First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Seeing videos like these just reinforces my opinion to stay reasonable with 33s or 35s and the fox 2.5s with a reasonable amount of lift dialed in to get a bit of clearance and breakover.

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Not sure but I’ve watched them slip and slide through a number of videos now. They react terribly to the slick rock terrain. Embarrassingly bad actually.
It really appears there is something going on with the susp on that bronc with 40's. Does not seem like the wheels want to stay planted on the ground when he gets into even a little bit.

It also does not look like he is aired down much (is he even running double beadlocks?). I run 6-7 PSI in the rear, and 8-9 front on my 43's SX stickies. Even @ 6000 lbs, you don't need much air on that large a tire.

CJtoJLU

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon Extreme Recon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I just keep shaking my head at BroncBuster breakin shit constantly. Its makes for good entertainment I suppose.
Well you don’t come by a name like that by accident.

ryridesmotox

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
It really appears there is something going on with the susp on that bronc with 40's. Does not seem like the wheels want to stay planted on the ground when he gets into even a little bit.

It also does not look like he is aired down much (is he even running double beadlocks?). I run 6-7 PSI in the rear, and 8-9 front on my 43's SX stickies. Even @ 6000 lbs, you don't need much air on that large a tire.
Some of that probably has to do with him being a manual. With a tire that size it can be difficult to modulate when you're trying to climb something. With an auto, it's a bit easier.

Sponsored

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
88 5.0 LX, 08 F-150 Stepside, 22 Expl Timberline
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Water in the front tires, I heard him yell from off camera. Plus, he really likes the skinny pedal even when it starts bouncing. Even when he wheeled the wife's w/ 37's lots of gas, lots of droop. BAM!!! broken.

I have always got in trouble when the bouncing starts, even in a solid axle. 😁

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
59 Bird, 70, 74, 78, 79 Broncos, 84 LTD 331 w/Vortech, 86 Capri 5.0 turbo, 14 Stang GT, 17 Fusion Sport
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Some of that probably has to do with him being a manual. With a tire that size it can be difficult to modulate when you're trying to climb something. With an auto, it's a bit easier.
Good point, his tires looked to be bouncing wildly, like he had no shocks in it at all and the steering wasn't even connected. Maybe some of that is the independent nature of IFS. Looks very strange, but I guess I'm used to at least always seeing tires steering the same from solid axles, even when hopping madly.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Good point, his tires looked to be bouncing wildly, like he had no shocks in it at all and the steering wasn't even connected. Maybe some of that is the independent nature of IFS. Looks very strange, but I guess I'm used to at least always seeing tires steering the same from solid axles, even when hopping madly.
Yeah I would think with the sway bar disconnected it really lets each side do it's own thing. Like you said no axle to "tie" them together.

And what is with the bolt and stack of washers??????

Ford Bronco Lite Brite Bronco Crawls Fawlty Towers 1642114522301

I say that because it looks like the sway bar link pocket but that is in the rear of the control arm. So he has the lower control arm in backwards???? or maybe swapped side to side would be more accurate. very strange. :unsure:

edit: one of my squatch file pics for reference. 😁

Ford Bronco Lite Brite Bronco Crawls Fawlty Towers Bronco_parts_08

Aaonter

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I think the steering issue has two parts to it to actually fix the issue. One is the rods and rack is undersized and two the distance between the knuckle and rod end attachment is to short. Basically like trying to loosen a huge bolt with a short wrench. Being that short might allow a better turning radius but it also requires more force to turn the wheel and the wheels feedback to the steering system has a ton of torque. New hub with extended steering knuckle and stronger components would be the fix.
Ford Bronco Lite Brite Bronco Crawls Fawlty Towers 1642115403769

ryridesmotox

Black Diamond
First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Some of what looks like steering input might have been either... a) the tie rod heim link bending, which to me was an obvious sign of abuse or b) the way independent suspension changes angles during travel. It looks too wild to be that, but maybe a little of both.

As a totally speculative side note... if he didn't totally destroy the rack, but he did bend that heim joint link, then maybe the rack isn't as weak sauce as everyone though? I'm not sure of the quality of the links he was using but normally those are a pretty tough alloy steel. But, judging by the washer stack thing he's got going on, I'm not sure what components are being used.

I'm not trying to be a dick here or anything to Tyler. He's obviously getting after it. But I think some of the issues could be avoided with a more appropriate line and a driver mod stage 2

Sponsored

JPG

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I like that Kevin is starting to notice the driving difference with an IFS, slower, more careful. And the part where he says " ask the Toyota guys and others they will tell you, carry spare rods " I would add, and axles, lol

Broncobuster posted a picture of is burnt out clutch on FB today, already went through one...I don't know the guy, but his rig looks like a Frankenstein rig... Too much of everything... Maybe a really good driver, but it sure looks from the videos so far, he likes that skinny pedal... Kudos though for finding all those weak spots.

Aaonter

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler JLR
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I like that Kevin is starting to notice the driving difference with an IFS, slower, more careful. And the part where he says " ask the Toyota guys and others they will tell you, carry spare rods " I would add, and axles, lol

Broncobuster posted a picture of is burnt out clutch on FB today, already went through one...I don't know the guy, but his rig looks like a Frankenstein rig... Too much of everything... Maybe a really good driver, but it sure looks from the videos so far, he likes that skinny pedal... Kudos though for finding all those weak spots.
His gearing is way to high for 40s as well. At best he is at 94.75:1 with the manual. You really want close to 100:1 with 37s and a manual but 40s I would want even lower for slick rock. Autos are more forgiving do to allowing slip through hydraulic action.

BAUS67

Base
First Name
redneck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

watched the video a few more times, back and forth, found a closer up shot of this..........

Ford Bronco Lite Brite Bronco Crawls Fawlty Towers 1642117396944

What is the purpose of the bolt with washers on it, connected to what????. I am really confused.o_O

OX1

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'm not trying to be a dick here or anything to Tyler. He's obviously getting after it. But I think some of the issues could be avoided with a more appropriate line and a driver mod stage 2
You guys keep talking about this driver mod. Do you really not hard core rock crawl in rain, snow, and mud?
Sponsored