Sponsored

Modifying/customizing the Bronco after purchase voids the warranty?

Bud2020

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch 2.7 Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Voids the warranty on that part? sure. Voids the warranty completely? Bullshit.

Remove your mods before going to dealer if you are worried, problem solved.
Sponsored

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Voids the warranty on that part? sure. Voids the warranty completely? Bullshit.

Remove your mods before going to dealer if you are worried, problem solved.
if you did something that caused damage, trying to get Ford to cover it by hiding the fact is a weak-ass move. It makes it harder for people with legitimate claims to get them covered. If you believe it didn't cause the damage, why try to hide what you did? I am sure you are going to come up with a righteous equivocation as to why it is morally and legally okay for you to try to steal a free fix for something you chose to do and, quite frankly, I don't care and won't respond. People will rationalize what they do as being acceptable and try to get a group to support them. I just won't be one of that group.

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Depends on the modification and if it can easily be linked to whatever issue you’re trying to claim under warranty. Also, depends who you speak to… some Service Manager’s might be more accepting to certain issues vs. Other’s, especially if it’s a “grey” area.

Keep in mind, this vehicle was built to be heavily modified, like a Jeep. Heck, they give you wiring to add lights and accessories; they know customers will be making changes to the vehicle.

If you’re ever in doubt, speak to someone at your dealership before doing a mod, and make sure you get it in writing.

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

So I just talked to one of the guys at Long Lewis Ford and he said modifying/customizing the Bronco after purchase voids the warranty! Is this legit or partially true? There are so many people here I can hardly get a minute with the guy.
For me, this blanket level statement by a dealer is a reason to run away from that dealer screaming.
It's an indication that any mods you have done will be used to try and deny warranty for an issue that had nothing to do with that mod.

Jeep has always been very good about dividing the responsibility of the owner mods vs a problem caused by Jeep.

If Ford is not able to make that distinction, they will 100% lose the battle to Jeep. Unfortunately this battle is mostly done at the dealership.

Last edited:

SuperFord

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Installing modifications doesn’t “void your warranty”. & a dealership has no power to “void your warranty”. Ford Motor Company could, but it is really uncommon in my experience.

A modification however could definitely cause a claim to be denied. Ex: you install a custom tune or a bigger turbo or whatever and the engine runs lean and melts a piston. Ford may deny the claim. I’m not an attorney, but internet lore says they have to prove your mod caused the failure. Real world experience shows that a manufacturing can and will deny a claim without having to prove anything. And most people don’t have the legal or financial means of taking on a huge corporation.

but to your point, installing a lift kit or a light bar or winch isn’t going to “void your warranty”. The person who told you that didn’t know what they were talking about.

Sponsored

SuperFord

First Edition
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fusion
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

For me, this blanket level statement by a dealer is a reason to run away from that dealer screaming.
It's an indication that any mods you have done will be used to try and deny warranty for an issue that had nothing to do with that mod.
Ironically, moments ago as I was typing my previous reply I was thinking about and trying to avoid making blanket statements about warranty coverage and claim denials.

The above “blanket statement” by a forum member does bother me a little especially after hearing it for the ten thousandth time. Every other response here seems to go something like: “that dealer is completely inept or a crooked stealership and you better run away immediately! Go straight to Granger without even stopping for red lights!”

I’m of course exaggerating slightly and don’t mean to attack the writer of the post I’m replying to (or granger either).

But do you suppose it’s possible that the person he spoke to was just miss-informed, incorrect, or ignorant of the truth? What exactly would a car salesman have to gain by saying that warranty would be void for mods? He doesn’t work in service. He wouldn’t gain anything at all from that scenario. He wouldn’t benefit financially from denying your warranty and in fact probably has no idea how it really works.

maybe one incorrect answer by a used car salesman did not actually uncover a grand scheme of evil villainy by everyone at that particular location...

maybe he was just repeating what he had been told by someone else who also happened to be incorrect.

Or maybe the warning above was right on the money and this is an indication of that particular dealer’s stance or pattern of refusing to honor warranty repairs if any slight modification is present. This is a thing as well I am aware. Who knows. Good luck.

sorry for the long post.

Bud2020

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch 2.7 Lux
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

if you did something that caused damage, trying to get Ford to cover it by hiding the fact is a weak-ass move. It makes it harder for people with legitimate claims to get them covered. If you believe it didn't cause the damage, why try to hide what you did? I am sure you are going to come up with a righteous equivocation as to why it is morally and legally okay for you to try to steal a free fix for something you chose to do and, quite frankly, I don't care and won't respond. People will rationalize what they do as being acceptable and try to get a group to support them. I just won't be one of that group.
Lmfao ok bruh. Way to enter into a conversation about a subject. Why you mad? OP stated that the dealer said that modifying the vehicle will void the warranty. That’s a pretty vague generalization. So given that knowledge why would you go in for warranty work with a modified vehicle? I never said anything about trying to cover up damage that was done by a modification. Just going to a dealer that said modifying the vehicle will void the warranty with a modified vehicle in general. 😂

Ryuk

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger, 2023 Ford F-150
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Ironically, moments ago as I was typing my previous reply I was thinking about and trying to avoid making blanket statements about warranty coverage and claim denials.

The above “blanket statement” by a forum member does bother me a little especially after hearing it for the ten thousandth time. Every other response here seems to go something like: “that dealer is completely inept or a crooked stealership and you better run away immediately! Go straight to Granger without even stopping for red lights!”

I’m of course exaggerating slightly and don’t mean to attack the writer of the post I’m replying to (or granger either).

But do you suppose it’s possible that the person he spoke to was just miss-informed, incorrect, or ignorant of the truth? What exactly would a car salesman have to gain by saying that warranty would be void for mods? He doesn’t work in service. He wouldn’t gain anything at all from that scenario. He wouldn’t benefit financially from denying your warranty and in fact probably has no idea how it really works.

maybe one incorrect answer by a used car salesman did not actually uncover a grand scheme of evil villainy by everyone at that particular location...

maybe he was just repeating what he had been told by someone else who also happened to be incorrect.

Or maybe the warning above was right on the money and this is an indication of that particular dealer’s stance or pattern of refusing to honor warranty repairs if any slight modification is present. This is a thing as well I am aware. Who knows. Good luck.

sorry for the long post.
It's important to talk to the Service Department and verify if they have the same sentiment.
I did that after buying my Jeep and was given a similar answer. I told them they would never see me again, and they didn't
I switched dealers for some minor stuff and warranty repairs.
At one point, I actually needed a completely new engine. The block has a casting issue and as a result would not mate to the oil pan and would consistently weep oil. The Service Manager OK's the repair but then explained to me that they would have to charge me some to remove the winch and front bumper to remove the grill which is how they remove and replace the engine. He also stated that they will have to charge me some to remove the T-Case skid.

I calmly asked if he and a mechanic had some time so I could explain the upgrades I did.
I told them I would have the winch and aftermarket bumper off before I brought it in as I agreed that was my responsibility. I then asked them to get 3 crawlers so we could roll under my jeep. I showed them how my long arm suspension was attached and how it was not necessary to remove it since it had a separate support for the t-case and the control arm mounts did not need to be removed.
We rolled out, and both he and the mechanic were impressed with the lift kit I had and agreed that it was actually less work than working on a stock jeep.
End result, no charge for the engine replacement after installing a long arm kit on a jeep which are short arm lifts stock.
Later on, with about 200 miles left on my warranty I had the entire header, cats and pre cats replaced due to a failure. Once again, nothing I had done affected that.

So it pays to make sure the Salesmen isn't speaking for Service, but if he is
RUN and never go back

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So I just talked to one of the guys at Long Lewis Ford and he said modifying/customizing the Bronco after purchase voids the warranty! Is this legit or partially true? There are so many people here I can hardly get a minute with the guy.
Technically, modifications can void any warranty if it affects the drivetrain, engine stress, or any additional wear.

factory parts are stress tested and relatively custom to fitment and overall harmony of the vehicle.

That said, upgrading suspension parts that fit properly and don't require cutting, wheels, tires, a factory tune, etc won't void a normal warranty, but a lift and 3rd party tune may cause other damage or fitment issues that may get you in some trouble.

Rule of thumb for being conservative with your new ride is to keep with authorized parts and upgrades from Ford Performance for first 4 years of ownership. Cosmetic upgrades mean nothing, but when you start playing under the hood, things can get tricky for you. This is usually true for all manufacturers, so I doubt Ford will be any different.

And No, you can't just do anything to a Wrangler and not burn your FCA warranty either. Guys who do whatever, just don't care about the warranty in the first place.

Sponsored

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My dealer said…

Montana Bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My dealer said even filling up my tires with air at a gas station will void the entire Bronco warranty, as it is not Ford-approved air.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Magnusson-Moss Act is straightforward. Maintenance can be done by anyone. Mods can invalidate it if they can prove the mod parts were the cause. If they can't, then it should still be covered.
Can't believe it took 8 post for this to come up. normally it's part of the first response.

Glad at least one person brought it up.
Sponsored