swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
911 Carrera S / 4Runner TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
The soft shackle isn't what caused the damage to the windshield, it was the kinetic rope. The rope has a lot of energy and weight, the shackle was just along for the ride.
Incorrect, it's both. It's basic physics if it have mass and velocity it has energy. The mass near the end of the rope is more important in an impact hence the loop on the rope and soft shackle are the most damage causing parts.
Sponsored

HeliPilot

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7L SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I flew 407s after I left the Army. It was like going from an F1 car to a gokart. Unfortunately, EMS sucked all the fun out of flying for me. I felt like a taxi driver with no options on where, when, or how I flew. Plus, the chief pilot in the program had zero cares about things like the dead-man zone in the height/velocity diagram. Figured it was time to go before I had an engine failure at a high hover.
I get it. Fortunately, my leadership is awesome. Never a question about declining flights. I can see where the milk run flights get under the skin. My base averages 60-80 flights per month, so we tend to get a good mix of ā€œtypesā€ of calls.

AttackGuy64

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I get it. Fortunately, my leadership is awesome. Never a question about declining flights. I can see where the milk run flights get under the skin. My base averages 60-80 flights per month, so we tend to get a good mix of ā€œtypesā€ of calls.
Loved the scene flights, hated the milk runs for a broken finger. I wrote my master's degree thesis on the unethical nature of the EMS industry. Patients think they have zero rights to decline a transport when doctors tell them they are being flown out interfacility. You get on that bird and instantly become $65k poorer.

HeliPilot

Badlands
First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.7L SAS
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Loved the scene flights, hated the milk runs for a broken finger. I wrote my master's degree thesis on the unethical nature of the EMS industry. Patients think they have zero rights to decline a transport when doctors tell them they are being flown out interfacility. You get on that bird and instantly become $65k poorer.
So very true. And with the shortage of ambulance drivers, itā€™s only getting worse post COVID

cr117

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm just curious about a statement (I think made by OP) that soft shackles are safer than D rings.
The main thing is if the shackle (soft or D ring) were to fail, it'd be much better having a piece of rope flying at you than a chunk of metal.

Sponsored

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
You don't want a "fuse" in recovery gear. You don't EVER want to pull hard enough to break any of that gear. Most soft shackles are 50k plus rated and I want that as high as possible while fitting my attachment points.
I don't agree with this. There is always a fuse. Sure you don't want a fuse at a load less than a typical needed recovery load, but there is always a fuse, period. One should strive to make the fuse the least dangerous as possible.

In this particular case the soft shackle being the fuse likely saved a life. The clevis attachment point yielded all over the place meaning it was close to failure. With a significantly stronger soft shackle (or even a very modest D ring shackle) it could have been a huge metal projectile.

Testing by MHI has shown the rear (Braptor - and I think same as non Raptor) recovery point (the fasteners specifically) fail at about 35k lb. I would guess Ford engineered the front points at a very similar level. That's nearly 6x the vehicles (Braptor) weight and should cover a very extreme recovery - stuck in mud up to the chassis and at a very steep angle. Those combined conditions should take about 25k lb to recover (about 4.25 x vehicle weight, a great reference on recovery and recovery load calculations: https://www.uscargocontrol.com/blogs/blog/extracting-stuck-vehicle ). Surprise, surprise, the designed capacity just exceeds this very extreme case.

I'm obviously very skeptical that this and many aftermarket bumpers and their recovery points are as strong as factory or appropriately strong.

So to prevent heavy, flying metal recovery points, a rope or soft shackle should fail around 25k lb, i.e. "fuse".

One problem, I see here with deciding on appropriate gear is safety factors. Most good gear comes with a WLL (working load limit) and a MBL (minimum breaking load). These often differ by a safety factor of 3x-5x. So theirin lies the catch! Specifying gear to have a WLL equal to or greater than the highest recovery load expected is most likely going to cause a recovery point to fail (i.e. metal missile) before the gear fails.

This all leads back to what others have pointed out many times here. The Jeep driver was not experienced and not properly instructed.

Last edited:

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I am disheartened by the sheer negativity and condescension (but not surprised) the sharing of the video across multiple FB groups is bringing. Some get it. Most don't. And never will.
I don't use FB or similar SM but am curious what the opinions there are. TIA.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I don't use FB or similar SM but am curious what the opinions there are. TIA.
The usual.
People commenting, giving ā€œexpert advice and critiqueā€ when they didnā€™t watch the video and know zero details.
It will be 5 comments about city folk going off-road for the first time, then 10 comments about ā€œhe shouldnā€™t have tied the strap to the hitch ballā€, then 25 comments about how they could have done it safely or without a tow.
Followed by 10 more ā€œthatā€™s a Bronco for yaā€.
itā€™s just mentally exhausting to even see.
Makes me mad just reading it but I know better than try and defend or offer up actual facts.
That just brings out the clowns, expert trolls, and people looking to argue with anyone over anything.

swamp2

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
The usual.
People commenting, giving ā€œexpert advice and critiqueā€ when they didnā€™t watch the video and know zero details.
It will be 5 comments about city folk going off-road for the first time, then 10 comments about ā€œhe shouldnā€™t have tied the strap to the hitch ballā€, then 25 comments about how they could have done it safely or without a tow.
Followed by 10 more ā€œthatā€™s a Bronco for yaā€.
itā€™s just mentally exhausting to even see.
Makes me mad just reading it but I know better than try and defend or offer up actual facts.
That just brings out the clowns, expert trolls, and people looking to argue with anyone over anything.
Wow, def sad and disappointing, esp from such a humble fellow trying to help others.

UncleBuck

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Ranger XLT 4.0L - 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Lots of comments. Lots of opinions. My opinion is the "recovering" vehicle was hitting way too hard and you were buried too deep. A gentle bump backwards probably would have gotten you back up on the trail rather than plowing through 3 feet of snow. Glad you're ok.

Sponsored

Pilsner

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, 81 Bronco, 21 BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I don't agree with this. There is always a fuse. Sure you don't want a fuse at a load less than a typical needed recovery load, but there is always a fuse, period. One should strive to make the fuse the least dangerous as possible.

In this particular case the soft shackle being the fuse likely saved a life. The clevis attachment point yielded all over the place meaning it was close to failure. With a significantly stronger soft shackle (or even a very modest D ring shackle) it could have been a huge metal projectile.

Testing by MHI has shown the rear (Braptor - and I think same as non Raptor) recovery point (the fasteners specifically) fail at about 35k lb. I would guess Ford engineered the front points at a very similar level. That's nearly 6x the vehicles (Braptor) weight and should cover a very extreme recovery - stuck in mud up to the chassis and at a very steep angle. Those combined conditions should take about 25k lb to recover (about 4.25 x vehicle weight, a great reference on recovery and recovery load calculations: https://www.uscargocontrol.com/blogs/blog/extracting-stuck-vehicle ). Surprise, surprise, the designed capacity just exceeds this very extreme case.

I'm obviously very skeptical that this and many aftermarket bumpers and their recovery points are as strong as factory or appropriately strong.

So to prevent heavy, flying metal recovery points, a rope or soft shackle should fail around 25k lb, i.e. "fuse".

One problem, I see here with deciding on appropriate gear is safety factors. Most good gear comes with a WLL (working load limit) and a MBL (minimum breaking load). These often differ by a safety factor of 3x-5x. So theirin lies the catch! Specifying gear to have a WLL equal to or greater than the highest recovery load expected is most likely going to cause a recovery point to fail (i.e. metal missile) before the gear fails.

This all leads back to what others have pointed out many times here. The Jeep driver was not experienced and not properly instructed.

Soft shackles are fairly new. No one ever advised for shackles, historically being steel, as being a fuse. Nothing has changed. The fuse should ALWAYS be the failed recovery. Any other methodology is dangerous. That is what you are missing. If you can't recover without doing it in a safe manner, then you need to regroup and find another way or another vehicle. You do not want anything flying around, and this demonstrates how dangerous even light weight things can be at velocity. I like to spread the forces between 2 recovery points when possible. Again, you should simply never be recovering in a way that exceeds the capabilities of your recovery points, whatever those are. What about people using steel line and D shackles? Where do you want that fuse?

MadMan4BamaNATL

Badlands
First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco 2DR Badlands Sasquatch, 2021 RR Sport
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Well said.
I am disheartened by the sheer negativity and condescension (but not surprised) the sharing of the video across multiple FB groups is bringing. Some get it. Most don't. And never will.
Being the smartest or toughest guy in the room is more important than the intended message for most of society it seems.
Caleb, keep on keepin' on. Your intent and exposing yourself to the inevitable onslaught of armchair QB's was well-intentioned and in the right place. It's hard to remain objective and not be ruffled by haters en masse. If you can, you are better than 99% of everyone else on any social platform.

IF just ONE life is saved because someone got the drift, you did your part and then some. Let the "experts" and tough guys go do their own thing.
Are they really hating on him like that on FB? I believe you; hate facebook, but thatā€™s terrible.

Like I said, his video has no doubt saved some future lives, thatā€™s the most important thing anyone can do; take some pride hits to do the greater good and thatā€™s what heā€™s done.

I swear, the guys who want to be seen as outdoors men, wheelers, and Special Forces guys who in actuality havenā€˜t done jack sh!t has almost become comical.

Easy to see why the recovery went down like it did and he said it. Long day on the trail, group got away, ready to get moving, get home. Most of us who do this have been in a similar situation at least once. For everyone else, itā€™s ok if you havenā€™t yet, but please listen and learn. Itā€™s hard to be tired, hot, cold, or exhausted/dehydrated, then have to put in work like this, so being able to remember a story such as this would help in those instances; trust me.

Or not and weā€™ll just pray that you survive your test with fate.

Thanks man for calling out the online BS thatā€™s spewing. Shameful really.

broadicustomworks

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Z71, 06 VTX1300, 94 Cobra, 21 BL Bronco 4dr.
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Are they really hating on him like that on FB? I believe you; hate facebook, but thatā€™s terrible.

Like I said, his video has no doubt saved some future lives, thatā€™s the most important thing anyone can do; take some pride hits to do the greater good and thatā€™s what heā€™s done.

I swear, the guys who want to be seen as outdoors men, wheelers, and Special Forces guys who in actuality havenā€˜t done jack sh!t has almost become comical.

Easy to see why the recovery went down like it did and he said it. Long day on the trail, group got away, ready to get moving, get home. Most of us who do this have been in a similar situation at least once. For everyone else, itā€™s ok if you havenā€™t yet, but please listen and learn. Itā€™s hard to be tired, hot, cold, or exhausted/dehydrated, then have to put in work like this, so being able to remember a story such as this would help in those instances; trust me.

Or not and weā€™ll just pray that you survive your test with fate.

Thanks man for calling out the online BS thatā€™s spewing. Shameful really.
Some of it. The larger member number pages are the worst, some overlanding and local off-road pages have picked it up.
Looking back just now some of the comments I saw yesterday are gone, so maybe mod-cleansed a bit.
And 100% truth. Most of have been there and one day every one of will have that moment of unplanned adversity after a long, grimy trail day.
Itā€™s so easy to place caution and ā€œknow betterā€ to the wind in the interest of just getting past the problem and on with the day.
Iā€™m guilty myself.
But then fate puts something like this front and center.
For me personally it makes me replay all of those sketchy moments where I didnā€™t follow best practice and thank God nothing went wrong in hindsight.
I shared one of the recoveries I did last year in Uwharrie with a few on here, quick to point out some things I knew better than to do when talking about it.
Downright scary to replay and acknowledge that I was the guy all eyes were on, people watching and learning how to recoverā€¦and there I was doing some things wrong.

Pilsner

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JTR, 81 Bronco, 21 BD
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Soft shackles are fairly new. No one ever advised for shackles, historically being steel, as being a fuse. Nothing has changed. The fuse should ALWAYS be the failed recovery. Any other methodology is dangerous. That is what you are missing. If you can't recover without doing it in a safe manner, then you need to regroup and find another way or another vehicle. You do not want anything flying around, and this demonstrates how dangerous even light weight things can be at velocity. I like to spread the forces between 2 recovery points when possible. Again, you should simply never be recovering in a way that exceeds the capabilities of your recovery points, whatever those are. What about people using steel line and D shackles? Where do you want that fuse?

edit:
Agree on the Jeep pull being too hard. I don't like people I don't know helping on recovery or even spotting. None of this is to blame OP. Things happen, and in this case the Jeep driver sent 'er a little too hard.

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It's funny, when I first heard about kinetic ropes it was when I was being sold one at a 4W Parts shop. After a couple minutes of back and forth, I finally asked the guy, I asked him do you really need to know what you're doing with these things? He kinda stammered and I said, y'know, I'm going for the tow strap...

People make mistakes. Shit happens. What's being said is, if there is a failure point, it shouldn't be something that'll be a projectile. In this case, if the soft shackle hadn't gived, it very might've been the clevis flying into the Jeep. Which is my assumption it's more dangerous.

I agree, we should all act professionally and knowledgeably when doing recoveries, because it matters. It just doesn't always go that way, even with the professionals. I used to work with a former tow truck driver who's boss (been doing towing for decades) dropped a car out of a tree and seriously injured someone because shit happens.

Soft shackle, I've learned, != hard shackle. In the event of an accident, I'd rather have a soft shackle (and kinetic rope) flying at me than a winch cable and chunk of bumper.

Oh yeah, I now have both a tow strap and very nice kinetic rope someone gave me. šŸ˜…
Sponsored