Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco. Sold the 1968 and 2015 mustang GTs
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s a simple story. On local intermediate trail I hit a rock on rear shock skid (JCR) and bent the hell out of the mounts. I was able to straighten the outer mount but not the inner.

Local shop fabricated and installed new beefy gusseted 1/4” steel brackets based on the Barnes set I brought to them (they made their own improved version), including a raised mounting position to give more ground clearance. A couple pics are attached below.
https://maverickfabrication.com/
https://www.facebook.com/MaverickMetalWorksNC?mibextid=ibOpuV

There are at least a few other reports on this issue with shock mounts. e.g.
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/bronco-rear-shock-mount-aka-rock-catcher.80842/

I’ve wheeled on and off for 30 years, including toughest trails in Moab and many other locations. Have broke and repaired other parts but never a shock bracket 😀 But it’s way beefed up now.

New shock brackets:

Ford Bronco New Gear Ratios NOW AVAILABLE! Ford Performance M220 Rear Axle Assemblies! IMG_5310

Ford Bronco New Gear Ratios NOW AVAILABLE! Ford Performance M220 Rear Axle Assemblies! IMG_5309
Sponsored

Last edited:

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

It’s a simple story. On local intermediate trail I hit a rock on rear shock skid (JCR) and bent the hell out of the mounts. I was able to straighten the outer mount but not the inner.

Local shop fabricated and installed new beefy gusseted 1/4” steel brackets based on the Barnes set I brought to them (they made their own improved version), including a raised mounting position to give more ground clearance. A couple pics are attached below.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/bronco-rear-shock-mount-aka-rock-catcher.80842/

I’ve wheeled on and off for 30 years, including toughest trails in Moab and many other locations. Have broke and repaired other parts but never a shock bracket 😀 But it’s way beefed up now.

New shock brackets:

Ford Bronco New Gear Ratios NOW AVAILABLE! Ford Performance M220 Rear Axle Assemblies! IMG_5309

Thanks for the update, I can see a huge difference in how much stronger it looks. I am in the process of upgrade my Bronco and one of the things I'm doing is moving the rear shock mount up in the rear like many have already.

RubyRedGT

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks for the update, I can see a huge difference in how much stronger it looks. I am in the process of upgrade my Bronco and one of the things I'm doing is moving the rear shock mount up in the rear like many have already.
Thanks! Was expensive fix but worth it. I was following BigMeats post below and this was perfect opportunity to move mounting position up ~1.5”, which gave me 1.5” rear lift to boot. Then I added 1” more lift to the front with my new Bilsteins (6100). Still need to swap rear shocks.
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...t-2”-higher-more-clearance-and-2”-lift.31477/

Last edited:

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Thanks! Was expensive fix but worth it. I was following BigMeats post below and this was perfect opportunity to move mounting position up ~1.5”, which gave me 1.5” rear lift to boot. Then I added 1” more lift to the front with my new Bilsteins (6100). Still need to swap rear shocks.
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...t-2”-higher-more-clearance-and-2”-lift.31477/
Yes BigMeatsBronco has been the fore runner of many modifications. My new shock set up are from 4wp picked them up at great price $1200.00 I think they are discontinued.

One more upgrade

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe Mogush
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Tesla Plaid X 22 Escalade
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks

New shock brackets:

They did a great job. I like how you tweaked something, did not complain, and just fixed it. I think some forget-stock vehicles will break at some point, and you are the one who will find the weak points and correct them. I tweaked an axle tube, replaced the assembly, had the tubes welded, and put a Barnes brace on it—no more problem. Nothing is indestructible.

welded.truss.jpeg

Sponsored

orion

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' F-250, 17' Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

They did a great job. I like how you tweaked something, did not complain, and just fixed it. I think some forget-stock vehicles will break at some point, and you are the one who will find the weak points and correct them. I tweaked an axle tube, replaced the assembly, had the tubes welded, and put a Barnes brace on it—no more problem. Nothing is indestructible.

Ford Bronco New Gear Ratios NOW AVAILABLE! Ford Performance M220 Rear Axle Assemblies! welded.truss
Did they weld to the center cast iron or just to the axle tubes. Just curious because I want to do that but don't know about my welding skills on dissimilar metals.

One more upgrade

Outer Banks
First Name
Joe Mogush
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Tesla Plaid X 22 Escalade
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Did they weld to the center cast iron or just to the axle tubes. Just curious because I want to do that but don't know about my welding skills on dissimilar metals.
Tu
The axle tubes are welded up, as well as the truss. I know some have had good luck with larger tires and the factory button welds, but mine spun within the first 15 times off-road. It may be the luck of the draw. I won't pretend to be innocent, either..

RubyRedGT

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Thanks. They’re a good shop. Sorry to hear about your axle housing. Am keeping an eye on mine. Might just decide to get it welded up before too long.

Bird Dog Off Road

Badlands
First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Badlands w/Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey, All!

Ford Performance just released their new M220 Rear Axle Assemblies with a new range of Gear Ratios for 2021-2023 Bronco’s! (excluding Raptor)

bronco axles new fp.jpeg

The new Gear Ratios now available with these kits are 5.38, 5.13, and 4.88.

Of course, they are still available in the original ratios the kits we’re released with, which are 4.70 and 4.46. All of which come standard with Ford’s Electronic Locking Differentials.

M-4000-470B.jpg

Now for those who haven’t seen these yet, these axles assemblies are complete bolt-in units with everything needed for installation, including axle shafts and brake rotors (the rest of the OE components are to be re-used).

Now it is important to note that BOTH front and rear axles have to be the same ratio. Luckily, Ford Performance also offers the front drive units in corresponding ratios (apart from 4.88 at the moment).

M-3002-470BF.jpg

While these kits are made for Broncos equipped w/E-locker from the factory, we also have their wiring/switch kit to convert your Bronco into electronic-locking differential capable.

M-14489-BR_TEMP.jpg

Lastly, if you’re changing axle ratios from the original, you will need a calibration for the speedometer and related-modules. Once again, Ford Performance has you covered with their ProCal Calibration kits.

M-12655-F (1).jpg

Of course, if you need help or have questions with Ford Performance products, feel free to reach out to any one of us here at Lethal Performance!

#teamlethal
#lethalperformance
#fordperformance
Price? Links?

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Sponsored

RubyRedGT

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

One thing that pushed me into the DV8 skids is that they tie into the LCA brackets, I feel like it should be more resistant to this.
I agree. I think that design could maybe help some. The shock brackets are still crap though. Nothing compared to the axle brackets on my TJ although I had installed a Tera60 (high clearance Dana 60).