Sponsored

Not a bash poll more of opinion poll on do I buy my Bronco knowing about the 2.7 Motor issues?

Buy my new ordered Bronco with the 2.7 motor built late December or don’t buy her?

• Total voters

LSTLAF

First Name
Glort
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sphere shaped craft
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Maybe a better question is would you feel confident in taking a long road trip far from home ? in one in the questionable range.
Wife and I drove a new, off the lot, 2.7.....1,420 miles from Granger IA to Las Vegas NV without worry or issue.
Sponsored

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
Luck of the draw. Not everyone's 2.7 is blowing up. It's a small percentage. Defects are rare and quality systems are in place to prevent them from occurring. But they still occur. That's why there is a warranty.

Snydermann

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Samurai, VW Thing, MINI, smart, Astro Van
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Two words:
Warranty
You're making the assumption the individual mechanic at the dealer is going to do as good of a job installing the engine as the factory.

Guess what? He's paid to do the job as fast as possible, not as quality as possible, as fast as possible.

No way I want a dealer installed engine in my brand new vehicle.

Sponsored
OP
OP
Ice Age

Ice Age

Raptor
First Name
GG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT500
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I didn't intend my previous post to sound as snarky as it might read. I saw the exact same thing some years back when I was active on Jeep forums...so much sturm and drang over various issues and whether they would be reliable. TBH I don't even remember anymore what the issues were, as neither the GC I had built to order nor the JK Wrangler I bought used ever had them (and I sold both for more than I paid for them.) Grab hands and jump off the bridge with us! A few of us will have some issues, whether it's the 2.7 engine or something not even on the radar screen yet. Most will be trouble free. You have several years and many miles before you have to decide whether to purchase an extended warranty. Are you seriously even contemplating leaving the Bronco you ordered and have waited for so long there for the dealer to add ADM and sell to someone else?
No I’m going to buy her but like all the input which speaks volumes and that’s 😎

66Fan

Wildtrak
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Wildtrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

You're making the assumption the individual mechanic at the dealer is going to do as good of a job installing the engine as the factory.

Guess what? He's paid to do the job as fast as possible, not as quality as possible, as fast as possible.

No way I want a dealer installed engine in my brand new vehicle.
I was one of those guys for 15 years.
While I agree to some extent, some still take pride in their work. Some do not.
I could book 70+ hours a week (in 40 or less actual) and be proud of my work. To counter your argument, some shops will hold flat rate techs (that's the technical name for working fast) accountable and come backs (if it breaks and has to come back) do not pay any additional time.

TurnerNHooch

Badlands
First Name
Patti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 YJ & all the F150s
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I will try not to gush....... We did the Tomahawk tune and this rig is the most fun car I have ever driven. My husband commandeered it today and I am a little bitter. I made up like 10 errands I could do today just so I could drive it.

That being said, forums like this are apt to aggregate complaints and put an undue emphasis on failures.

Snydermann

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I was one of those guys for 15 years.
While I agree to some extent, some still take pride in their work. Some do not.
I could book 70+ hours a week (in 40 or less actual) and be proud of my work. To counter your argument, some shops will hold flat rate techs (that's the technical name for working fast) accountable and come backs (if it breaks and has to come back) do not pay any additional time.
I started as a mechanic in 1984. Ran my own shop for 20+ years. Now semi-retired.

It's a gamble if you get the right guy. Lately, every single time I take one of my cars if for warranty/repair work it comes back fucked in some way. Probably in ways the average consumer wouldn't notice. Mostly broken parts or parts not installed completely properly, just sloppy work all around.

Sponsored

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If I ran a factory, that would be my mandate, install as fast as possible, get the next one out the door. Factory won't loose reputation for a failed install here or there (we've seen quite some loose hoses and fuses and so on here), a dealer with bad repairs will loose local reputation quickly. A couple failures and the according replacement cost mean nothing to Ford's pocket book. I'd bet a mech at a local dealer installing a new engine (and it's probably more than just one guy) will take time to make sure everything is buttoned down just the way it should be, it's not a mass assembly line. That's the way I see that, I'd have zero worries about something like that.

calgecko

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Chevy ZR2 Bison V6
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I figure, by the time mine comes in at the end of 2022, if I'm lucky, they will have the issue sorted.
you're assuming Ford will even acknowledge it as an issue and will do anything about it.

with that said - I am sticking with my order with the 2.7.. but for all I know, by the time it gets scheduled/built, the Earth will be out of crude oil and we won't have any more gasoline - it'll look like Mad Max beyond Thunderdome...

Snydermann

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I'd bet a mech at a local dealer installing a new engine (and it's probably more than just one guy) will take time to make sure everything is buttoned down just the way it should be, it's not a mass assembly line. That's the way I see that, I'd have zero worries about something like that.
That's a risky bet. Mechanics are paid a fixed rate (flat-rate), for every repair. It's inherently in his advantage to cut some corners and do the job as quickly as possible. Sure, there are some mechanics who are conscientious and will lose time on the job for the sake of quality.

Which one will be installing your engine? Do you get to choose?

Wanted33

Outer Banks
First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT, 2019 Wrangler, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

As it seems now the odds are in your favor that the 2.7L you get will be just fine. Get that Bronco, and don't look back.

Ford Bronco Not a bash poll more of opinion poll on do I buy my Bronco knowing about the 2.7 Motor issues? Effie, Hunger Games

Paul Gagnon

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'79 Mustang, '92 Explorer, '10 F-350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You could wait for the stars to align and there might still be an issue.
Sponsored