First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands w/ sasquatch pkg - Carbonized Grey
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a Bronco that is set to be built soon. It's a 2023 BL. I know the rack and pinion has to go and it's a 1200 part, not including labor. The 2024 already has the steering issue resolved (updated).

So, here's the question...should I cancel my 2023 and get a 2024 (waiting isn't an issue for me) or should I just get the 2023 and pay to have the HOss 3.0 rack and pinion...steering...tie rod piece put on?

Please keep in mind that the BL is going up 2000.00 in price for 2024, regardless and the modular bumper is included...I'm not sure if the Hoss 3.0 upgrade that could be done at Ford is the same or is still better than the updated change that Ford is putting on the BL for 2024.

Help...

The steering rack is fine for stock setups , even the Sasquatches with 35" tires.

The problem is when you do body lifts and stick 40's under them with wheel spacers.

I am having the Rough Country bushings put in they stock steering rack when i put on the new FabTech Tie Rods to help since I am ruining 37s. If I break the stock steering rack I will probably upgrade to the 74Weld steering rack.

What are your plans for this Bronco - keep it stock? I would get the 2023 and stop worrying about what ifs. Don't let the BroncoBuster Hype video scare you.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Headless Horseman

Headless Horseman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So as far as SOLID, it's a bit overrated and long in the tooth at this point. Most developers- :rolleyes:

Wait, this isn't a programming question. :whistle:

A bird in the hand. You can upgrade the rack to whatever level you prefer. The only real upside on getting the factory rack is the warranty, something which under off road use, you may have difficulty getting covered.

Get the rack you want, or wait longer, hassle more over price, hassle over a warranty coverage that's probably denied. Choose your own adventure.
I am speaking with my salesperson and like everyone here, he advised getting the 2023 just in case there's any hold-ups with the 2024 or other increases...plus, no timeframe of build while mine should be getting built on Aug. 28.

In addition, they can get the HOSS 3.0 and install when I purchase so it's on and never an issue...I asked what the labor would be and asked if he could help with that. I realize the 2024 are 2000.00 more but the HOSS 3.0 rack and pinion, with labor, will cost more than 2000.00, likely. If they were the same, it'd be a wash.

Ah heck...as long as it's close, it's good enough for me. I just don't want to be spending lots extra for something that already has a factory fix.

OP
OP
Headless Horseman

Headless Horseman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The steering rack is fine for stock setups , even the Sasquatches with 35" tires.

The problem is when you do body lifts and stick 40's under them with wheel spacers.

I am having the Rough Country bushings put in they stock steering rack when i put on the new FabTech Tie Rods to help since I am ruining 37s. If I break the stock steering rack I will probably upgrade to the 74Weld steering rack.

What are your plans for this Bronco - keep it stock? I would get the 2023 and stop worrying about what ifs. Don't let the BroncoBuster Hype video scare you.
You're spot on...fear of something breaking is enough to make me want to be proactive. I'm getting the Sasquatch so I don't want to have to upgrade much save for the front bumper, with lights, winch, etc.

I'll be on the road 99% of the time and need it comfortable for longer rides, but I don't want any chance of anything breaking just coming in and out of my driveway, which I heard has happened....

BTW, are you a fan of Rough Country? They have some nice lights packages and winch options that are very reasonable. They also have a simple and nice looking safari bar for the modular bumper. I'm not sure if it requires moving the camera or not...I don't think the sensors have to be moved?

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ah heck...as long as it's close, it's good enough for me. I just don't want to be spending lots extra for something that already has a factory fix.
It's worth noting stage 3 steering (HOSS is stage 3 steering AND suspension) isn't a fix, it's an adjustment for conditions. This is what we're trying to say. Maybe 1% of Bronco off roaders (not everyone driving Broncos, just those serious enough to do blues and up off road) will ever encounter those conditions.

Watch this video and pay attention to when he talks about the factory rack at the beginning. The HOSS 2.0 tie rods have a built in give; the Ford engineers knew what they were doing. The bushing upgrade, perhaps. The upgraded housing, ok, makes some sense. Stage 3 steering, you gotta be wheeling with some seriousness to need that kinda stiffer steering (and even then you may never bend a tie rod, where they're designed to bend).

OP
OP
Headless Horseman

Headless Horseman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm gonna agree w/most everybody else here and say "bird in hand". W/all the production delays, and price hikes, better to take the 2023, then take a risk on an even more overpriced 24, which, who knows when it would get built! When order banks open theres gonna be a pretty big rush of orders. Steering upgrades can be done if needed!
I'm going with the 2023 as most everyone here has recommended...the cost difference (taking into account the 2000.00 price increase for 2024) would likely be minimal....

Sponsored
OP
OP
Headless Horseman

Headless Horseman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It's worth noting stage 3 steering (HOSS is stage 3 steering AND suspension) isn't a fix, it's an adjustment for conditions. This is what we're trying to say. Maybe 1% of Bronco off roaders (not everyone driving Broncos, just those serious enough to do blues and up off road) will ever encounter those conditions.

Watch this video. The HOSS 2.0 tie rods have a built in give; the Ford engineers knew what they were doing. The bushing upgrade, perhaps. The upgraded housing, ok, makes some sense. Stage 3 steering, you gotta be wheeling with some seriousness to need that kinda stiffer steering (and even then you may never bend a tie rod, where they're designed to bend).

Thank you for this data...I do not plan to be running this through extreme conditions on a regular basis...with that being said, you'd stick stock and not worry about it because it's not going to be involved in a lot of technical off-roading?

This begs the question though...why did ford upgrade the steering for the 2024 model and if I wanted to mimic that for the 2023, what would you go with that they'll install at ford?

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thank you for this data...I do not plan to be running this through extreme conditions on a regular basis...with that being said, you'd stick stock and not worry about it because it's not going to be involved in a lot of technical off-roading?

This begs the question though...why did ford upgrade the steering for the 2024 model and if I wanted to mimic that for the 2023, what would you go with that they'll install at ford?
Look at it: They only went to the HD rack on Badlands, which is more intended for (but not required to be taken) off road. You need a stiffer rack, but maybe not stage 3 tolerances, for some of the rock crawling conditions you're more likely to get into in a BL. This would be tire binds in crevices, where you may have dynamic steering situations. That's technical off roading.

The WT has the full HOSS 3.0 because it's a more over terrain racer and steering failures happen more frequently when hitting things like biggish rocks in deserts or going over whoops at high speed.

Again, the Ford engineers are good at what they do. Ford isn't giving you a steering rack that endangers you driving around town or on highways (imperfections not withstanding).

I'll say, if you can afford it and don't mind paying for it, get stage 3.0 steering upgrade. It's not a bad thing, but not having it (and having HOSS 2.0) is going to be fine unless you're facing difficult conditions.

Az_Squatch_Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands w/ sasquatch pkg - Carbonized Grey
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You're spot on...fear of something breaking is enough to make me want to be proactive. I'm getting the Sasquatch so I don't want to have to upgrade much save for the front bumper, with lights, winch, etc.

I'll be on the road 99% of the time and need it comfortable for longer rides, but I don't want any chance of anything breaking just coming in and out of my driveway, which I heard has happened....

BTW, are you a fan of Rough Country? They have some nice lights packages and winch options that are very reasonable. They also have a simple and nice looking safari bar for the modular bumper. I'm not sure if it requires moving the camera or not...I don't think the sensors have to be moved?

I have never bought Rough Country in the past, but their bushings for the steering rack ar e far more affordable and you get both the driver side and passenger side busings for under $100.00. Bronco buster is $350 for driver side only...

AZ_Liberty

Base
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well above that sweet entry price of $28,500, for the MY21 base 2 door. It was the low entry price including 4WD and a manual that got me on this road, a great base package for a great price. But due to it's popularity and wait times that's now $40k and climbing.
Entry 2-door stick shift is now $11,700 more then I paid for mine. ($12,600 if you include the increased sales tax). Ohh, but you get a leather wrapped shifter knob.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
In addition, they can get the HOSS 3.0 and install when I purchase so it's on and never an issue...I asked what the labor would be and asked if he could help with that. I realize the 2024 are 2000.00 more but the HOSS 3.0 rack and pinion, with labor, will cost more than 2000.00, likely. If they were the same, it'd be a wash.
Here is the question I would ask your salesperson, "Has your dealership ever successfully installed a HOSS 3.0 steering rack in a non-HOSS 3.0 Bronco?"

Because I sincerely doubt that they have and they may not have someone who knows how to program the rack (although it's not 'difficult', it's not obvious either, if you haven't done it before and don't know how to do it, figuring it out is not very likely by the dealer as this is not a supported modification by Ford or Ford Performance at this point in time).

Now, when you are ready to get the rack, feel free to refer the tech doing the work to the long ass thread on the subject. It will make their life much easier.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Headless Horseman

Headless Horseman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Look at it: They only went to the HD rack on Badlands, which is more intended for (but not required to be taken) off road. You need a stiffer rack, but maybe not stage 3 tolerances, for some of the rock crawling conditions you're more likely to get into in a BL. This would be tire binds in crevices, where you may have dynamic steering situations. That's technical off roading.

The WT has the full HOSS 3.0 because it's a more over terrain racer and steering failures happen more frequently when hitting things like biggish rocks in deserts or going over whoops at high speed.

Again, the Ford engineers are good at what they do. Ford isn't giving you a steering rack that endangers you driving around town or on highways (imperfections not withstanding).

I'll say, if you can afford it and don't mind paying for it, get stage 3.0 steering upgrade. It's not a bad thing, but not having it (and having HOSS 2.0) is going to be fine unless you're facing difficult conditions.
Thank you for your honest and intelligent response. I am going forward and getting the 2023. If the dealership will help a bit with labor, I''ll likely have them install the HOSS 3.0 rack and pinion piece

This one...

https://www.fordoempartsdirect.com/oem-parts/ford-gear-assembly-nb3z3504m?c=az0x

I figure being the 2024 is going up 2000k anyway, might as well start on an even or even better foot...lol...

OP
OP
Headless Horseman

Headless Horseman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Here is the question I would ask your salesperson, "Has your dealership ever successfully installed a HOSS 3.0 steering rack in a non-HOSS 3.0 Bronco?"

Because I sincerely doubt that they have and they may not have someone who knows how to program the rack (although it's not 'difficult', it's not obvious either, if you haven't done it before and don't know how to do it, figuring it out is not very likely by the dealer as this is not a supported modification by Ford or Ford Performance at this point in time).

Now, when you are ready to get the rack, feel free to refer the tech doing the work to the long ass thread on the subject. It will make their life much easier.
This is a great point...do you have a link/specific name for it? I'll definitely do that. Should they do it, there's certainly no need to have to bring it back 3 times, warranty or not. Lost time is always bad!

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Didn't Procal promise to add this to the list of upgrades? Would be great if and when they add that function. Would make the switch a lot easier for the average person.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
OP
OP