Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.offroadalliance.com
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
That’s what I’m thinking I’ll try. Use the smarter home one - back in - raise a few inches - pull forward - be careful not to bump top.

how do these rigs attach to the hard top?
usually through flat clamps to the side of the hard top or there are some that go through the topper at the front and out the back.

Lift up, secure a corner so it doesnt spin, pull forward carefully and youre good.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Mscdman

Outer Banks
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
usually through flat clamps to the side of the hard top or there are some that go through the topper at the front and out the back.

Lift up, secure a corner so it doesnt spin, pull forward carefully and youre good.
Do you know if the smarter home hoist comes with those flat clips you mention?

Fly

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Outback
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I have a bronco 2-door hardtop, and I’m in desperate need of some way to store the hardtop. Right now, it is looking like a hoist is the only option.

The issue is that my garage is not very tall. I currently only have about 2 feet from the top of the bronco hardtop to the top of my garage.

Would a hoist work? Which ones are best for my scenario?
I have low ceilings like yourself and went with a simple setup 4 ratchet straps at each corner and screw eye into the ceiling at these points. It is very efficient as far as using the space to raise the hardtop and doesn't take very long. You basically adjust one corner at a time and dont need a ton of space since the hooks connect to the bottom of the rear hardtop and the front ones connect to the bolt holes for the top. The whole cost was maybe $20-30. If I am going to keep the top off for more than a day or so then I have a 2x4 with 2 more screw eyes in it and 2 more ratchet straps that I connect under the rear of the hardtop to add support so it isn't hanging on those corners.

Pics (you can see the unistrut rail on the ceiling for my failed electric winch setup)

Ford Bronco Min Height Required for Hoist? IMG_7055

Mrchoochoo

Outer Banks
First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

That's a 10' ceiling and a surface mounted harbor freight 800lb hoist. Using the stock pulley/snatch hook. The cradle I made from unistrut and custom tiedown hooks are another 6" or so. Leaves about 6-8" of clearance. I use additional unistrut on ceiling and threaded rod with 1x2 aluminum tubing to create a floating shelf to support / store the top once it is raised - taking pressure off the hooks but not disconnecting.
I really love the frame made of struts. I want to make one like that for my hoist. Is there any way you can post the dimensions and more detailed pics? I saved a few pics you had posted in my thread about lifts. I want to build one like yours please. It looks perfect

Mrchoochoo

Outer Banks
First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have a bronco 2-door hardtop, and I’m in desperate need of some way to store the hardtop. Right now, it is looking like a hoist is the only option.

The issue is that my garage is not very tall. I currently only have about 2 feet from the top of the bronco hardtop to the top of my garage.

Would a hoist work? Which ones are best for my scenario?
I saw a thread in here where the guy mounted the hoist in his attic and ran the cable through a hole in the ceiling...saved a lot of room. He had shot ceilings also

Sponsored

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Energi, Ducati XDiavel
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I really love the frame made of struts. I want to make one like that for my hoist. Is there any way you can post the dimensions and more detailed pics? I saved a few pics you had posted in my thread about lifts. I want to build one like yours please. It looks perfect
Sure thing...I'll take some better pics and some get measurements and hardware etc.

Mjasi3

Big Bend
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
OP
OP

Mscdman

Outer Banks
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I have low ceilings like yourself and went with a simple setup 4 ratchet straps at each corner and screw eye into the ceiling at these points. It is very efficient as far as using the space to raise the hardtop and doesn't take very long. You basically adjust one corner at a time and dont need a ton of space since the hooks connect to the bottom of the rear hardtop and the front ones connect to the bolt holes for the top. The whole cost was maybe $20-30. If I am going to keep the top off for more than a day or so then I have a 2x4 with 2 more screw eyes in it and 2 more ratchet straps that I connect under the rear of the hardtop to add support so it isn't hanging on those corners.

Pics (you can see the unistrut rail on the ceiling for my failed electric winch setup)

Looks great!!

OP
OP

Mscdman

Outer Banks
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I saw a thread in here where the guy mounted the hoist in his attic and ran the cable through a hole in the ceiling...saved a lot of room. He had shot ceilings also
That’s a possibility

OP
OP

Mscdman

Outer Banks
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Can someone post a link or pictures of these flat clamps/grips they got to grip the top of the hard top? Looks like they slide into the holes.

very interested

Sponsored

Johnny Mo

Raptor
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
teachu2shoot.com
Vehicle(s)
Ford Fusion Energi, Ducati XDiavel
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

I added the newer close up photos to the main photo gallery I have:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Eerm1DfNpW1yvwyw7

The frame itself is 41.5" x 24" with 45* miter cuts at the corners and 90* joining corner plates - you need this to be mitered in order to ensure you can get both bolts of the outside 90* corner plates connected on both sides of the 90.

The center picking bar is 22.5" and connected with T joints (some of the old photos show 2 bars but that made it so much heavier - this design works better. This is all done with shallow strut. The bolts are all 3/8 grade 10. (overkill). There are 2 eyebolts in the picking bar one for loaded and one for unloaded so it stays level when empty.

The custom tie downs are 8" long this is the exact order https://customtiedowns.com/search.php?q=7641-BD0.67

The rear roof section is slightly wider in front than rear so rather than make the cage a trapezoid, I spaced it so that if the tiedowns were secured on the inner for the rear and outer for the front - it compensates for the width difference.

Finally the entire thing is sprayed with PlastiDip and I added some pool noodle/pipe wrap to protect from hitting the roof hard...it is a pretty hefty rig compared to the others on the market. In theory I could probably bolt another piece of unistrut across the width and hang a sling to hold my roof mid panel - but I'll play with that idea soon.

The last piece is the deep strut on the ceiling at 60 or so wide (might be 66) to drop threaded rod from the ceiling and then attach a pair of 1x2 aluminum rounded corner tubes to support the roof when it is being stored so it is not hanging from the roof rack slots. I turn the wingnuts just enough to relieve pressure on the hooks but not dislodge them. I also stuck pipe foam to the top and bottom as a little bit of padding so I can rest the tubing on the roof or roll bar as needed - I can do the whole thing solo in about 20 min. Oh and I used some paracord to tie the hooks back so they aren't flopping around when the hoist is raising/lowering empty.

Oh and probably most important the flat hooks I got are SUPER STRONG and if you want to coat them or protect the top a little - they need to be opened up to about 60* or more if you can manage that.

Yes it is 100% overkill but it was a fun project I did with my brother.

Hope that helps!

Ford Bronco Min Height Required for Hoist? PXL_20240515_214833629

Last edited:

kr_1315

Black Diamond
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Tundra, Explorer, IS500, '23 Bronco 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Here is my homemade hoist. 8 foot ceiling. Works well.
Ford Bronco Min Height Required for Hoist? BH1
Ford Bronco Min Height Required for Hoist? BH2

Ironiguana

Black Diamond
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'll bet mine is a similar height. I'll check later.
Right now I am using some home built rope hoist, it works ok.
I bought, but have yet to install my Harken Hoister.
A friend has one and loves it. One arm lift of an old Chevy Blazer hard top.... heavy!!!
His wife can use it no problems.
Pull one rope, it lifts from 4 points, equally.

https://www.amazon.com/HARKEN-Self-...0OwTRpxa_E0b7hicg2QxJdDC9ccrex6BoCmRcQAvD_BwE
I use the Harken on an 8' ceiling. Looks like this:

Ford Bronco Min Height Required for Hoist? bronco top hoist

OP
OP

Mscdman

Outer Banks
First Name
P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I added the newer close up photos to the main photo gallery I have:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/Eerm1DfNpW1yvwyw7

The frame itself is 41.5" x 24" with 45* miter cuts at the corners and 90 joining corners - you need this to be mitered in order to ensure you can get both bolts of the outside 90* corners connected on both sides of the 90.

The center picking bar is 22.5" and connected with T joints. This is all done with shallow strut. The bolts are all 3/8 grade 10. (overkill). There are 2 eyebolts in the picking bar one for loaded and one for unloaded so it stays level when empty.

The custom tie downs are 8" long this is the exact order https://customtiedowns.com/search.php?q=7641-BD0.67

The rear roof section is slightly wider in front than rear so rather than make the cage a trapezoid, I spaced it so that if the tiedowns were secured on the inner for the rear and outer for the front - it compensates for the width difference.

Finally the entire thing is sprayed with PlastiDip and I added some pool noodle/pipe wrap to protect from hitting the roof hard...it is a pretty hefty rig compared to the others on the market. In theory I could probably bolt another piece of unistrut across the width and hang a sling to hold my roof mid panel - but I'll play with that idea soon.

The last piece is the deep strut on the ceiling at 60 or so wide (might be 66) to drop threaded road from the ceiling and then attach a pair of 1x2 aluminum rounded corner tubes to support the roof when it is being stored so it is not hanging from the roof rack slots. I turn the wingnuts just enough to relieve pressure on the hooks but not dislodge them. I also stuck pipe foam to the top and bottom as a little bit of padding so I can rest the tubing on the roof or roll bar as needed - I can do the whole thing solo in about 20 min. Oh and I used some paracord to tie the hooks back so they aren't flopping around when the hoist is raising/lowering empty.

Oh and probably most important the flat hooks I got are SUPER STRONG and if you want to coat them or protect the top a little - they need to be opened up to about 60* or more if you can manage that.

Yes it is 100% overkill but it was a fun project I did with my brother.

Hope that helps!

Ford Bronco Min Height Required for Hoist? bronco top hoist
Where did you get the flat hooks?