First Name
Carter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chevy Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Sorry to respond to an older thread but this is a very similar situation to me researching the vehicle for our needs. While I almost think there are too many trim levels in this vehicle the thing that frustrates me is I wish the decision from say Black Diamond to Badlands had something in between BESIDES the OBX. I want the vinyl washout interior and some basic off-roading capability that is in the Black Diamond; it's perfect for me. However, if I want to add a High Package for the screen, increased safety features I then have to pay for Badlands more off-road capability that I don't necessarily need AND then pay for the High Package so it's essentially costing me $10k+ for a high package. Why can't you option a High Package or larger screen on a Black Diamond OR have the Badlands come with it? Doesn't make since to me but I guess that's how Ford gets people climbing trim levels.

That's what I really appreciate about my Tahoe... I was able to add the Premium package in my LT trim to get the leather seats, panaramic roof, etc. without having to go to a Premier Trim for things I can live without like ventilated seats and adaptive cruise. Of course I wish I had the Z71 trim but that's another story...
Sponsored

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Sorry to respond to an older thread but this is a very similar situation to me researching the vehicle for our needs. While I almost think there are too many trim levels in this vehicle the thing that frustrates me is I wish the decision from say Black Diamond to Badlands had something in between BESIDES the OBX. I want the vinyl washout interior and some basic off-roading capability that is in the Black Diamond; it's perfect for me. However, if I want to add a High Package for the screen, increased safety features I then have to pay for Badlands more off-road capability that I don't necessarily need AND then pay for the High Package so it's essentially costing me $10k+ for a high package. Why can't you option a High Package or larger screen on a Black Diamond OR have the Badlands come with it? Doesn't make since to me but I guess that's how Ford gets people climbing trim levels.

That's what I really appreciate about my Tahoe... I was able to add the Premium package in my LT trim to get the leather seats, panaramic roof, etc. without having to go to a Premier Trim for things I can live without like ventilated seats and adaptive cruise. Of course I wish I had the Z71 trim but that's another story...

BLUF: Get the Badlands with the High Package and without the Sasquatch Package.

So if the stock Black Diamond is perfect for you other than the lack of a high package, then you are kinda stuck. Here's my advice, especially if you want vinyl interior AND washout floors.

You have essentially 4 options: WildTrak(WT), Badlands (BL), Outer Banks (OBX), and Black DIamond (BD).

We'll start off with x'ing out the WT because it's the most expensive starting point and doesn't have washout floors or a vinyl interior... although you could get the high package and the HOSS 3.0; but for you, doing basic off-road stuff, this is overkill. Pass on this option (and I have one on order).

If it were me, given your use case, I would purchase the BL. Here's why... Sure, it's excess capability from the standpoint of off-road capability, but it gives you the interior you want and it allows you to order the high package. What it also gives you is the highest residual value down the road. People who will be looking for a use Bronco in the future will pay a premium for the BL. I would order the BL with the high package (unless you want adaptive cruise, in which case, I felt like this made the Lux package worth it). I would NOT order the Sasquatch package on the Badlands (and this applies only the Badlands). The HOSS 2.0 suspension in the non-Sasquatch Badlands has more articulation than the Sasquatch package HOSS 2.0, and unless you are in love with the factory Sasquatch wheels you will be $$$ ahead by NOT going Sasquatch on the Badlands.

Next up is the OBX, this is what I am currently driving with some modifications. Like you, I couldn't get what I really wanted, I set a hard limit of $50k for myself, and I knew what were deal breakers for me. My biggest deal breakers were adaptive cruise control (ACC) and a minimum of a rear locker. Well, unfortunately, ACC means that I couldn't pick Base, Big Bend, or Black Diamond. I also wanted carpeting and cloth interior in my Bronco - which disqualified the BL (sorta - I didn't realize that the BL leather interior had carpeting). So I ended up with the OBX, mostly because there was much that I didn't know well enough or hadn't fully considered (like putting seat covers over the MGV or adding removable carpeting. In the end, I have made many modifications to get to where I wanted to be in the first place, including 33.5" tires, BL suspension, skid plates, etc. It would have probably been cheaper/better to get the BL, then add carpet and seat covers, with the lux package - rather than the other way around. Still I am pretty happy with my ride as is (having covered 45k miles in it - I have a fair amount of rather comfortable seat time and my OBX seems to be "ok" at this off-road stuff).

Ford Bronco Need help deciding... Insight appreciates OBX offroad

Ford Bronco Need help deciding... Insight appreciates received_233184485644998

The OBX, while completely competent, does not have the demand that the BL or WT will and thus it's resale value is going to be lower as a percentage of original cost.

Finally, the BD, the problem here is that you sacrifice the electronics/technology. Currently, it would be very difficult to attempt to retrofit the high package to the Black Diamond. In my mind, that disqualifies it. Also, it has the same suspension (HOSS 1.0) as the Base, Big Bend, and Outer Banks; which while adequate off road, still isn't as nice as either the HOSS 2.0 or HOSS 3.0 suspension. Once again, it goes to resale value as well, the Black Diamond likely will have a lower resale value (as a percentage of original cost) due to the fact that it isn't as desirable.

So there's my rambling incoherent reply. I hope that helps.

sniffHound

First Name
W
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

Vinyl make my bottom hot.

My .02. You can’t go wrong. These are all awesome.

First Name
Carter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chevy Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

So if the stock Black Diamond is perfect for you other than the lack of a high package, then you are kinda stuck. Here's my advice, especially if you want vinyl interior AND washout floors.

You have essentially 4 options: WildTrak(WT), Badlands (BL), Outer Banks (OBX), and Black DIamond (BD).

We'll start off with x'ing out the WT because it's the most expensive starting point and doesn't have washout floors or a vinyl interior... although you could get the high package and the HOSS 3.0; but for you, doing basic off-road stuff, this is overkill. Pass on this option (and I have one on order).

If it were me, given your use case, I would purchase the BL. Here's why... Sure, it's excess capability from the standpoint of off-road capability, but it gives you the interior you want and it allows you to order the high package. What it also gives you is the highest residual value down the road. People who will be looking for a use Bronco in the future will pay a premium for the BL. I would order the BL with the high package (unless you want adaptive cruise, in which case, I felt like this made the Lux package worth it). I would NOT order the Sasquatch package on the Badlands (and this applies only the Badlands). The HOSS 2.0 suspension in the non-Sasquatch Badlands has more articulation than the Sasquatch package HOSS 2.0, and unless you are in love with the factory Sasquatch wheels you will be $$$ ahead by NOT going Sasquatch on the Badlands.

Next up is the OBX, this is what I am currently driving with some modifications. Like you, I couldn't get what I really wanted, I set a hard limit of $50k for myself, and I knew what were deal breakers for me. My biggest deal breakers were adaptive cruise control (ACC) and a minimum of a rear locker. Well, unfortunately, ACC means that I couldn't pick Base, Big Bend, or Black Diamond. I also wanted carpeting and cloth interior in my Bronco - which disqualified the BL (sorta - I didn't realize that the BL leather interior had carpeting). So I ended up with the OBX, mostly because there was much that I didn't know well enough or hadn't fully considered (like putting seat covers over the MGV or adding removable carpeting. In the end, I have made many modifications to get to where I wanted to be in the first place, including 33.5" tires, BL suspension, skid plates, etc. It would have probably been cheaper/better to get the BL, then add carpet and seat covers, with the lux package - rather than the other way around. Still I am pretty happy with my ride as is (having covered 45k miles in it - I have a fair amount of rather comfortable seat time and my OBX seems to be "ok" at this off-road stuff).

OBX offroad.jpg

received_233184485644998.jpeg

The OBX, while completely competent, does not have the demand that the BL or WT will and thus it's resale value is going to be lower as a percentage of original cost.

Finally, the BD, the problem here is that you sacrifice the electronics/technology. Currently, it would be very difficult to attempt to retrofit the high package to the Black Diamond. In my mind, that disqualifies it. Also, it has the same suspension (HOSS 1.0) as the Base, Big Bend, and Outer Banks; which while adequate off road, still isn't as nice as either the HOSS 2.0 or HOSS 3.0 suspension. Once again, it goes to resale value as well, the Black Diamond likely will have a lower resale value (as a percentage of original cost) due to the fact that it isn't as desirable.

OBX offroad.jpg

received_233184485644998.jpeg

Thanks for the great feedback! And great looking Bronco!!

stickshifthappy

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, 65 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ohhhh... that's easy. It's a Badlands or bust buddy....
Sponsored