Sponsored

Long Road Trip Tips / Things to Watch Out For?

2ata

Base
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Curr.: 2021 Ford Bronco; '77 924, '01 986, '02 911
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Wife and I are prepping for a 3000 mile round trip.

Just curious if those who have done long distance trips in their Bronco have found anything unique to the vehicle over this type of trip.

Thanks.
Sponsored

JediMcMuffin

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've done 6 hours before. Back sweat is real if you have MGV seats. Personally I'd bring at least 2G extra fuel if you're going to be off-roading for any of that, otherwise not necessary. Before you set out, retorque lug nuts and inspect suspension and brake linkages for fun. Check to make sure your jack and lug wrench/toolkit and all of that is ready to rock. Personally I put the big whip FM antenna back on when doing long drives. Bring a spare key :)

That's about it, my longer drives have been pretty worry free. There are a few threads here of people who've gone further.

Cobrafang

Wildtrak
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I drove from TX to GA. Nothing special other than fill up when you need to. It drives great and I had a book on tape....I solo’d the drive just fine. Easy Peezy.

FleshTuxedo

Outer Banks
First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 OBX 2dr.
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Just did an 18 hour trip (9 hours each way), and the Bronco did quite well. Was comfortable and I don't really have anything to complain about, except we packed too much stuff and filled the 2dr, but that's to be expected.

zyglyrox

Base
First Name
Cory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘22 BaseSAS / ‘21 Bronco Sport BB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Get a good window cleaner for the bugs, something like rain-x or stoners glass cleaner.
Good music and good company is all you need. We did 2500 miles from OH -> VA -> OBX -> Myrtle Beach -> OH in August and it was great.

Sponsored

FleshTuxedo

Outer Banks
First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 OBX 2dr.
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Get a good window cleaner for the bugs, something like rain-x or stoners glass cleaner.
Good music and good company is all you need. We did 2500 miles from OH -> VA -> OBX -> Myrtle Beach -> OH in August and it was great.
Oh, yes. Absolutely this!

FerkinBlonco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 KLR 650, 2022 Bronco Base (2dr/7mt/CO)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Did 2500 miles back in late August. I don't know about your bronco, but the infotainment screen on mine will freak out if I run it for more than about 3 hours with CarPlay When doing my trip I didn't want to mess around with running navigation on the infotainment screen & dealing with that distraction. I had a RAM mount X-grip & arm already, so I bought this ball and had everything I needed to mount my phone to the dash. It was nice to have navi on the iPhone and have the Bronco's infotainment dedicated to stereo controls. Even if my CarPlay feature started to behave I think I would still do dual screens if I were to do another long trip.

I drove through Canada on my trip and switched the digital display to kilometers. That made it so that I had dual units on the dash (analog display in mph, digital in kph). Kinda cool, I guess. It helped me remember when to shift when not working in Freedom units.

There were a few times when I was driving into a strong headwind (wind farm area, so probably very strong). If the headwind got intense enough, the passenger and driver windows would pop out of the rubber seals where they mate with the roof. I'd have to slow to 45 or so, roll 'em down and back up. I could turn that problem off if I set climate control to recirculate. My theory is that the pressure would build up in the cab due to the headwind, but really I have no clue. Odd though.

PSUTE

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra
Your Bronco Model
Base
Body fluids when you stop somewhere and leave it unattended...

FleshTuxedo

Outer Banks
First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 OBX 2dr.
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Sponsored

FleshTuxedo

Outer Banks
First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 OBX 2dr.
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Oh. I should also add, when I was driving up north to Maine (from PA) it was terrible rainstorms the entire time, and the Bronco was great. OBX 2-dr non-SAS.
No leaks in the top, no hydroplaning, and wipers worked very well.
Only weird thing was the lane assist in construction zones, it seemed to get confused, but I understand why it did that.

tomcartmeljr

Everglades
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sierra 1500/Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Everglades
Clubs

I did about 1600 miles this weekend, Savannah, GA-ish to Lancaster,PA and back for my niece's wedding in my Everglades. Eats gas at 80 mph (like 17.5 mpg), not surprising, but the tank seems small, too, so more gas stops than my full size work truck or the wife's Outback.

Definitely a bug smashing windshield, cleaned it a couple times. The wipers don't have a true intermittent adjustment although they have several speeds? Between that and the bugs, I think Rain-x might be wise. Seats were comfortable to me and my wife.

Radio wasn't as bad as I thought from this forum. Road noise wasn't too bad until about 80 mph in the right wind with the hardtop and roof rack, fair enough. The XM reception pretty much sucks, and I've had a bunch of vehicles with XM, and toward the end of the trip the XM started to get confused a lot. We were running Android Auto, Nav, etc., so maybe it's a RAM issue? No biggie, honestly.

Held plenty of clothes, gifts, coolers, etc.. I found all the cupholder discourse during my wait for the Bronco a little annoying, but....uhhh, a few more really would be helpful.

To be clear, this was my first extended time with it and even with all these nitpicks, I totally loved road tripping in it, and generally really love it.

Drove great. Looks freaking amazing.

AZ_BRONC

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘17 4Runner, ‘16 BMW 328i, ‘96 Stang GT, ‘19 Mini
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

We’ve done a few and it’s been great, though it does go through gas like any vehicle it’s size. But it was much more comfortable than our previous 4Runner with better gas mileage even though we have SAS.

alicestevens

Raptor
First Name
Alice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ford explorer
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Have a nice trip! All gonna be just fine.
We are doing a two months road trip in Europe next year and i can't even describe how excited i am about it. Every day i check different route options, ordering vignettes online vignetteosterreich.de or booking some stays here and there.
Sponsored

Last edited: