Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No source.

Just a lifetime in corporate America.
And Ford has been dealing with the chip issue for some time now.
Well, I am not privy to inside chip information, but I can tell you the Webasto plant is a few miles from my house, has been running 24/7 and seems to struggle to produce anything, much less what Ford requires. I also know they have been trying to hire for months and they are still way behind. We will likely know more shortly, but for my $ and what I know (not much) it’s the hard tops and supplier as much as anything else right now. For whatever pain it causes us, I can guarantee that Ford’s costs dwarf ours. They are likely going to have to build and park vehicles with the wrong tops and then remanufacture them when they have the right top in. With all the vehicles stacking up, it is going to be very costly and very difficult to get everything back on track.
Sponsored

Last edited:

uniqueusername

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ok...can someone explain like I'm 5 why this is so hard for Ford?

Allegedly chips aren't an issue for Broncos. So that means this is a parts/supply chain issue, right?

2017 Ford begins talk of relaunching the Bronco. The reveal of the line July 9, 2020 July 13, 2020 (thanks, OJ). Then 10 months (4 years depending on when you start counting) later Ford acts surprised that people actually want to buy these and start scrambling to secure necessary materials to build them.

ronstar

Big Bend
First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150, Jeep JL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Obviously it’s going to push production by two weeks. So more than likely you’ll be pushed two weeks.
And what happens in 2 weeks when they still don’t have chips?

MorgansRun

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 330e
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Allegedly chips aren't an issue for Broncos. So that means this is a parts/supply chain issue, right?

2017 Ford begins talk of relaunching the Bronco. The reveal of the line July 9, 2020 July 13, 2020 (thanks, OJ). Then 10 months (4 years depending on when you start counting) later Ford acts surprised that people actually want to buy these and start scrambling to secure necessary materials to build them.
Because the entire industry was short-sighted thinking no one would buy cars for 2 years when the pandemic hit. Hyundai/Kia and Toyota still bought some and were spared until recently.

Where's my PS5, by the way?

Ig_bronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Imma throw my two cents in here for those who want some. I saw folks up in arms over these shutdowns. If anyone is a UAW worker or was they should know there is always a shut down around summer time. I posted about this chip shortage last month when my dad got shut down for a week. (GM employee) He just told me about this new shutdown which is the chips, GM is taking volunteers for next week. Off topic but I have extra help at house work now:). As far as ford goes, a little birdy told me the bronco's are first for these chips and production shouldn't be as slow as people are making it seem so take that for what its worth. He said at their plant they're still working just a lot slower that's all. I am still saving and paying on my JKU. I will admit I'm becoming more and more eager to be sitting in my new car.

Sponsored

Mattwings

Badlands
First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Dealer Demo's be damned, give us our Bronco's! I would gladly take a soft top until my hardtop can actually be built as a side note to Ford :)

Bdisco

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘88 911,‘15 Chevy 2500, ‘24 Acura Integra Type S
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

BmoreCmore

Wildtrak
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Charger Scatpack
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
That’s exactly
Ford does seem to dole out the bad news piecemeal rather than one large truth-bomb. Give it to me all at once, doc. I can take it. 😬
what they are doing 😂

uniqueusername

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Because the entire industry was short-sighted thinking no one would buy cars for 2 years when the pandemic hit. Hyundai/Kia and Toyota still bought some and were spared until recently.

Where's my PS5, by the way?
I have a hard time with it being a strictly chip issue. If it is, why not just come out and announce that the chip shortage will impact Bronco production in a similar way as F150 production. Are they that worried that thousands of people will cancel orders for vehicles they cannot make? The $100 reservation fee cannot mean that much to them.

Sponsored

timhood

Badlands
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Several
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As the designated forum group therapist, I will say that if you are bothered by this, it's time to log off and stay off for a while. I'd recommend forgetting anything about the Bronco until you get your estimated build date. Trying to micro-manage this process from the outside is a futile effort. :)

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Have you tried to buy anything in the last 6 months? It's not just Ford. It's everything. What you can find has doubled or tripled in price. No one can produce right now. A lot of places can't even hire people because they are getting paid too well to stay at home. Every single point in the supply chain has been hit.

So, for the 5 year old explanation, everyone is having this problem, not just Ford.

MorgansRun

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW 330e
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have a hard time with it being a strictly chip issue. If it is, why not just come out and announce that the chip shortage will impact Bronco production in a similar way as F150 production. Are they that worried that thousands of people will cancel orders for vehicles they cannot make? The $100 reservation fee cannot mean that much to them.
They're worried about the impact to people who mean the most to them...shareholders, with dealerships a close (?) second.

Stu baby

Outer Banks
First Name
Steph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Audi
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Webasto has been the turd in the punchbowl for quite awhile now. But this shutdown kinda sounds more like "IF" the tops become available - not "WHEN". If it was just a volume availability issue, why would they not just finagle the schedule to start with soft tops...and sprinkle in a few MICs as they go?
This 👆
Sponsored