Sponsored

Metal-tech 4x4 Sidewinder Rock Sliders - 100% Frame mounted now available w/Cerakoted Step Plates

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

@Bored
I will take the bent slider main body warranty knowing the Metal-tech 4x4 slider saved some guys frame from getting bent/blown out. Built with 24yrs of hard trail experience, backed with a limited lifetime warranty for a reason.
How does the warranty work?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Metal-tech 4x4

Metal-tech 4x4

Raptor
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21'+ 22" Broncos, Lexus GX470, Toyota FJ40
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Outbound Exploration

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Chevy Sonic Hatchback RS, Looking to upgrade to Bronco*
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When the 2 door version is ready, sign us up for two! Looking forward to rocking this on our Badlands and Wildtrak🤙

Nacl_Wander

Badlands
First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Happy to respond to this, drawing from 35+ years of offroading and just under 24yrs doing it and building parts professionally.

Some comp guys have used cutting boards for years, AKA UHMW plastic glides. At the same time, some comp guys have also stopped using them, too, opting for steel or alloys to slide just fine on rocks.

In 35+ years of wheeling, I have never found myself saying, "Man, if only I had put a plastic glide on X, I could have made that obstacle". Matched-built rigs one with UHMW and one w/o driven by the same driver, will have the same capability of making it through an obstacle.

Years ago, we tested plastic on the lower links and skids our custom long-arm, long-travel FJ Cruiser and FJ40 rock-built truck. The thought was we could glide over rocks more easily. I could never find a difference vrs. Steel for how smoothly the truck went through the rocks. The downside was that I actually did wheel the FJ in rocks and the plastic started to get chewed up over time and caught, thus not sliding as well or working down, exposing the flat head fasteners holding the plastic. But the plastic keeps corrosion from happening, right? Nope. also over time, moisture built up between the mounting points and the plastic, and corrosion showed up. (guys usually promote UHMP live and wheel mostly in dry climates, where this is not an issue) Also, water worked inside the links through the mounting holes, again over time. I found no value anywhere outside of dedicated rocks since trees, roots, and mud just get packed into them. This was also on a truck that went into big rocks quite a bit; for most daily drivers, never see anything like that.

"Races are won in the garage" is a quote from all competition motorsports. In off-road comp use, you run your buggy, then go home and tear it down, check everything (including your glides if you run them) replace wear points, rebuild your suspension, etc., before racing it again. Sport performance offroad use, we never see or do this. Of course, we maintain, but no full teardowns. Most go deep into their trucks only to fix a broken thing but not strip it down, rebuild the suspension, etc., between runs. For Sport use, we need simple but proven performance upgrades that don't require regular service post-hard use.

Bottom line: With little to no significant gain in the rocks with them for sport use, they came off our trucks just like carrying around a 40 to 60lbs full Co2 tank to fill tires vs. a 20-pound good air compressor did. It seems like a great idea, but as you put the ideas to real use, the value is not there. I encourage whatever would be added to the build budget for plastic to be moved to something that has a higher ROI since we all know our trucks always need another upgraded part somewhere!

However, some, will indeed find value in plastic on skids/sliders in some way to them. If they do, I am happy for them. At the end of the day, if we have been on ANY offroad trail and we all make it home with our trucks under their own power, it's been a good day.

Mark Hawley
Founding owner of Metal-tech 4x4
Any word on when the 2 door version will be available?

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

I bought the other style with flat step on 2 Dr half cab...We will buy the 25 degree set as well as soon as there available for 2dr...need em for wife's 2dr WT. The Original ones are well made and I was able to mount them rearward 1" to clear my 40s. Excellent products at fair prices. Highly Recommended!!!

Sponsored

popo_patty

Big Bend
First Name
Caleb
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco/1996 Jeep XJ/1957 FC-150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Big fan of Metaltech sliders after seeing my buddy hit em everywhere on the Rubicon and they held up great.

OP
OP
Metal-tech 4x4

Metal-tech 4x4

Raptor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

@Metal-tech 4x4 any update on the 2 door sidewinders? thank you!
So close. We had been trying to devise a simpler way (to lower cost) to mount the front foot to the frame, as we did with the 4D. However, Ford just did not give us enough access to the inside of the frame on the 2D's. The forward sub-mount we have been using is still the best way to get solid bolt-on points to the frame, as we also grab the lower part of the transmission cross member. There is a crazy strong point, and it does not affect any skid plate systems. However, we updated how our sub-mounts fit to make installing them easier. We also were able to move the rear mount about as far back on the frame as you can go to give the slider the strongest possible rear support to the main body. We test-fitted the new mounts on a brand new 24' and are moving them to production right now. Laser cutting is inbound. Once we have the first sets ready, we will make an announcement.

OP
OP
Metal-tech 4x4

Metal-tech 4x4

Raptor
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Big fan of Metaltech sliders after seeing my buddy hit em everywhere on the Rubicon and they held up great.

Thats outstanding! Rubicon and Broncos are a great combo!

rich

Badlands
First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Rubicon, Moto Guzzi V7 III
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So close. We had been trying to devise a simpler way (to lower cost) to mount the front foot to the frame, as we did with the 4D. However, Ford just did not give us enough access to the inside of the frame on the 2D's. The forward sub-mount we have been using is still the best way to get solid bolt-on points to the frame, as we also grab the lower part of the transmission cross member. There is a crazy strong point, and it does not affect any skid plate systems. However, we updated how our sub-mounts fit to make installing them easier. We also were able to move the rear mount about as far back on the frame as you can go to give the slider the strongest possible rear support to the main body. We test-fitted the new mounts on a brand new 24' and are moving them to production right now. Laser cutting is inbound. Once we have the first sets ready, we will make an announcement.
thank you for the update and the transparency. Myself and I'm sure many others are patiently awaiting these.
Sponsored