Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Considering the OB. What am I giving up by not ordering locking diffs? Don't really want Sasq package. Should I order just the rear as it seems optional?
Thanks for the advice
Sponsored

angrygrizzlybear

Black Diamond
First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Rear locker I highly suggest getting, assuming we can with the OB. I have it in my truck and it has come in really handy, not just with off roading. I have used it with towing and dropping a boat. At this point, I would consider a rear locker almost essential but that is just my opinion.

Go_Galt

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A 4WD with open differentials and capable all-terrain tires is more than the vast majority of people will need.

If you have to ask "What do I give up?" by foregoing locking diffs, you definitely won't need them.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
After 746 days, a MY22 4-door Badlands Bronco :-)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You are going to be giving up a stronger front differential & axles by not choosing the lockers from the factory. Aluminum v.s. cast iron diff housings 190 v.s 210 axles on the front.

ekim

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep TJ, Ford Excursion
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It would b e super helpful to know how smart the Bronco really is. If it's smart enough to put the brakes to one wheel to aid with traction it will go a LONG way to helping an open diff in many situations.

I know that everyone says if you only have one locker then do the rear. Thats true if it's an auto locker. If its a selectable then I think the front is better. My jeep has selectable front and rear lockers and I did rock crawling competitions with it in a class that only allowed one locker. We quickly learned that have a front locker is way more beneficial than a rear - as long as you can turn it on and off. Selectable front is even more important for a street rig - you don't want an auto locker doing some surprise engagement in poor weather conditions...

[edit]
Keep in mind that there have been problems with aluminum diffs in the past. I think some Jeeps had aluminum diffs and I recall people complaining about them. More recently Jeep had a problem with aluminum steering gears and had to go to iron/steel. I don't know how bulletproof the Bronco aluminum diff is, but I'd be a bit Leery of it unless I've seen lots of success stories with it.
[/edit]

Last edited:

Sponsored

BuckeyeinNV

Black Diamond
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You are going to be giving up a stronger front differential & axles by not choosing the lockers from the factory. Aluminum v.s. cast iron diff housings 190 v.s 210 axles on the front.
That has nothing to do with the optional rear locking diff.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

That has nothing to do with the optional rear locking diff.
Right you are as I saw "ordering locking diffs" as in plural and answered accordingly.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Are you saying the Bronco base model will have an aluminum center section on the rear axle?

broncobob94

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think it comes down to a simple question: if your side to side traction is not equal, are you okay with having one driving wheel (front or back, same thing). Look, you can accomplish a lot with applying brakes and throttle at the same time, but if you are not a good driver and THINK you would be in this situation get it... if you are never in this situation probably not worth your money. To the final 5%, who can do it all, lockers are worth their weight in gold. GOLD I SAY.

Felix808

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Are you saying the Bronco base model will have an aluminum center section on the rear axle?
I said nothing of the sort, but I see you read like I do or don't :p . That pertains only to the front axle.

Sponsored

Locked-n-loaded

Badlands
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.socalfj40.com
Vehicle(s)
'74 Toyota FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My FJ40 has a detroit in rear & manually locking hubs up front. A system that makes a lot of sense & is proven. Adequate for a vast majority of the people.

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You all have confused. The only time I need help is when I get mudded in. What helps then?

Rollerstud98

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Christian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Nissan Titan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A 4WD with open differentials and capable all-terrain tires is more than the vast majority of people will need.

If you have to ask "What do I give up?" by foregoing locking diffs, you definitely won't need them.
I got stuck one time and that was enough for me to know that at minimum I need the rear locker. 1 rear wheel and 1 front wheel spinning on ice, spent the night in the truck lol. Simple rear locker would have had me out of there no problem.

Beachin 74

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1974 Bronco, 2015 F-150, 2022 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have a Outer Banks reserved and I'll be going with the rear locking dif. You get the most bang for your buck with the rear locker while maintaining good street manners.
Like felix808 says without Sasquatch you are giving up the the cast iron front housing and locker.
I'm not going bigger than 33" tires and just sand/beach running so a rear locker is just fine as I have a factory rear locker in my F-150 and a ARB rear locker in my 1974.
Don't depend on the "nannies" for traction control. I have to shut all that crap off when traversing sand.
Sponsored