Reaction score
Website
michiganbroncos.club
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

the origins of the current shortage can be traced back to the automotive industry. In the early stages of the pandemic, automakers drastically cut back demand for processors in anticipation of falling sales.
Just curious if there’s any links or articles supporting this? I had not heard this other than this forum.

OP
OP
bytheway

bytheway

Badlands
First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just curious if there’s any links or articles supporting this? I had not heard this other than this forum.
https://hbr.org/2021/02/why-were-in-the-midst-of-a-global-semiconductor-shortage

Have you tried to buy anything in the last 6 months? It's not just Ford. It's everything. What you can find has doubled or tripled in price. No one can produce right now. A lot of places can't even hire people because they are getting paid too well to stay at home. Every single point in the supply chain has been hit.

So, for the 5 year old explanation, everyone is having this problem, not just Ford.
10-12 weeks used to be a long lead time in my industry. Now that seems good.One of my main suppliers is 30 weeks out on new orders. Plus they had a price increase in April and added an 8% steel surcharge on top.

Sponsored

Chief1301

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Ford Mustang GT Premium; 1994 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Yep...i knew it. Seems like my faith for MAP to be unaffected by shutdowns now needs to go into the file folder that also includes my childhood hope that the easter bunny and santa were real. That folders label is "You have no shot".
Santa's not real! 😢

Broncodave

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dodge Challenger/Nissan Xterra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

When you take the red pill, you’re gonna find out there never actually was a 6th generation Bronco being produced.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

A business update was posted on the our dealer website. Frick basically said it wasn't just one supplier causing the problem and things literally change from day to day. Not much detail but there was a lot in the 60 Minutes piece. One would assume the auto industry had contracts to provide X number of a certain semi conductor with X supplier. When 'rona hit the car makers shut down but I don't think any of them said they weren't going to build what was planned. Chip makers switched production to other areas, there was a problem at one supplier that took out some equipment that is one off stuff and here we are.

Some of the blame can probably be directed to just in time delivery and suppliers scared to keep any meaningful inventory supplies in the event one of their suppliers has issues. No money tied up in inventory + lean manufacturing + fast turns=lower expenses for Ford. Not enough redundancy in this business and workforce issues have created this perfectly imperfect situation. If this doesn't wake folks up and make them see we need to do more on our own soil we are likely to see this happen again.

Lilj4425

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

2Jeeps&PatriotX1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Well, I am not privy to inside chip information, but I can tell you the Webasto plant is a few miles from my house, has been running 24/7 and seems to struggle to produce anything, much less what Ford requires. I also know they have been trying to hire for months and they are still way behind. We will likely know more shortly, but for my $ and what I know (not much) it’s the hard tops and supplier as much as anything else right now. For whatever pain it causes us, I can guarantee that Ford’s costs dwarf ours. They are likely going to have to build and park vehicles with the wrong tops and then remanufacture them when they have the right top in. With all the vehicles stacking up, it is going to be very costly and very difficult to get everything back on track.
I stated awhile back when Ford announced the no mod top for 21 and then the free headliner for hardtop orders that the writing was on the wall that it won't be long before we receive notice that its soft tops for everyone or push to 22. Problem with that is, Webasto makes the soft tops too:rolleyes: and can't hire enough people for the $15/hr.

Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

Dealer Demo's be damned, give us our Bronco's! I would gladly take a soft top until my hardtop can actually be built as a side note to Ford :)
Yeah - Ford: I have a solution:

If you want to deliver a two door with a Besttop, that still has the hard top wiring and plumbing disconnects, and then sell me a white top late next year, I will take that deal in a heart beat!​
Seriously though: this is a two week shut down. Given the state of things in Michigan, that smacks of COVID. Hope everyone working at MAP and the suppliers stay healthy (or recover successfully / quickly), and are able to get vaccinated if they haven't been able to.

swami37

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Ford F-1 and 2020 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I bought a new Ram 1500 last week because my lease is up June 1st on my F150 and I am not playing the additional months rent game with ford credit only they win with that. I switched to the ram for two reasons new f150's are few and far between and quite honestly my Ram 1500 limited night edition is a nicer truck inside and out..I am holding on to my Bronco order but honestly probably just to put it back on the market once it arrives..this whole debacle may have (depending on the Ram and how it lasts) cost Ford a 20 year patron who leases a new vehicle every 24 months...get you crap together Ford its embarrasing..and dont tell me its a chip problem or its a covid problem..they have screwed the pooch on this Bronco since they first announced it..and maybe just maybe you should mean it when you say built in the USA and you might not be having a chip issue........
Bye bye

Big L 65

Outer Banks
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
“…Michigan Assembly Plant will be down weeks of May 17 and 24. (In every case except Michigan Assembly, this is a continuation of previously announced down time.)”

Not trying to do clickbait with the title, but just saw this and seems MAP is subject to a previously unannounced shut down.

Ford Bronco Michigan Assembly Plant - Two Week Shutdown (May 17 and 24) GlaringInconsequentialAmericanbulldog-size_restricted
This is a Outrage 😡😡

basundy

Outer Banks
First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F150
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This would probably explain the lack of emails the past week.

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I stated awhile back when Ford announced the no mod top for 21 and then the free headliner for hardtop orders that the writing was on the wall that it won't be long before we receive notice that its soft tops for everyone or push to 22. Problem with that is, Webasto makes the soft tops too:rolleyes: and can't hire enough people for the $15/hr.
Last I heard, they were up to $17 plus $3 temporary Covid pay. Still wasn't enough to get people in the door (at least that are able to speak some english).
Sponsored