Michigander

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
SuperDuty
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I am looking for feedback from people who have a ceiling mounted hard top lift.

I have a 9ft ceiling in my garage and plan to install a roof lift. I plan to remove the roof for most of the summer so I need to store the roof elevated to make room for the Bronco in the garage.

For those who have experience with them:
1) which lift was it?
2) pros/cons
3) did work well for "long term" storage (elevated)? How secure is it?

In my (limited) research I have found:

Smarter Home $995
https://www.smarterhome.com/products/hard-top-lifter-bronco

Lange $549
https://langeoriginals.com/products...-mic-hoist-a-top-power-hardtop-removal-system

J-Barr $449
https://j-barr.com/products/j-barr-ford-bronco-hardtop-removal-hoist-and-storage-system

Any others?
Sponsored

MillerAndCheeto

Wildtrak
First Name
Robin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Cyber Orange Wildtrak Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I have the Harken Hoist. I use it all the time to take the top off - it's a 1 person job and take mere minutes. And it's the cheapest option, around $270? They've been doing hoist systems for kayaks, canoes and Jeep tops for decades and have a great reputation for making solid products. The Harken Hoist is no exception - I use mine all the time in the summer. And because of our crazy weather I am putting the top on/off quite a few times and I am able to do both uninstall and install completely solo.

Poppavein

Black Diamond
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I have no experience but I have an electric engine hoist I got from Amazon for $100 that I could use for this.
I originally used it to build a stairway lift for my old Lab.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm trying to figure something out myself, but like @NVCowboy my garage isn't tall enough. I have an outdoor car port I could use, but I'm trying to figure out how to keep birds out of it from there if I have it hoisted up, or critters from moving in if I have it down low. Not sure I'm gonna win that battle.

Sponsored

GreyZ

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo 350z, Bronco Badlands, Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you have an extra 8" above the bronco, you have the space... I back in to the garage, basically until my spare is against the wall. Lift the top from there 6". Then I normally park pulling in forwards and the roof section sits above the hood of the bronco.

You don't need tall ceilings.

NVCowboy

Big Bend
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 F350. 2022 Big Bend (Sasquatch)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
If you have an extra 8" above the bronco, you have the space... I back in to the garage, basically until my spare is against the wall. Lift the top from there 6". Then I normally park pulling in forwards and the roof section sits above the hood of the bronco.

You don't need tall ceilings.
That would work, perhaps when the offspring moves out. Right now, the three vehicle garage has three cars. I know this is strange, but it’s all made possible by a stand alone workshop and several sheds. We joke about being organized hoarders. It’s what happens when you’re of German heritage AND have too much stuff. Throw in a little Irish heritage, and I can do everything with absolute precision, tomorrow.

dbattle

Outer Banks
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Toyota Prius
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Following. This is one of my Spring projects. So far I’m planning on diy with a winch that I’ll put in my attic space above. My question mark is what I’ll use to suspend it with. Just strong straps or a combination of straps and bars.

JonD

Wildtrak
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suburu Outback
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Doing this as we speak. Straps next

20240408_194541.jpg

20240408_192422.jpg

20240408_194519.jpg

20240408_194541.jpg

20240408_195333.jpg

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Energi, Ducati XDiavel
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I built a custom setup with my brother. I have 10' ceilings. I use deep strut to mount a Harbor Freight 800# hoist on the ceiling ( I toyed with recessing it, but found that I had enough space to leave it surface mounted).

Built a frame out of shallow unistrut with mitered corners (that's important if you want the 90* supports to bolt correctly (also saves some weight).

Used a center bar down the middle with 2 pick points (1 for empty 1 for full) so the frame always stays level.

Bought custom tie downs with 2" wide j-hook that's normally used for cargo straps - super heavy duty and way overkill - I aslo had to have them spread open in order to get the correct angle to grab onto the roof rack attachment points. This was incredibly hard to do and had them sent out to a buddy who had access to a 20 ton press - and even that was a challenge. The rear attachment is the balance point on a 4 door.

Then I added additional deep strut to the ceiling and 3/8 threaded rod coming down to essentially create a floating shelf from the ceiling. Once the top is hoisted I use 1x4 aluminum studs to attach to the threaded rod as the base of my shelf with big wingnuts and this supports the shelf to remove the suspension pressure off the top attachment points - with all the issues hardtops have had I didn't want to trust hanging the top for an extended period by just the hooks and attachment points.

I also extended the remote cable on the HF hoist.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Eerm1DfNpW1yvwyw7

Ford Bronco Looking for feedback on ceiling mounted roof lifts PXL_20231104_220733739
Sponsored