Headless Horseman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have a Bronco that is set to be built soon. It's a 2023 BL. I know the rack and pinion has to go and it's a 1200 part, not including labor. The 2024 already has the steering issue resolved (updated).

So, here's the question...should I cancel my 2023 and get a 2024 (waiting isn't an issue for me) or should I just get the 2023 and pay to have the HOss 3.0 rack and pinion...steering...tie rod piece put on?

Please keep in mind that the BL is going up 2000.00 in price for 2024, regardless and the modular bumper is included...I'm not sure if the Hoss 3.0 upgrade that could be done at Ford is the same or is still better than the updated change that Ford is putting on the BL for 2024.

Help...
Sponsored

Lowcountry Bronco

Heritage
First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger and Toyota FJ Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Does anyone really know for certain if the '24 steering upgrade is the Hoss 3.0 steering rack yet? I'd wait to see what the order guide states once it's available and go from there.

OP
OP
Headless Horseman

Headless Horseman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Does anyone really know for certain if the '24 steering upgrade is the Hoss 3.0 steering rack yet? I'd wait to see what the order guide states once it's available and go from there.
Follow up on that...does it really matter? If they upgrade the steering, I'll assume it's not longer an issue...if that is the case, it is really worth it to spend a lot for the 3.0 if there is no need and just go with the 2024...then again, 2000.00 more for the 2024 is a lot...

Upgrading the 2023 is likely more than 2k...

argh...

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Is the current rack an issue? And why does it have to go? What do you plan on doing with your Bronco that you have to have the upgraded rack so badly? Plenty of members wheeling their Broncos hard without any steering rack problems.

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yes, why are you insisting the rack is a problem? What type of wheeling are you going to do and do you "send it" all the time?

I've got more difficult wheeling behind me than I ever expected to attempt with no problems.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Headless Horseman

Headless Horseman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes, why are you insisting the rack is a problem? What type of wheeling are you going to do and do you "send it" all the time?

I've got more difficult wheeling behind me than I ever expected to attempt with no problems.
It's being upgraded as it's been a problem and has been more than noted here and other forums...this is why Ford is making the upgrade going forward.

OP
OP
Headless Horseman

Headless Horseman

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Why not upgrade it when it breaks? Worst case you pay for a tow, most likely you ain't going to break it.
that's an option...but I really don't have the time to have it break and tow it somewhere and get it fixed as it sits at the dealership for a while.

Honestly, it's a non-issue that is an issue. There are 2 fixes...

1. Get 2021-23 and upgrade to the Hoss 3.0 rack and pinion
2. Get the 2024 and not worry about it because Ford knew there was a problem and fixed it.

As far as the other HOSS 2.0 parts in the badlands go, I have no issues...good enough...

kodiakisland

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
12 Tacoma, 18 Indian, 23 GV70
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Your first worry is get a Bronco, then worry about the steering. How bad do you want one? I wouldn't cancel one over a steering rack when the wait times are unknown. Easy enough to swap out the rack whenever. First, get the Bronco.

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
Your first worry is get a Bronco, then worry about the steering. How bad do you want one? I wouldn't cancel one over a steering rack when the wait times are unknown. Easy enough to swap out the rack whenever. First, get the Bronco.
I agree with this, keep your order and get the bronco. Ford is increasing prices on them to cover loses on other vehicles.

IMO they're already priced above their value and I wouldn't buy mine again at todays msrp. Instead I'd get the new landcruiser.

Sponsored

Arrowbear Rider

Base
First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, Triumph Thunderbird Commander 1700
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

IMO they're already priced above their value and I wouldn't buy mine again at todays msrp.
Well above that sweet entry price of $28,500, for the MY21 base 2 door. It was the low entry price including 4WD and a manual that got me on this road, a great base package for a great price. But due to it's popularity and wait times that's now $40k and climbing.

Almost a year after I made my MY21 reservation I added the Sasquatch package after Ford made it available with the manual. My base with Sasquatch, and Mod bumper, and aux switches was cheaper than the new entry price for an open diff '24.

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
This is the correct answer (especially if you have ANY price protection).

mpeugeot

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 Ferrari F355, 11 Ford F-150, 21 OBX 2D
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
that's an option...but I really don't have the time to have it break and tow it somewhere and get it fixed as it sits at the dealership for a while.

Honestly, it's a non-issue that is an issue. There are 2 fixes...

1. Get 2021-23 and upgrade to the Hoss 3.0 rack and pinion
2. Get the 2024 and not worry about it because Ford knew there was a problem and fixed it.

As far as the other HOSS 2.0 parts in the badlands go, I have no issues...good enough...
Just order the rack, get it programmed, and it will be ready if and when you break the rack.

EveryDayBronco

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Motorcycle
Your Bronco Model
Base
Well above that sweet entry price of $28,500, for the MY21 base 2 door. It was the low entry price including 4WD and a manual that got me on this road, a great base package for a great price. But due to it's popularity and wait times that's now $40k and climbing.

Almost a year after I made my MY21 reservation I added the Sasquatch package after Ford made it available with the manual. My base with Sasquatch, and Mod bumper, and aux switches was cheaper than the new entry price for an open diff '24.
I recently checked msrp for my same order that I placed in Oct 2021, and it's $5,590 more. That's a hell of a price increase In less than 2 years!

For comparison with my previous Subaru, current price on the same model I bought back in 2014, is $1,600 more. That's $1,600 price increase over the last 9 years.

At some point buyers need to consider what their money is buying and there sure isn't $5,600 more "value" in the same bronco I brought home last year.

You can't blame inflation when other brands don't have even remotely similar price increases. I suspect it's ford cooking the books so they can offset their losses on the electric vehicle side.

If you work hard to earn your money, don't waste it on this kind of price increase!