Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I recently purchased an 87 Foxbody mustang and towed it with a regular Uhaul flat trailer. The bronco towed it PERFECTLY. It felt like it wasnt really pulling a load. Lol the backup camera came in handy 👍🏾. For those that havent pulled a camper or a boat yet, DO IT. Not too big of course. Lol. Ive got a little over 9k on mine now btw 🤙🏾

This is it. Lol. YES IT CAN

Ford Bronco My 2.7 Big Bend towed my Fox Body Mustang PERFECTLY dazed-and-confused-okay
How did you tow a Uhaul with a soft top? I thought UHaul required a hard top to tow with an SUV.

Rick Astley

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
d
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I have been educated by more than a few members here on Bronco6G that the 2.7 engine is the only engine Bronco comes with capable of towing.

This is good to know you didn't try to tow with the 2.3 as those folks have me to believe that not only would it be incapable of pulling a car trailer, but likely the motor and transmission would literally blow up*.

*Requiring them to be replaced by the engine and transmission from a Ford Ranger, which is somehow capable of hauling a combined weight of over 9,000 lbs as long as the badge doesn't say Bronco.

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Can and should are different when it comes to towing. It's mostly the suspension and cooling of the engine and transmission. It isn't due to power or gear ratios. There's an SAE standard for a rating. Trucks can usually tow way more than they are rated for, but it doesn't mean that you should and it isn't rated to safely, according to the standard, tow more.

I was really hoping for a ban amidst this nonsensical thread.

bronco2drga

Base
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Base
Can and should are different when it comes to towing. It's mostly the suspension and cooling of the engine and transmission. It isn't due to power or gear ratios. There's an SAE standard for a rating. Trucks can usually tow way more than they are rated for, but it doesn't mean that you should and it isn't rated to safely, according to the standard, tow more.

I was really hoping for a ban amidst this nonsensical thread.

Agree, I'd be more concerned with transmission.

Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
So, sounds like I will be able to tow my 24' enclosed trailer just fine.... ;) with my 2 door Bronco.

Ford Bronco My 2.7 Big Bend towed my Fox Body Mustang PERFECTLY 20180927_092541

Seems like I won't need the F-150 anymore. LOL. If you look at the squat on the F-150, you will realize that I was pretty close to 10,000 lbs (that was with the load distribution hitch).

No, I am not going to do that to the Bronco...

Last edited:

Fly by Nite

Base
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 F-150 Nite, 2001 Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

zebraquick

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Kia Forte
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I recently purchased an 87 Foxbody mustang and towed it with a regular Uhaul flat trailer. The bronco towed it PERFECTLY. It felt like it wasnt really pulling a load. Lol the backup camera came in handy 👍🏾. For those that havent pulled a camper or a boat yet, DO IT. Not too big of course. Lol. Ive got a little over 9k on mine now btw 🤙🏾

This is it. Lol. YES IT CAN

Ford Bronco My 2.7 Big Bend towed my Fox Body Mustang PERFECTLY 1637245239893

I had that same color 1989 5.0 LX. I miss the hell out of that car!

SuperDave150

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford F-150, Ford Edge
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I think the tow rating is more about the suspension and less about the power
Of course you’re right when you say it isn’t about the power. Compare to the 2.7 in the F150, or the 2.3 in the Ranger.

However we will probably never know what the limitation is about. My guess is duty-cycle + use-case + mods. Translation: lawyers didn’t want to cover the situation of a vehicle wearing 37s or 40s AND 500 pounds of armor & winch AND 90,000 miles AND mud shoved in the radiator AND pounding over frame-breaking whoop de do’s while towing 8,000 lbs of tongue-heavy trailer.

Wouldn’t want to end up bent in two like a gladiator or a Colorado would you?

Sponsored
OP
OP
Silvrback2021

Silvrback2021

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Big Bend; 96 Bronco XLT
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I'm not surprised it towed well. Quick question, no issues with Uhaul renting you the trailer even though you're a soft top? That has been a standard ban by them for a few decades now.
No problems at all. They actually put the trailer on it for me surprisingly. Lol it was raining and i was in a suit 😁

OP
OP
Silvrback2021

Silvrback2021

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
So how do you like the new halo infinite?
Also how did you get to 9000 miles already?! 😲
Love it so far! Mine was the first one delivered in the country. Lol ive been driving it around ever since... google "2021 Bronco Mount Clemens"

OP
OP
Silvrback2021

Silvrback2021

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I did some quick googling, and a few people on some Jeep forums have called in and asked about it, and Uhauls response was basically in Uhauls POV, a soft top SUV is more likely to flip than a hard top. Doesn't really make any sense, but there you have it.
Ive towed it twice now and they havent given me any issues at all. Lol theyre always checking out the Bronco instead 😅

OP
OP
Silvrback2021

Silvrback2021

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
That is great to know.... I am having delusions, wanting to tow my EB with the WT to Moab. Need more positive stories of the 2.7 in action.
Ive got a 96. Lol ill tow the new one with the old one before doing it the other way around. Lol im pushing it with 5000lbs
Sponsored