Sponsored

Back to the drawing board - can’t use ceiling for top hoist system?

Swiss Miss

Outer Banks
First Name
Swiss
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Well, I’m pretty bummed and stumped at what I should do. I bought the “Hoist a Top” roof removal system to install in my new house’s garage, but my boyfriend says that he doesn’t think the ceiling will support any additional weight because there are only roof trusses and not proper support for hanging anything from the roof. (I also wanted to install a Fleximount overhead rack and that’s probably not happening either.)

I don’t know much about this type of stuff and so I’ve researched a good bit the past couple days and while I can’t confirm for certain that he’s right, I agree that it looks like the risk is there. They are 2x4s spanning the width of the garage.

Attaching pics of my attic if anyone here is a roof expert that can give me reassurance, but I reached out to a couple structural engineers to get an opinion but they all say they have to come out to the property to see and measure to determine, and that sounds even more expensive.

I’m still in the return window for Amazon so I’ve got to figure out something ASAP. Hoping to either confirm it’s ok, or figure out an alternative solution to remove and store the top that will allow me to use my garage still.

Suggestions? I could really use a little help from my friends.
Ford Bronco Back to the drawing board - can’t use ceiling for top hoist system? IMG_9091
Ford Bronco Back to the drawing board - can’t use ceiling for top hoist system? IMG_9092
Ford Bronco Back to the drawing board - can’t use ceiling for top hoist system? IMG_9095
Sponsored

HotdogThud

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
mk6 gti, '21 MoarDoor
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

seconded, unless you're hanging upwards of 1000 lbs or something bonkers like that, you'll be fine. Just make sure the hoist is into a stud, and it'll hold that + the 120ish lb top without issue.

source: I've got a hanging rack in my garage that weighs probably 50 lbs on it's own, and has maybe 200 lbs of stuff in it, and it's held in with lagbolts with eyelets on the end. The rack would fail long before the bolts pull out of the studs

HotLap

Outer Banks
First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor and 2019 Yamaha XSR900
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
You should be good, the clamshell MIC hardtop is only 68lbs and 2 door a bit heavier. If you have 2x4 stud mounts, you should be golden…reinforcing overheads studs could be an option as well…

Neps

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MX-5, Focus EV, F150, F350, Scout II (2)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The weight of the top and lift should be fine.

Sponsored

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You'd think they would design house trusses to at least hold a snow load..... :oops:

100lbs of hard top would be nothing by comparison.

Dadsquatch

Outer Banks
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

You’re totally fine. This is how all of our garage ceilings look. Attach to the joists and/or 2x4s and move on with life.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What you do is run a 2x4 or 4x4 across several of those trusses to spread the weight across them.

Even that will be overkill for a 100lb.

WCP-82

Badlands
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Im hanging my hoist system off a 24' span of 1955 lumber. I kind of made my own truss by screwing in 2 x 4 s to the roof spanned lumber. I would be loving some modern trusses to hang crap. I won't hang sheetrock off of my lumber because it will probably fail. It's already hanging on yours. So WTF???????? Your'e good!

Sponsored
OP
OP
Swiss Miss

Swiss Miss

Outer Banks
First Name
Swiss
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Outer Banks 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Thanks so much, everyone! I thought I had a good game plan and then was quite discouraged. This is one of a few articles BF pointed to, FYI: Link

So, this is helpful to hear everyone’s actual experience.

I should have mentioned I have a 2 door, but yeah, it’s really not that much weight.

And good point, @HoosierDaddy re: snow loads. I’m a FL girl but this house is in Western NC. We don’t get much snow but it happens from time to time.

I’m stoked to get this installed, want to at least get one topless ride in before winter (a ride on blue ridge parkway when the leaves change for fall!) and then I’ll use it all the time come spring. :cool:

TNBronc4344

Badlands
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks so much, everyone! I thought I had a good game plan and then was quite discouraged. This is one of a few articles BF pointed to, FYI: Link

So, this is helpful to hear everyone’s actual experience.

I should have mentioned I have a 2 door, but yeah, it’s really not that much weight.

And good point, @HoosierDaddy re: snow loads. I’m a FL girl but this house is in Western NC. We don’t get much snow but it happens from time to time.

I’m stoked to get this installed, want to at least get one topless ride in before winter (a ride on blue ridge parkway when the leaves change for fall!) and then I’ll use it all the time come spring. :cool:
My garage ceiling isn’t tall enough for a lift unfortunately but this is not my daily driver so I took the roof off in March and only take it out when the weather is good. Like you I am waiting for the color change (I must live somewhat near you on the TN side of the mountain) and going to hit the Blue ridge Parkway before putting the top back on for the winter. It’s been a glorious spring/summer/fall without the top. In fact I can’t really remember what it looks like with the top on. 🤣

IMG_0264.jpeg

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Lol...those ARE the normal type of trusses. Hell, I'm hanging all sorts of stuff my my garage ceiling and I have engineered I beams.

You need a new BF

swami37

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Ford F-1 and 2020 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
you BF is over thinking it…you can hang top easily without any problems

MayhemMike

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mercury
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Supports the top and all the excess lumber,piping,molding,surfboards,garage door opener and hockey sticks without a second thought.

IMG_1060.jpeg
Sponsored