First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150, 97 Jeep TJ, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Went to shift to 4 high (yes I verified high) and a dash message said I had to slow to 3mph. Does the same if I try Slippery GOAT mode.

Once slowed it will shift to 4H.

It was shifting fine the other day.

It is -5, something to do with the cold?
Sponsored

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Went to shift to 4 high (yes I verified high) and a dash message said I had to slow to 3mph. Does the same if I try Slippery GOAT mode.

Manual shows the following:
Ford Bronco Must slow down to 3mph for 4 High Screenshot 2024-01-15 071416

Sounds like it occurs when it gets pretty cold and should work normal once driveline warms up

Montana Bronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I was in -25F yesterday and I shifted back and forth between 2H and 4H multiple times at speeds ranging from 25 mph up to 55mph and mine worked fine.

Mine is a base transfer case.

OP
OP

Trail_Runner

Base
First Name
Me
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 F150, 97 Jeep TJ, 2022 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
Mines a base also. The drive line wasn’t up to temp when I tried. Engine was warmed up a bit but that’s it.

Sponsored

bgcfman

Wildtrak
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler, Honda Accord, Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I was in -25F yesterday and I shifted back and forth between 2H and 4H multiple times at speeds ranging from 25 mph up to 55mph and mine worked fine.

Mine is a base transfer case.
Mo problems shifting here in Florida 😲

broncobase1

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Base
Your Bronco Model
Base

I don't know if this is related or not, but you must have little if any torque (power) flowing through the transfer case when shifting on the fly, including engine braking. You need to adjust the throttle so engine is not pulling a load. This usually means you have to shift into 4WD before you need it for example approaching an icy hill. I learned this the hard way.

Last edited:

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Go figure it’s in the manual. Good catch…
This is why I hate that we don't get a printed manuals anymore, I used to kick back in the comfort of my living room and scan through my new vehicle's manual for anything out of the norm like this, now I'd have to scroll through screens, it's just not the same.

Or when truck is dead and you can't look something up, a paper manual always loads.

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sponsored

j_marinelli

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

This is why I hate that we don't get a printed manuals anymore, I used to kick back in the comfort of my living room and scan through my new vehicle's manual for anything out of the norm like this, now I'd have to scroll through screens, it's just not the same.

Or when truck is dead and you can't look something up, a paper manual always loads.
Wish there was a paper one as well as a "just in case moment" should you need one inside the vehicle.

That said it is nice having a pdf version of it on the computer so when I am home and I do look for something, I can use the "find" feature in adobe and search key words much faster then my old eyes browsing over 550 pages .

XirallicBolts

Outer Banks
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Flex EcoBoost, 2010 Milan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Exactly. Sometimes people would complain less if they read the manual and understood how things actually work. Lot easier to do if you have a paper copy.

Like the adaptive cruise control -- if you're below the set speed limit and put on your turn signal, the car may intentionally give you a little extra speed and close the gap to help with passing. But to someone who didn't read the manual, "the car suddenly tried taking out their bumper!". Or even reading and understanding that ACC is setting more of a *time* gap than a set distance gap, so 2 bars in town is a lot smaller than 2 bars on the highway.

In my Silverado, I was trying to look up how the locking differential is controlled and if 4Hi can be used at highway speed. Searching on-screen for 'differential', '4x4', 'locking' '4hi' brought up nothing useful.

Last edited:

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
3rd Alaskan winter with my Bronco, but it goes into 4A in October and I switch between 4auto and 4H until April when it sees 2wd again is probably why I've never experienced it.
Sponsored