Sponsored

Modifying/customizing the Bronco after purchase voids the warranty?

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Can't believe it took 8 post for this to come up. normally it's part of the first response.

Glad at least one person brought it up.
The problem with this is the dealer can refuse the warranty work, and then the owner has to prove their mods didn't affect the failure.
Its supposed to work the other way, but that unfortunately does not happen in reality.
Meanwhile the dealer has the vehicle held hostage, or you have a broken vehicle sitting in your driveway/garage while the battle ensues. If it goes to court, it could take months or years
Sponsored

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Our usual line is, "adding a blah blah blah blah, won't void your warranty. However, if that part fails and is the direct cause of an OEM part to fail, it's a not warrantable."

You off-road your rig over the weekend and bash in the plate under the fuel tank so bad it deforms the plastic and messes the pump up, your problem.

You tap into the factory wiring and it's found to be a direct relation to a module, wiring or other part failure, your problem.

I started a thread on our internal Ford message boards about warranty specifically on Bronco since it's being marketed for off-road. They obviously have disclosures built into some of their advertising like water fording. Ford has really, really, really cracked down on warranty repairs and actively looks for ways to deny claims, usually by claiming incomplete diagnostics, one time use parts, specific cleaners, silicones or not seeing certain buzz words in a technician's write up. It's insane to be in a Ford service department over the last few years.

This is going to be a real issue for customers and dealers if we don't get some clarification. I can't make a call on a repair, do the work, then have Ford charge the claim back (which happens regularly to all dealers). This is my view, if you abused something, you know it and more than likely we are going to see it too. Be upfront and don't try to b/s me because there is a hefty financial consequence to me if a claim is denied by Ford after the fact. If I can't prove beyond doubt there was abuse or a modification caused a problem, I will do everything I can to get it covered. The solution would be for Ford to come out with some guidelines on how we handle grey area situations. I don't want to piss customers off over warranty calls but can't be put in a situation I may be paying for the repair if Ford doesn't.

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

You off-road your rig over the weekend and bash in the plate under the fuel tank so bad it deforms the plastic and messes the pump up, your problem.
I don't think this is a good example to use.

If it's the stock bash plate, then that is a failed OEM part, causing damage to another OEM part and that should 100% be covered under warranty.
The vehicle is marketed as being able to go off-road and those parts are marketed as protecting the parts above it
Ford Bronco Modifying/customizing the Bronco after purchase voids the warranty? 1621605589421

Ford Bronco Modifying/customizing the Bronco after purchase voids the warranty? 1621605655886

Ford Bronco Modifying/customizing the Bronco after purchase voids the warranty? 1621605676668

Ford Bronco Modifying/customizing the Bronco after purchase voids the warranty? 1621605707759

Ford Bronco Modifying/customizing the Bronco after purchase voids the warranty? 1621605807770

If this results in a warranty denial, this is a perfect example of where people will bail on the Bronco. Ford needs to get these situations correct.

Last edited:

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't think this is a good example to use.

If it's the stock bash plate, then that is a failed OEM part, causing damage to another OEM part and that should 100% be covered under warranty.
The vehicle is marketed as being able to go off-road and those parts are marketed as protecting the parts above it
Ford Bronco Modifying/customizing the Bronco after purchase voids the warranty? 1621605807770

If this results in a warranty denial, this is a perfect example of where people will bail on the Bronco. Ford needs to get these situations correct.
I used that example from several repairs that have really happened. The messaging they are using is the problem and you brought up a perfect example of what I'm talking about. The reality is the warranty rules we have to go by don't agree with product marketing.

In the fuel pump example the metal plate under the plastic tank is there to reduce the risk of puncture to the tank which could result in a fiery death. The plates were pushed up by stump/rock/deer into the tank hard enough to physically damage the pump inside the tank. This isn't a defect in workmanship or materials, it is damage. Could you run it warranty and get away with it? Possibly. Do you risk a chargeback if they call the part back for inspection? Probably.

This can turn into a minefield for dealers, Ford and customers and the reason I brought it up weeks ago. Last thing we want is a fight with a customer over coverage, second last is be on the hook for it when Ford denies it. Ultimately, they have final say right or wrong, fair or not. Only advice I can give is when you get your vehicle open the on-line owners manual and read about warranty coverages, statement on abuse, misuse and maintenance. The info. might save some headaches down the road and help us avoid a very uncomfortable conversation when something breaks.

I'm not anti-upgrade/aftermarket/accessory guy but I am very against subsidizing repairs Ford decides not to pay for.

BroncoAgain

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"14 Wrangler JKUR, Ram 2500 6.7 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Lots of talk about HP upgrades to the 2.3 and 2.7. How is that going to work when a drive train failure happens. Trans, axle, diffs, and everything else including the engine is affected by added HP. Bigger tires also put more strain on the entire drive train.

Sponsored

DHC

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Porsche 911
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Google "Magnuson Moss Warranty Act" and never, ever trust a dealer.

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Lots of talk about HP upgrades to the 2.3 and 2.7. How is that going to work when a drive train failure happens. Trans, axle, diffs, and everything else including the engine is affected by added HP. Bigger tires also put more strain on the entire drive train.
If the tune is from Ford, you should not have any issues. If you get a 3rd party tune, get ready for a battle. With the larger tires, could be the same thing if a suspension part or driveline component fails

@flip
Your statement and the fact that I ran into a similar issue with a previously leased Escape does have me worried.

Improper warranty support is the one item that will have me bail on any platform.

Jmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Doesn’t Ford reimburse the dealer for warranty work and thus wouldn’t the dealer want to fix a given issue and minimize any cost to the end customer? Either way they will get paid, right? If this is the case I would think most dealers would try to get warranty to cover so the customer is happy and be a returning customer...

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If the tune is from Ford, you should not have any issues. If you get a 3rd party tune, get ready for a battle. With the larger tires, could be the same thing if a suspension part or driveline component fails

@flip
Your statement and the fact that I ran into a similar issue with a previously leased Escape does have me worried.

Improper warranty support is the one item that will have me bail on any platform.
Factory tune-no issues. Almost all aftermarket tunes-very few issues. Severe lack of maintenance-issues. Abuse or visible damage-issues.

We always give the customer the benefit of the doubt and if it's a questionable call, do everything to cover our butts with pics, prior approval and documentation. We are on the customer's side more than Ford but there are times you have to call it what it is. Most folks know ahead of time something isn't going to be covered when it's that obvious but they still try.

Got one right now that is leased by Enterprise to a company that does work in mines. They had a turbo repair done on their truck at another dealer. Made it about 1,000 miles before it locked up due to lack of oil. Other dealer claimed they changed oil as part of the repair but when it got here there were about 2oz that came out. Engine sludged up and filter looked like it had been on there for 10,000 miles. We call it lack of maintenance, called customer and explained, called Enterprise, other dealer called us and got the story. Bottom line, customer said fix it and they would fight it out with other dealer or Enterprise. Truck has been fixed and gone for over 3 weeks and no one has paid the $18,000 bill. Ford fleet called yesterday wanting to know why it wasn't warranty was trying to play referee between customer, other dealer and Enterprise.

This kind of scat happens all the time anymore.

flip

Badlands
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ruxerparts.com
Vehicle(s)
Fords
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Doesn’t Ford reimburse the dealer for warranty work and thus wouldn’t the dealer want to fix a given issue and minimize any cost to the end customer? Either way they will get paid, right? If this is the case I would think most dealers would try to get warranty to cover so the customer is happy and be a returning customer...
Here's another example: Customer states passenger power mirror doesn't move up or down.
Test, test, test. Has power and ground to mirror motor so motor is bad and only serviced as the whole assembly which is $1500. Replace mirror and everything works correctly. Warranty right?

Ford calls the old mirror back and says they tested it and is working correctly. Entire claim, part and labor charged back to dealer. We appeal and then they say we did not provide results of a test step that directly lead to mirror replacement. Every....single.....day.

To qualify, our FIRTFT (fix it right the first time) score is 98-99%. It was diagnosed and fixed correctly but they have the legal ability to deny a claim for almost anything. We ate the entire claim.

Sponsored

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yea I don't doubt it.
This is great information and examples. Thanks for sharing (y)

Viciouscycl

Badlands
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK unlimited Sahara
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I just talked to one of the guys at Long Lewis Ford and he said modifying/customizing the Bronco after purchase voids the warranty! Is this legit or partially true? There are so many people here I can hardly get a minute with the guy.
Internals - My understanding is that YES even minor changes (aka modify CPU to correct speedo for tire size change) will cause warranty issues....unless you work with the dealership to make the change.

Externals (add-on gear [tires,rims, lights, snorkel, etc]) - as stated previously unless it causes a problem, not covered in & of itself but vehicle is still covered.

This is what I've been told...untested!
YMMV
Sponsored