I hope you get a good resolution out of them!

OP
OP
mikejames

mikejames

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Got it back from service visit #3! This time they replaced the weatherstripping along the head of the windshield, and adjusted both front roof panels so neither appears to be pinching at the A-pillars. No visible sealant on the exterior. You’ll excuse me for not taking the roof off tonight to check their handy-work in greater detail… it’s currently -17C and dark outside.

Time will tell if this worked, but they were pretty confident they’d gotten to the root of the issue this time. Looks to me like they’ve done a good job, although I wouldn’t want to jinx anything!

Some photos of the adjusted roof panel alignment:
Ford Bronco Leaking seal at MIC roof and windshield frame IMG_1161
Ford Bronco Leaking seal at MIC roof and windshield frame IMG_1162
Ford Bronco Leaking seal at MIC roof and windshield frame IMG_1163
Ford Bronco Leaking seal at MIC roof and windshield frame IMG_1164

Only one problem… now my keyless entry/touch-to-lock doesn’t work (I think the battery might be low, from sitting in extreme cold).

RCash8

Wildtrak
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
The alignment of the panels looks way better. I’ll keep my fingers crossed that the realignment and new seal keeps the water out.
In the meantime, start a fire and stay warm.

spdrcrx

Wildtrak
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4runner
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Same problem on our 23 WT. Front panels are misaligned just like mikejames. Took the panels off again as our current storm here in NorCal has let up. Found water in the channel of the seal across the windshield. See the attached photo. It shows the water backed up to hole in the seal. There are two of these holes in the seal. One each on either side of the five attachment bolts that hold the seal in place. This appears to be the spot where the water gets inside our Broncos.

We will be contacting our local dealer this week to start the process of a warranty claim. Hopefully they can adjust the panels correctly. Hate to think that some of us may need seals that are not available.

Good Luck to you all.

So, is water in this channel normal but should drain through the hole and the pinch prevent the water from draining?

I’ve had this leak since day 1 on the drivers side. Had the header replaced twice. Even had the roof panels replaced due to the honeycombing. But this hasn’t changed the leaking.

Sponsored

RCash8

Wildtrak
First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
So, is water in this channel normal but should drain through the hole and the pinch prevent the water from draining?

I’ve had this leak since day 1 on the drivers side. Had the header replaced twice. Even had the roof panels replaced due to the honeycombing. But this hasn’t changed the leaking.
Our dealer mentioned that the channel is designed to allow water that has gotten past the seal and front panels to drain down the A pillars.

I guess the easiest way to test this would be to removed the roof panels and intentionally poor water into the drain hole and see if any of that water enters the vehicle or drains down the A pillars. I may try this when we get spring weather here in NorCal instead of the winter rains.

As noted in my most recent update on our Bronco’s last visit to the dealer, we have not seen any water intrusion. And have gotten about 10 inches of rain since that latest repair a couple weeks ago. Our only issue now is that the “re-aligned” roof panels are a b**** to remove. That will be addressed in the spring with the dealer.

OP
OP
mikejames

mikejames

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Yes, as @RCash8 noted, this channel is for drainage after the “first line of defence” (the outer seal, which excludes most water but is not waterTIGHT). You see something similar on cars with moonroofs - some water gets in between the seal and the roof, collects in a gutter around the opening, and gets piped down the A-pillar and out the front wheel well.

If you look at the underside of the front edge of your roof panels, you’ll see a channel in the plastic that runs out to the corners. I believe this is a drip edge, intended to break surface tension and bead the water, directing some into the channel and some to the weep at the corner of the roof. Since the channel is unlikely to back up (given its volume and multiple drains), it’s likely the weeps being blocked or pinched that causes enough water to backup against the inner seal. Leave that condition for long enough and capillary action will draw some water past the seal (or there might even be a gap somewhere to flow through).

If your roof is aligned correctly, I think the outer edge should be a couple millimeters proud of the metal A-pillar. You may also find that, if your roof is out of alignment, it’s a little bit tricky to seat the A-pillar corner without snagging the seal, when reinstalling.

If alignment is out, replacement of the MIC roof shouldn’t really affect/improve fitment, since the adjustment points are on the body (the cams and registration pins). That’s assuming there’s dimensional consistency across multiple MIC roofs, which might be a stretch… personally I would want to see the mounting points readjusted if ever it was fitted with a new/different roof.

Last edited:

Ford Motor Company

First Edition
Official Ford Account
First Name
Ford
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Bronco Sport
Your Bronco Model
First Edition

Hi there, Tom. These leaking concerns doesn’t sound like something we want you to experience with your Bronco. If you are still in need of assistance, could you please send us a PM with your VIN and the name and location of your Ford dealer? To send a private message, just click on our username and select "Start Conversation". I'd be happy to look into how I can assist you on my end.

OP
OP
mikejames

mikejames

Black Diamond
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

We had a pretty heavy (and cold!) rainstorm Friday night and through much of Saturday. Exactly the kind of conditions that would have resulted in a leak before. Happy to report that the leak has not returned!
Sponsored