Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23, 69 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

There's also torque management in the lower gears to protect the driveline so that might be what you're feeling. The Ford tune is in my very near future because of this issue. I know @Hossamus Prime just installed the tune on his so maybe he can chime in on this.
Sponsored

j_anderson

Outer Banks
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Mine does this too but not always. I cant seem to reliably reproduce it but I wouldn’t call it turbo lag. It legitimately feels like the engine is sputtering or stalling for several seconds. Whats odd is, I can observe this behavior like when sitting in the center turn lane and pressing the pedal to cross traffic but then drive to a stop sign at the next intersection and a gas pedal press instantly makes the vehicle move without the bog/hesitation/sputter.

60sIron

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thunderbird
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You may want to have it checked at the dealership, it could be the phaser problem in the TSB

Grumpy

Big Bend
First Name
Who's
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Well to be blunt it is called throttle lag. Your gas pedal is electronically controlled, so as a safety feature you will always have throttle lag unless you buy a looped signal controller such as Pedal Commander. Purchasing this is plug and play and has 32 different response levels for your liking. Does not void warranty nor does it communicate with any computer controls.

Last edited:

Who iz

Badlands
First Name
Otis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F250, 4Runner, Jimmy
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Ford tune is worth the $ too. Will change the Bronco's attitude in a good way.
Lethal Performance:
Ford Performance Calibration w/ ProCal 4 Calibration Delivery Tool (2021-2023 Bronco 2.7L) - M-9603-B27

Last edited:

Sponsored

VIRUS

Badlands
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck, car, feet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I only notice this when I stomp on it. Whatever it's called, it acts like it's confused by the full throttle input from my foot. Would think that even without boost, it would still accelerate. I understand turbo lag but it seems like it's waiting to make sure I really wanted my foot to go to the floor. I did 😆

If I smoothly press the pedal rather than smashing it, it doesn't hesitate.

I've noticed it when I've gone to pass or merge. Stomp it and there's a noticeable delay in acceleration. Smoothly depress and it goes just fine.

I'll have another beer now

JerryC

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I only notice this when I stomp on it. Whatever it's called, it acts like it's confused by the full throttle input from my foot. Would think that even without boost, it would still accelerate. I understand turbo lag but it seems like it's waiting to make sure I really wanted my foot to go to the floor. I did 😆

If I smoothly press the pedal rather than smashing it, it doesn't hesitate.

I've noticed it when I've gone to pass or merge. Stomp it and there's a noticeable delay in acceleration. Smoothly depress and it goes just fine.

I'll have another beer now
I've noticed this in several of past Ford automatics. It seems like it didn't know what gear it should be in just does almost nothing for a second.

Thinking about this more, stability control could be kicking in if you have the wheel turned.

On my Bronco, I've had what feels like the hill start assist stay engaged a bit long put a drag on the engine.

Hossamus Prime

Badlands
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
21 BadSquatch,‘21 ExplorerST , RIP 84 & 90 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yes, I did the Ford Performance Tune and paired it with the pedal commander. Honestly think th run is enough. Getting better gas mileage and it gets up and goes chirping tires. Highly recommend the Ford Tune. Super easy and quick to do yourself.

bradcd

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Saab 9-3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I don't get how OP just noticed this 9,000 miles in. Did your driving habits or anything else change?

EBG

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
71EB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ford intentionally limits engine power in 1st and even 2nd gear to prevent warranty repairs on driveline components. You can probably get around that with an aftermarket tune, but that will void your warranty.

Gotta love it when you pay $60K (or more) for a brand new vehicle that's marketed for off-roading and rough use, but you don't even get to use the full capabilities of the vehicle that you're paying for.

Sponsored

VIRUS

Badlands
First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Truck, car, feet
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Been putting off doing a tune but with all of the positive reviews on the Ford tune, probably going to add it. Mainly for the improvement in shifting.

It seems like mine is in the wrong gear and rather than a downshift, it just increases boost. It will downshift if I really get on it but then it's at about 3700 rpm.
Adding sport mode helped but it sounds like if you want to see real improvement, need to tune it.

Quite the money maker for Ford. Tune it like a dog from the start and then offer a $700 tune to make it operate the way it should have from the beginning.

Billnchristy

Black Diamond
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bmw m440i gc,2022 BD 2dr, 1966 mustang
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

As I said in the lag thread, put it in M and start in second, it will take off much better. First gear is useless when launching.
Sponsored