Sponsored

Advice needed... Does modifying the BB decrease or increase the potential trade-in value?

GiveItaTri

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Quick background info:
11/2020 Badlands res/order with Granger - gonna be 5-7 years
12/2021 Badlands order with local dealer (because of above situation) - gonna be 2-4 years
Bought very basic Big Bend at MSRP because my F150 was going to die.

Question: Does modifying the BB decrease or increase the potential trade-in value? Which mods are smarter?
Sponsored

ABorges

Base
First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1973 F100
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Quick background info:
12/2021 Badlands order with local dealer (because of above situation) - gonna be 2-4 years

Question: Does modifying the BB decrease or increase the potential trade-in value? Which mods are smarter?
If you plan on trading it in, I wouldn't spend too much on it it is going to hold its value just fine. If you buy expensive upgrades, not sure if you will make your money back.

Heart2

Big Bend
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I believe it would depend on the specific mods and the potential buyer. Some mods can detract from resale values, while others may increase the value. I don't believe that residual values or trade-in values increase because of lift for example. The Bronco will depreciate with or without mods.

Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It depends on what you do to it obviously... but regardless of what you do, you are HIGHLY unlikely going to get that money back in full. You can spend $2500 on a new set of wheels/tires, but when you go to trade that in you're probably only going to get a $600 - $800 of that back in trade-in value. So either way it's going to be a net negative for you.

So if you do put money into it, only do so if you personally will get something out of it during the 2-3 years you own it.

One of the "safest" modifications you can do is leather seats. Katzkin seems to be the most common choice these days. But again, you likely won't get back the amount you paid into it, so I'd only do it if you personally want leather seats for the next 2+ years while you wait for your Bronco.

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Quick background info:

2 - 4 years for a 12/2021 order!? Man, that would be anathema to the way I live life. There must be some real "planner" personality types in the Bronco market, to be ordering vehicles 4 years out. :eek:

Silver-Bolt

Wildtrak
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Raptor, 2020 Audi SQ5, 2023 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Plan on a Zero return on your mod investment. On a trade they will add no value and in some cases lower it. If you sell it outright you may get a little more if you happen to find a buyer that wants the exact same mods. I now keep my factory parts as mods go on. That way I can always put it back to factory stock if needed.

RunNGunArk

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

One thing to consider,
Dealers can do this new and sell for higher price because they can get people financed. But reselling person to person, it will be harder to finance for above book value.

No question dealers are taking BB"s and putting lifts/tires etc on it and getting much more money for it...but know the OVER MSRP price game will dwindle as more inventory enters the market.

I bought a 21 Jeep JLUR last January when I realized that I wouldnt be able to get my bronco in 21., i put tires/wheels on it....no lift (sold my factory wheels/tires) I didnt want to spend too much on it knowing i would trade in about year...
SO, if you can sell your factory tires/wheels for a little, upgrade the tires/wheels and maybe a small level lift, you'll prob be good.. but not make any money on it..

OP
OP
GiveItaTri

GiveItaTri

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

One thing to consider,
Dealers can do this new and sell for higher price because they can get people financed. But reselling person to person, it will be harder to finance for above book value.

No question dealers are taking BB"s and putting lifts/tires etc on it and getting much more money for it...but know the OVER MSRP price game will dwindle as more inventory enters the market.

I bought a 21 Jeep JLUR last January when I realized that I wouldnt be able to get my bronco in 21., i put tires/wheels on it....no lift (sold my factory wheels/tires) I didnt want to spend too much on it knowing i would trade in about year...
SO, if you can sell your factory tires/wheels for a little, upgrade the tires/wheels and maybe a small level lift, you'll prob be good.. but not make any money on it..
Thanks for your response. I'm not trying to "flip" the Bronco for profit. I just don't want to actually decrease the value of it by modifying it.

Sponsored

RunNGunArk

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for your response. I'm not trying to "flip" the Bronco for profit. I just don't want to actually decrease the value of it by modifying it.
to the point above about not wanting to buy one that is lifted, when i bought my second jeep, i specifically wanted one NOT lifted to know it wasnt beat up/off roaded a bunch..
i'd say if you pick some conservative mods.. (Black rims, nice tires...sorry if i step on toes.. but not 20" etc...) you surely shouldn't cause it to be worth less than stock..
just my opinions ;-)

OP
OP
GiveItaTri

GiveItaTri

Badlands
First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150, Big Bend
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

to the point above about not wanting to buy one that is lifted, when i bought my second jeep, i specifically wanted one NOT lifted to know it wasnt beat up/off roaded a bunch..
i'd say if you pick some conservative mods.. (Black rims, nice tires...sorry if i step on toes.. but not 20" etc...) you surely shouldn't cause it to be worth less than stock..
just my opinions ;-)
20s are not and will not ever be considered. :)

Bronc_Bronc

Badlands
First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
One thing to consider,

My dealer said straight up that places like Carvana will give me a much better price for my trade-in.

So I've looked into going that route. Something's got to give, but as of right now the price Carvana is offering on my trade is 100 percent worth it. I don't even have to wash it, they just come pick it up and hand you a check.

RunNGunArk

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My dealer said straight up that places like Carvana will give me a much better price for my trade-in.

So I've looked into going that route. Something's got to give, but as of right now the price Carvana is offering on my trade is 100 percent worth it. I don't even have to wash it, they just come pick it up and hand you a check.
i'm starting to wonder about Carvana for my 21 jeep. my Bronco should be built late march early april. My Dealer is a Ford/Jeep dealer, so i know they appreciate a jeep. but they are in a smaller town.. i'll def check Carvana before i trade!

Bronc_Bronc

Badlands
First Name
Abe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
i'm starting to wonder about Carvana for my 21 jeep. my Bronco should be built late march early april. My Dealer is a Ford/Jeep dealer, so i know they appreciate a jeep. but they are in a smaller town.. i'll def check Carvana before i trade!
My coworker just sold his second hand jeep to Carvana for 6k more than he paid for it 2 years ago. He has to pay cap gains, for selling a used car. It's crazy.
Sponsored