Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Considering BD which comes with the front/rear steel bumper. The winch setup does kind of hang out on the front a bit. Forget about the camera for a moment, even with a different aftermarket bumper, would the winch still be out front a bit, how much closer to the body can it be mounted?

Could it be mounted lower, pulled in under the grill? But then would that mess with the bash plate? Or are there low profile winches available?

How about a portable winch, if say a hitch receiver was mounted on the front?
Sponsored

GEP

Badlands
First Name
Glynn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Considering BD which comes with the front/rear steel bumper. The winch setup does kind of hang out on the front a bit. Forget about the camera for a moment, even with a different aftermarket bumper, would the winch still be out front a bit, how much closer to the body can it be mounted?

Could it be mounted lower, pulled in under the grill? But then would that mess with the bash plate? Or are there low profile winches available?

If you're not afraid of some hard work, do what the old guys did. Tirfor, Traction Boards and a Shovel.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Where does the intercooler go on the Bronco's 2.7? I read somewhere that Ford was working with Warn to see about relocating the winch solenoids. I relocated my solenoid box from the winch to under my hood in my jeep. But that doesn't fix the location of the winch, I'm thinking it's sucked in as much as it can be and it is what it is if I want to run a winch. Technically, the winch mount is portable if you remove the bolts and pull the mount from the bumper.

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Where does the intercooler go on the Bronco's 2.7? I read somewhere that Ford was working with Warn to see about relocating the winch solenoids. I relocated my solenoid box from the winch to under my hood in my jeep. But that doesn't fix the location of the winch, I'm thinking it's sucked in as much as it can be and it is what it is if I want to run a winch. Technically, the winch mount is portable if you remove the bolts and pull the mount from the bumper.
I forgot about the intercooler thing. I'm not familiar with these motors. I'm looking at the 2.3L. Maybe aftermarket bumpers will have a solution, but I may not want to wait that long.

That's quite a few bolts I imagine, while being stuck in mud...

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

If you're not afraid of some hard work, do what the old guys did. Tirfor, Traction Boards and a Shovel.
I actually have those items listed for my recovery kit. (y)

Sponsored

Bmadda

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1990 Bronco eddie bauer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have gone back & forth on which bumper to get several times. I plan on getting a Big Bend so the plastic bumper would come with fog lights - that’s a big plus for me. I drive through fog a few months out of the year so it’s something I use.

I do plan to off-road and so I will need a metal bumper for a brush guard (deer guard here in Michigan) and a winch. I know there will be a lot of aftermarket metal bumpers available and because I’ll have had the plastic bumper I’ll already have fog light wiring and a switch ready to go. Bumpers are also fairly straightforward to remove/install so no shop fee.

But, what I am afraid of is that whatever aftermarket metal bumper I buy will lock me into using certain gear - that is, it will likely be less universal than the factory bumper. Or am I overthinking it?

I’m also not keen on waiting until next fall for my Bronco, then waiting months for the aftermarket suppliers to spool up, and then waiting a few more weeks for my parts to arrive - that’s a lot of waiting!

What do you guys think?

082F333C-6982-4E13-946A-BF8F46F465BD.gif
I think you are way overthinking it. Generally the aftermarket bumpers are as universal as it gets. Likely any aftermarket bumper will place the winch about where the Ford one does...I mean in reality thats where it needs to be!

Tdifonzo

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I like the idea of the steel bumper, adding a cross bar to it and how durable it will be, but the integrated fog lights on the plastic bumper look sweet. #SOS

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I forgot about the intercooler thing. I'm not familiar with these motors. I'm looking at the 2.3L. Maybe aftermarket bumpers will have a solution, but I may not want to wait that long.

Yeah I wouldn't want to be removing it while standing in mud but then again, Mud is the devil, I try and avoid it like the plague. It provides smiles at the time but it is pain to get rid of and on jeeps at least, tends to lead to seized calipers, ask me how I know lol.

Aftermarket bumpers may have a solution, but the bumper is still going to stick out that far since the winch can't be tucked any closer to the grill and lack of room behind the front bumper.

ramblinwreck

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`22 Wildtrak, '21 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Bumpers: if you’re not getting a BL or BD, wait for aftermarket options or pick up someone’s factory steel takeoffs on the cheap. If you are getting a BL or BD, be happy with them until you bash them up enough to replace them with aftermarket options or replace them and sell them on Bronco6G/Craigslist/Nextdoor/Facebook marketplace.

A lot of people who pay extra for factory steel Jeep bumpers pull them off for plate steel aftermarket ones - if for no other reason than the aftermarket ones look more rugged.
Unfortunately, with cameras, parking sensors, and sonar sensors it will be a LOT more difficult to swap factory bumpers on a Bronco than a JK. I'd make damn sure to order steel bumpers from the factory if you want them. I'd imagine bumper swaps will be an expensive and painful endeavor for what many are used to.

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

This is also why I couldn't put a winch on my f150 w/ the 3.5EB due to the intercooler interference. The 2.7 is just the baby 3.5EB and I have no idea about the 2.3L.

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Unfortunately, with cameras, parking sensors, and sonar sensors it will be a LOT more difficult to swap factory bumpers on a Bronco than a JK. I'd make damn sure to order steel bumpers from the factory if you want them. I'd imagine bumper swaps will be an expensive and painful endeavor for what many are used to.
Good point. A little more than eight bolts when you have to swap sensors over and feed wires.

Hemisfear

Badlands
First Name
Bronco Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Focus ST
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

As long as Ford was forward looking enough to develop a winch plate that bolts in there and hides/recesses the winch, I'm good with the factory bumper. If their solution is to leave it hanging in the wind on top like the version we have seen, it's a huge disappointment and the entire thing is getting sold to fund a real bumper.
Kind of tough with our awesome flat front, completely different than Jeep's foot of front bumper...it can "stick out" as far as it wants for me!

Toccoa

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Isuzu Rodeo Sport
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
What! No poll? B6G is slipping. :LOL:

I think the modular is pretty cool looking. It has the look I was wanting. Looks purposeful.

FstFrd00

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.gunsmithingtx.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 BD Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

What! No poll? B6G is slipping. :LOL:

I think the modular is pretty cool looking. It has the look I was wanting. Looks purposeful.
Agreed

I like having fog lights, but honestly on my previous vehicles I rarely used the fog lights and I don't like thinking about a plastic bumper. The modular bumper, to me, looks good.

coolrain

Badlands
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ford Ranger, 2014 Camaro 1LE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Adaptive Cruise control etc can be an issue with aftermarket if they don't supply the correct angle for the sensors... not to mention Ford will void the warranty on these items
Sponsored