Sponsored

New 35s for Outer Banks that look aggressive but ride well on highway?

Hill Jack

Outer Banks
First Name
Hillary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Good morning Bronco family! Waiting the arrival of my Outer Banks. I know I want to get it lifted and new 35 inch tires that have that squared off boxy look but rides smooth on the highway. I don’t want something that’s going to throw gravel at my paint job. Wondering if there are any suggestions for the best kind of tire to get that has a look that I want but the performance that I need. Thanks so much for all of your suggestions!
Sponsored

mattymik

Wildtrak
First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Honda Odyssey, 2023 WildTrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Good morning Bronco family! Waiting the arrival of my Outer Banks. I know I want to get it lifted and new 35 inch tires that have that squared off boxy look but rides smooth on the highway. I don’t want something that’s going to throw gravel at my paint job. Wondering if there are any suggestions for the best kind of tire to get that has a look that I want but the performance that I need. Thanks so much for all of your suggestions!
I’m a big fan of my Nitto Recon Grapplers. Mine are 295/70/18, which are 34.3” diameter (considered 35s) and 11.5” wide. Load range D. Good ride on-road and good traction off-road.

swami37

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Ford F-1 and 2020 F150 FX4
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Nitto ridge grapplers. One Side of tire is really aggressive the other is less aggressive looking. I went with the less aggressive side on mine

Ft. Worth Rob

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X7, Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Ford Bronco New 35s for Outer Banks that look aggressive but ride well on highway? IMG_5475
In case this helps, my OBX has 35x11.5x17 Falken Wildpeak R/T’s mounted to Method 316 17x8 25mm offset with about 2.5-3” lift from Eibach 2.0 coilovers. Not sure if the Falken’s are aggressive enough on the sidewall for you.

I had 33” Falken Wildpeak A/T’s before and they behave similarly to the R/T’s though a little less firm due to lower load rating but these having taller side walls is probably balancing out the load rating difference somewhat. Pretty low noise and ride nicely on road and off.

If changing wheels, as long as you stay between the stock OBX 55mm offset and where I am, only the shoulder is going to peek out of the narrow non-Sasquatch fender trim on the 25mm. I don’t get rocks kicking up except when off road on gravel but the bottom of my zroads slider steps prevents those from hitting the paint. Your OBX factory running boards should prevent the same.

As for boxy look, I didn’t go for that and went with 8” wide wheels on the 11.5” tire to have a little more bulge for when I’m airing down offroad so I have a little more tire protection from rim scrapes. I forget what the width is on the stock OBX wheel. A good rule of thumb offroad I learned is 70-75% of tire width for the wheel width.

If you stay with your factory wheels I don’t know how wide you can go on tires and not rub your control arms since you’re at 55mm offset (tucked into the wheel well more than a lower positive offset) but you’ll want to remove crash bars. I went 11.5” wide for less poke and better on road manners. A lot of people appear to run 12.5”.
Ford Bronco New 35s for Outer Banks that look aggressive but ride well on highway? IMG_5097

Sponsored

Potter

Wildtrak
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Raptor and Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Super happy with Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T’s on my Raptor. They are going on the Wildtrack asap.
Ford Bronco New 35s for Outer Banks that look aggressive but ride well on highway? IMG_0647

Tomleo67

Big Bend
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' big bend 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Ford Bronco New 35s for Outer Banks that look aggressive but ride well on highway? IMG_0647
In case this helps, my OBX has 35x11.5x17 Falken Wildpeak R/T’s mounted to Method 316 17x8 25mm offset with about 2.5-3” lift from Eibach 2.0 coilovers. Not sure if the Falken’s are aggressive enough on the sidewall for you.

I had 33” Falken Wildpeak A/T’s before and they behave similarly to the R/T’s though a little less firm due to lower load rating but these having taller side walls is probably balancing out the load rating difference somewhat. Pretty low noise and ride nicely on road and off.

If changing wheels, as long as you stay between the stock OBX 55mm offset and where I am, only the shoulder is going to peek out of the narrow non-Sasquatch fender trim on the 25mm. I don’t get rocks kicking up except when off road on gravel but the bottom of my zroads slider steps prevents those from hitting the paint. Your OBX factory running boards should prevent the same.

As for boxy look, I didn’t go for that and went with 8” wide wheels on the 11.5” tire to have a little more bulge for when I’m airing down offroad so I have a little more tire protection from rim scrapes. I forget what the width is on the stock OBX wheel. A good rule of thumb offroad I learned is 70-75% of tire width for the wheel width.

If you stay with your factory wheels I don’t know how wide you can go on tires and not rub your control arms since you’re at 55mm offset (tucked into the wheel well more than a lower positive offset) but you’ll want to remove crash bars. I went 11.5” wide for less poke and better on road manners. A lot of people appear to run 12.5”.
so you have the coilovers dialed down a bit? did you try them all the way up? I just installed them and was wondering if I should dial them down some for my wife. She felt a bit awkward at first but is getting used to it.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Maybe look at 255/85-17?
35 inch class tire that will stay tucked in the wheel well and help keep rocks at bay.

Falken has a new AT in that size. Very new, not much known about it yet.
....as does Mickey Thompson, as noted above.

Based on current reviews, I'd lean heavily towards the Mickey T Baja Boss AT.
https://tiresize.com/tiresizes/255-85R17.htm

Ft. Worth Rob

Outer Banks
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X7, Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

so you have the coilovers dialed down a bit? did you try them all the way up? I just installed them and was wondering if I should dial them down some for my wife. She felt a bit awkward at first but is getting used to it.
There’s a bit of room to lengthen them but not much. I went a little higher on the front to reduce the rake. With the zroadz sliders sitting higher than the stock Ford running boards, my 5’3” wife complains profusely, mostly about getting out. I actually bought a folding plastic step stool I keep behind the passenger seat for her. And I installed one of those paracord grab handles.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I’ve found both the Wildpeak AT3 (there is a new 4 that should ride just as well or better) and MT Baja Legend EXPs were both very polite on road. The wildpeak had less road noise but is a heavier tire, but the MT isn’t horrible with its road noise. Both are excellent in weather and off road. The MTs sling mud and snow a lot but neither of these is bad with throwing gravel.

I don’t have any long term experience with other brands yet. I’m running the MTs now, had the Wildpeaks on an F150. Next time I do tires I’m looking at the MT Baja Boss (for 3p rating / snow), or Wildpeaks - although I wouldn’t be opposed to another set of the Baja Legend if they happen to be on sale at the time.

Sponsored

Tomleo67

Big Bend
First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' big bend 4 door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I’ve found both the Wildpeak AT3 (there is a new 4 that should ride just as well or better) and MT Baja Legend EXPs were both very polite on road. The wildpeak had less road noise but is a heavier tire, but the MT isn’t horrible with its road noise. Both are excellent in weather and off road. The MTs sling mud and snow a lot but neither of these is bad with throwing gravel.

I don’t have any long term experience with other brands yet. I’m running the MTs now, had the Wildpeaks on an F150. Next time I do tires I’m looking at the MT Baja Boss (for 3p rating / snow), or Wildpeaks - although I wouldn’t be opposed to another set of the Baja Legend if they happen to be on sale at the time.
actually my wifes wildpeak 4w 35's weigh 64.5 pounds. lighter than most others...

OP
OP

Hill Jack

Outer Banks
First Name
Hillary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Super happy with Mickey Thompson Baja Boss A/T’s on my Raptor. They are going on the Wildtrack asap.
Nice!! What wheels are they and what size? Thx!!

OP
OP

Hill Jack

Outer Banks
First Name
Hillary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

Thx sooo much!!! Love the look!!

FFbronco

Black Diamond
First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Jeep Wrangler
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

this looks great!

amurphy9276

Outer Banks
First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I absolutely love my Hercules Terra Trac X-Venture. 35x12.5r18. I go offroad here in west Texas with them and over spring break we were up in Colorado in the snow. 28 inches the first place we went. Second day we were in 40 inches of snow and every thing was great!
Ford Bronco New 35s for Outer Banks that look aggressive but ride well on highway? 1000001330
Sponsored