Sponsored

Looking into Portals what do people think?

ASKreager

Wildtrak
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
24 Wildtrack w Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Looking for the best way (not the most economical which portals would not be) to be able to run 37s and hell maybe even 40s someday on the Bronco Wildtrack with Sasquatch package while maintaining low center of gravity, gaining ground clearance, maintaining good highway ride, and maybe adding/increasing durability. Looks like 74 Weld has a bolt on portal that would allow for that.
Sponsored

SierraBronco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Looking for the best way (not the most economical which portals would not be) to be able to run 37s and hell maybe even 40s someday on the Bronco Wildtrack with Sasquatch package while maintaining low center of gravity, gaining ground clearance, maintaining good highway ride, and maybe adding/increasing durability. Looks like 74 Weld has a bolt on portal that would allow for that.
81 pages of goodness. Eat your heart out.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/74weld-bronco-portals-now-available.78575/

MileHighCitizen

Badlands
First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2D 2.7
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Considering the price of $20k for portals + Wildtrak msrp of $65k+, and the supporting mods and cost, it seems like the best way to run 37ā€™s would be to buy a Braptor.

if you could get a $30k Base model and start from there, it seems like a good call.

I know you said youā€™re not worried about economics, but with a Braptor you also get a bigger/stronger engine.

If youā€™re intent on portals then, yes 74weld seem to be the way to go. Just wanted to add some food for thought.

Rumbloki

Badlands
First Name
Alton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ZR2, 1973 Mach 1
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Adding more un-sprung weight won't increase durability. For that you may consider doing a SAS with hydro steering.

I am curious how the portals behave going 80mph+.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Adding more un-sprung weight won't increase durability. For that you may consider doing a SAS with hydro steering.

Based on previous threads of proper wheeling lingo you MUST clarify which SAS you speak of šŸ˜‚

Sponsored

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Based on previous threads of proper wheeling lingo you MUST clarify which SAS you speak of šŸ˜‚
I understood him perfectly :) Since it's an abbreviation, SAS is proper. All the FNG's who only know about woodland monsters and nothing about proper 4X4 tech, should use "Sas" if they're too lazy to type it out šŸ¤£

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

These relate to 74Weld's portals:

- You can probably go safely up to 38's with just max tire kit and portals; above that, you'll probably need to trim the pinch weld since the scrub with the wider tire will get to it. It wasn't a lot, I don't think. The thread linked above has pages about that.

- I might put it "lowest center of gravity for 3.5" of lift". You'll also be 7" wider (give or take, given the wheel offset). That is wide (as a Braptor).

- The ~3.5" (more or less, 3.8" is for single axles on 74W portals) of clearance is pure clearance; it is an axle lift. We've seen some 6g members gain upwards of 8-9" total with other upgrades (not stock only).

- Many 6g members have talked about driving their portal-equipped Broncos from Texas to California and back (multiple times), or similar, and have talked about how quiet and normal they seem. There is the whole unsprung weight thing, you'll be adding tens and perhaps a hundred pounds per corner.

- I don't think you're adding or increasing durability. You'd have to explain what you mean. There are those who think they'll add stress to the axles and link mounts, for instance. The Rock Krawler four link has been talked about for resolving this somewhat, but the jury's still out on that.

While there are a lot of upsides, also keep in mind regular lubricant oil changes (3-5k miles) in the portals themselves. You'll also be in the first year or two of a fairly sophisticated product, so expect issues to emerge like the double shear mount fix.

I do think the only way you'll get a psuedo-2dr "Braptor" is using portals.

Last edited:

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Considering the price of $20k for portals + Wildtrak msrp of $65k+, and the supporting mods and cost, it seems like the best way to run 37ā€™s would be to buy a Braptor.

if you could get a $30k Base model and start from there, it seems like a good call.

I know you said youā€™re not worried about economics, but with a Braptor you also get a bigger/stronger engine.

If youā€™re intent on portals then, yes 74weld seem to be the way to go. Just wanted to add some food for thought.
Yea... right..... He did say clearance right?

Ford Bronco Looking into Portals what do people think? bronco vs raptor cro

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

I understood him perfectly :) Since it's an abbreviation, SAS is proper. All the FNG's who only know about woodland monsters and nothing about proper 4X4 tech, should use "Sas" if they're too lazy to type it out šŸ¤£
Beacause you pointed this out before I have started using Sasq or SASQ..... I thought you made a good point because there have been a few SASs on here and many more calling for them... Although I just point to a Jeep and say... there you go.... I like my IFS!

mjp2

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Beacause you pointed this out before I have started using Sasq or SASQ..... I thought you made a good point because there have been a few SASs on here and many more calling for them... Although I just point to a Jeep and say... there you go.... I like my IFS!
I'll now and forever read it as "Solid Axle Squap"

Sponsored

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

The Portals do phenomenally well. I actually like the added weight. It is only a problem when you are running very fast over a very rough surface so if you plan on bombing the desert I recommend wither a wild track with no lift or if you can afford it a raptor.... I do trail running which is at a much slower speed and these things are awesome. I did ungrade to a 2.5 coil over because of the additional dampening that would be required.... But man does it ride well. My opinion is that it rides better than my HOSS 2 Bilstiens did... by light years. Can not speak for the HOS 3 Foxes though.

Oh and the 74 Weld steering rack will out preform and will probably prove out to be more durable than a hydro..... I am betting on it. and it definitely handles great, unlike any recirculating ball hydro assist ever was able.

also... at 80+ on the interstate? solid, stable, planted... Motor is not turning hard. I do hit the turbos a little more often because of the rolling resistance. I think my ride on the interstate is improved.... but I do attribute a lot of that to the coil overs.

Last edited:

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The Portals do phenomenally well. I actually like the added weight. It is only a problem when you are running very fast over a very rough surface so if you plan on bombing the desert I recommend wither a wild track with no lift or if you can afford it a raptor.... I do trail running which is at a much slower speed and these things are awesome. I did ungrade to a 2.5 coil over because of the additional dampening that would be required.... But man does it ride well. My opinion is that it rides better than my HOSS 2 Bilstiens did... by light years. Can not speak for the HOS 3 Foxes though.

Oh and the 74 Weld steering rack will out preform and will probably prove out to be more durable than a hydro..... I am betting on it. and it definitely handles great, unlike any recirculating ball hydro assist ever was able.
So once you go long arm and four link, you'll be the off road beast. Do you think those will negatively affect on road manners?

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

So once you go long arm and four link, you'll be the off road beast. Do you think those will negatively affect on road manners?
Actually if done right I would think you would improve road manners... especially with the 4 link... You are not going to improve road manners with a long arm but if not done right you sure could mess it up... Now the right coil overs on a long arm could improve road manners.

remember this is just guess work on my part. You do not know for certain until you try.

Last edited:

seananigans

Wildtrak
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Wildtrak 2.7l
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
I just did King 2.5s w Cambridge upper control anrm and have the advanced fiberglass concept 5in fenders and 37s fit with plenty of room. Even with the 2022 SAS bilsteins weā€™re fine before the upgrade. It is worth noting that the tires are km3s so they are smaller than other tires. No idea if I could fit 40s tho so canā€™t speak to that at all. My front driver side axle did break in half in a mud pit with the 37s when being winched out by two jeepsā€¦. Now I have RCV front axles but they got a damn click noise when I turn.

Iā€™d say wait a bit as another poster pointed out that the portals are still new to the market.