Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

So after 60k miles my rear axle is junk.

While cruising at high speeds, the rear end started making noises, and once I stopped checked for leaks and or loose Pinon, it began to make the dreaded skip-a- broken-tooth-clunk-sound🫨

I removed the rear driveshaft ( out of precaution to the rest of the drivetrain) and limped home in 4H front wheel drive.

durring removal I was surprised to find the outter diff cover bolts had become looss🤔...after disassembley, I found what I had suspected, the 40s, 5.38 ratio, towing, and heavynlead foot are just TOO much for a OEM m220.

the case flexed under heavy loads enough to cause gear deflection....the ring gear moved away from the Pinon and overloaded the side case bearing causing it to spin the race. thos damaged the inside of the housing and caused slop in the ring gear (the ring gear and diff moves side to side nearly a 1/4" now) Obviously this much deflection cause the contact patch to run way nean the edge of the tooth and broke several off under acceleration.

while removing the parts I also discovered that BOTH the axle bearing races had also spun in the housing!!! I believe this was caused by tall tire leverage or bending moment under acceleration while side loaded. (hard corner G forces)

I feel the OEM axle is plenty strong (especially the shafts) for tires up 38"....beyond that the limits are found quickly. I have also confirmed this with mechanics, at 4x4 repair centers, that see M220s in Jeeps consistently with the exact same issues.

IMG_20240131_105058.jpg
Sponsored

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

How heavy was the trailer?

Sounds like your proposing an overall failure due to housing flex. So the fix is to weld the axle tubes in and a brace. That should help the center section survive longer. Next would be some bigger wheel bearings to help transfer rotational forces to the axle housing vs the carrier bearings. So a bigger axle!

I think this is interesting since jeep is transitioning to a full floating rear axle. That would solve some of the stress issues your describing.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

interesting.

i wonder if that's part of the reason 74Weld's portal upgrade includes switchover to full floating rear axle

huey

Badlands
First Name
kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI VW EOS GMC Envoy Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So after 60k miles my rear axle is junk.

While cruising at high speeds, the rear end started making noises, and once I stopped checked for leaks and or loose Pinon, it began to make the dreaded skip-a- broken-tooth-clunk-sound🫨

I removed the rear driveshaft ( out of precaution to the rest of the drivetrain) and limped home in 4H front wheel drive.

durring removal I was surprised to find the outter diff cover bolts had become looss🤔...after disassembley, I found what I had suspected, the 40s, 5.38 ratio, towing, and heavynlead foot are just TOO much for a OEM m220.

the case flexed under heavy loads enough to cause gear deflection....the ring gear moved away from the Pinon and overloaded the side case bearing causing it to spin the race. thos damaged the inside of the housing and caused slop in the ring gear (the ring gear and diff moves side to side nearly a 1/4" now) Obviously this much deflection cause the contact patch to run way nean the edge of the tooth and broke several off under acceleration.

while removing the parts I also discovered that BOTH the axle bearing races had also spun in the housing!!! I believe this was caused by tall tire leverage or bending moment under acceleration while side loaded. (hard corner G forces)

I feel the OEM axle is plenty strong (especially the shafts) for tires up 38"....beyond that the limits are found quickly. I have also confirmed this with mechanics, at 4x4 repair centers, that see M220s in Jeeps consistently with the exact same issues.

IMG_20240131_105058.jpg
ooofff!
that's narly!!

OP
OP
BigMeatsBronco

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

How heavy was the trailer?

Sounds like your proposing an overall failure due to housing flex. So the fix is to weld the axle tubes in and a brace. That should help the center section survive longer. Next would be some bigger wheel bearings to help transfer rotational forces to the axle housing vs the carrier bearings. So a bigger axle!

I think this is interesting since jeep is transitioning to a full floating rear axle. That would solve some of the stress issues your describing.
5000 lbs

I also towed my 40,000 lbs peterbilt out one time as well. ...smoking all 4s on dry pavement.

absolutely correct, my gearhead mechanic buddy that does ring and pinion for a living, assured me this is the main issue the cast center section is NOT very stiff and flexes under load and twists also. he's seen the cases spread so far apart the housing is junk on many occasions. this is why the HD cover is important with studs instead of bolts. it adds alot of rigidity to the weak case. Also the case stretches enough to loosen the cover bolts in my case.

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
BigMeatsBronco

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

interesting.

i wonder if that's part of the reason 74Weld's portal upgrade includes switchover to full floating rear axle
likely, and Im sure that helps at the wheel ends, but the extra leverage the portals add to the housing and center section worries me. a HD truss brace would help alot, but I think the m220 is at its limits with 350hp and low gearing and big tires, portals or not.

‘21OBX

Outer Banks
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Bummer for sure. Are you going to go to the Dana 60 semi float that I’ve seen offered?

5GENIDN

Heritage
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Ford Bronco Heritage Limited 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

likely, and Im sure that helps at the wheel ends, but the extra leverage the portals add to the housing and center section worries me. a HD truss brace would help alot, but I think the m220 is at its limits with 350hp and low gearing and big tires, portals or not.
You may well be right.....

CarbonSteel

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Carbonized Gray
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
This was caused by housing deflection due to the large tires that do not lose traction. When it twists, the distance between the ring gear and pinion is increased and the lack of engagement causes the teeth to break/shear.

Sponsored

Dusty

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
70, 71 & '21 Broncos
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

interesting.

No, the portals require floating rear axles because that's how they engage into the portals (splined shaft into splined gear). A semi-float axle simply isn't compatible. Any benefit the full floating axle imparts to the assembly, vis-a-vis the forces BMB is talking about here, is simply coincidental, but welcome.

OP
OP
BigMeatsBronco

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

And why do we think it’s necessary to use 40s? Just saying… Thank you for sharing your experience.. We are forewarned and well “armed”. 🤓
because I like em and I drive on logging roads and skidder trails for work.

OP
OP
BigMeatsBronco

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 FE 2 door
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

This was caused by housing deflection due to the large tires that do not lose traction. When it twists, the distance between the ring gear and pinion is increased and the lack of engagement causes the teeth to break/shear.
absolutely correct, spicers engineer said "the deflection and a shockload will do this every time with a lead foot"

probably like when I haze the tires over the train tracks....lol

OP
OP
BigMeatsBronco

BigMeatsBronco

First Edition
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Allan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)