Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, GMC Terrain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Sounds like you're another victim of inaccurate or unreasonable expectations. Sorry you're unsure, and probably disappointed. There will be plenty more like you, once the mannequins arrive at the dealerships and people find out that the Bronco was not designed nor intended to be....

a convertible full sized SUV (5th gen Bronco, Expedition, Tahoe or Suburban) with plenty of leg room, shoulder room and cargo space, built to haul the family (dogs included) across the continent in relative comfort and with the kitchen sink; or a competitor to luxury SUVs (Land Rovers, Land Cruisers, etc.) with all the tech, trim and posh amenities.

The 6G Bronco was designed and developed to compete with the Jeep Wrangler (a mid sized, nimble, fun, "affordable" and very capable off-road machine), PERIOD. Ford nailed that! If Ford gave it more leg room, hip room, cargo space, towing capacity, lux ride, etc., the Bronco would be just another friggin SUV (like Chevy's pathetic new Blazer). If people can't live with the trade off, then they should buy something else.

The above is not aimed at the OP. It's just my rant at all those out there telling Ford what they need to do to make it just another mediocre SUV (lux or not) for the highway and maintained "dirt" roads.
I think you misunderstood part of what I said. I went in there with the expectation it would be the same size as the wrangler and that’s exactly what it was. With a few slight differences like the front feeling a little more roomy compared to my previous wrangler.

I’m not disappointed in the rugged interior nor the plasticy dash like others have mentioned. I totally expected that and welcome it as I would probably end up having the roof off most of the time during the summer.

Like I mentioned in another post it still totally what I want just saying there are some short comings one being roominess is all. I didn’t give a full write up cause there are 100’s of them floating around.

Either way it’s my car and passengers can deal with the small leg room. The only thing I truly wish for was at least 5000 towing capacity for a small camper.
Sponsored

MoabRox

Black Diamond
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Jeep XJs, Dodge M880, Suburban 2500
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I think you misunderstood part of what I said. I went in there with the expectation it would be the same size as the wrangler and that’s exactly what it was. With a few slight differences like the front feeling a little more roomy compared to my previous wrangler.

I’m not disappointed in the rugged interior nor the plasticy dash like others have mentioned. I totally expected that and welcome it as I would probably end up having the roof off most of the time during the summer.

Like I mentioned in another post it still totally what I want just saying there are some short comings one being roominess is all. I didn’t give a full write up cause there are 100’s of them floating around.

Either way it’s my car and passengers can deal with the small leg room. The only thing I truly wish for was at least 5000 towing capacity for a small camper.
Like I said, my rant wasn’t aimed at you. I saw that you get it. There’s just too many on this forum that don’t seem to. Happy wheeling!

Last edited:

BackcountryBirds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Power Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Sounds like you're another victim of inaccurate or unreasonable expectations. Sorry you're unsure, and probably disappointed. There will be plenty more like you, once the mannequins arrive at the dealerships and people find out that the Bronco was not designed nor intended to be....

a convertible full sized SUV (5th gen Bronco, Expedition, Tahoe or Suburban) with plenty of leg room, shoulder room and cargo space, built to haul the family (dogs included) across the continent in relative comfort and with the kitchen sink; or a competitor to luxury SUVs (Land Rovers, Land Cruisers, etc.) with all the tech, trim and posh amenities.

The 6G Bronco was designed and developed to compete with the Jeep Wrangler (a mid sized, nimble, fun, "affordable" and very capable off-road machine), PERIOD. Ford nailed that! If Ford gave it more leg room, hip room, cargo space, towing capacity, lux ride, etc., the Bronco would be just another friggin SUV (like Chevy's pathetic new Blazer). If people can't live with the trade off, then they should buy something else.

The above is not aimed at the OP. It's just my rant at all those out there telling Ford what they need to do to make it just another mediocre SUV (lux or not) for the highway and maintained "dirt" roads.
There are very capable full size off-roaders out there. It doesn't have to be small to be capable. Ford could have brought back the 6G to be the bronco II and then also offered a full size variant to be the bronco 5G......but instead we got the bronco sport. No reason that front and rear lockers, the off-road tech, sway bar disco, winch, etc can't be added on a full size SUV based on the raptor or tremor platform. They would sell like crazy. Even better if they add the F150 power boost tech to improve gas mileage and be a phenomenal overland rig with the generator if that proves reliable.

The bronco is a nice wrangler competitor, that appeals more to the on-roader/mall crawler crowd with the IFS. But there is nothing wrong with folks wishing it was a bigger for a wider range of applications, especially since the last bronco anyone could buy was a full size.

OP
OP
Mike777

Mike777

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, GMC Terrain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

There are very capable full size off-roaders out there. It doesn't have to be small to be capable. Ford could have brought back the 6G to be the bronco II and then also offered a full size variant to be the bronco 5G......but instead we got the bronco sport. No reason that front and rear lockers, the off-road tech, sway bar disco, winch, etc can't be added on a full size SUV based on the raptor or tremor platform. They would sell like crazy. Even better if they add the F150 power boost tech to improve gas mileage and be a phenomenal overland rig with the generator if that proves reliable.

The bronco is a nice wrangler competitor, that appeals more to the on-roader/mall crawler crowd with the IFS. But there is nothing wrong with folks wishing it was a bigger for a wider range of applications, especially since the last bronco anyone could buy was a full size.
I have to agree with this. If Ford is planning on making Bronco a totally separate Brand for off roading. The bronco sport appeals to the cx5 crossover crowd and honestly it’s even smaller then that. Bronco vs wrangler. The next evolution would be adding a full size version to compete with the Yukon’s of the world with off road capability.

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I hear you, but it is hard to argue with their strategy since it has worked. I also wonder how much of this is adding NEW Ford customers rather than cannibalizing existing Ford customer who might purchase the larger truck or SUVs already in the lineup. I suspect many Bronco buyers are like me, a first time Ford owner or converting from other makers.

I don't see them adding a larger version. I suspect they want to work this model, make it the flagship model, build a large quiver of tools, toys, parts, accessories etc. The aftermarket will grow, making these vehicles something special. The more options, the better. If there is a larger model, I suspect the doors and roof stay on and it is a larger version of the Bronco Sport, not a larger version if the Bronco 6g. Just a large SUV, but not special like the 6g.

Sponsored

BackcountryBirds

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram Power Wagon
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I hear you, but it is hard to argue with their strategy since it has worked. I also wonder how much of this is adding NEW Ford customers rather than cannibalizing existing Ford customer who might purchase the larger truck or SUVs already in the lineup. I suspect many Bronco buyers are like me, a first time Ford owner or converting from other makers.

I don't see them adding a larger version. I suspect they want to work this model, make it the flagship model, build a large quiver of tools, toys, parts, accessories etc. The aftermarket will grow, making these vehicles something special. The more options, the better. If there is a larger model, I suspect the doors and roof stay on and it is a larger version of the Bronco Sport, not a larger version if the Bronco 6g. Just a large SUV, but not special like the 6g.
I'm not saying they shouldn't have gone with the 6G, agree it was a great choice. As you said it competes directly with the wrangler and fills a niche that Ford didn't have a part in allowing them to grab market share. My issue is with the sport. They water down the Bronco brand with that little thing and miss an opportunity to build on the history of the 5G full size bronco. I think it's a combo of fuel mandates and fear of cannabilizing F150 or Explorer sales.

I'm still hopeful they will drop something larger in a couple years. I just get tired of the narrative that a full size Bronco would have to be just another SUV. There are solid full size vehicles out there that are very capable off-roaders. No reason you can't have a modern 5G, that would appeal to larger families, people with dogs, those that tow a boat or camper, those that like to go camping, etc, while still having the modular doors and roof and off-road goodies like lockers, sway bar disco, etc. It would be a phenomenal overland rig too, especially if you added the power boost or lightening power system. It could probably get gas mileage close to the bronco range too if it was a hybrid or new tech, although I would be fine too if they said screw mpg and just dropped the 7.3 Godzilla in it.

It wouldnt be quite as nimble in Moab but still very capable....think raptor or power wagon versus wrangler. There would absolutely be a market for something like this.

rugbysecondrow

Black Diamond
First Name
Pauly P
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1964 C-10 stepside
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I'm not saying they shouldn't have gone with the 6G, agree it was a great choice. As you said it competes directly with the wrangler and fills a niche that Ford didn't have a part in allowing them to grab market share. My issue is with the sport. They water down the Bronco brand with that little thing and miss an opportunity to build on the history of the 5G full size bronco. I think it's a combo of fuel mandates and fear of cannabilizing F150 or Explorer sales.

I'm still hopeful they will drop something larger in a couple years. I just get tired of the narrative that a full size Bronco would have to be just another SUV. There are solid full size vehicles out there that are very capable off-roaders. No reason you can't have a modern 5G, that would appeal to larger families, people with dogs, those that tow a boat or camper, those that like to go camping, etc, while still having the modular doors and roof and off-road goodies like lockers, sway bar disco, etc. It would be a phenomenal overland rig too, especially if you added the power boost or lightening power system. It could probably get gas mileage close to the bronco range too if it was a hybrid or new tech, although I would be fine too if they said screw mpg and just dropped the 7.3 Godzilla in it.

It wouldnt be quite as nimble in Moab but still very capable....think raptor or power wagon versus wrangler. There would absolutely be a market for something like this.
More people will buy the Sport, as the entry into the bronco market, than a super-sized Bronco. There just aren't enough people who overland and participate in the activities you mention that they need to go that route. I don't see them creating a vehicle that competes with the vehicles they already have, large 4 door trucks (which are really just SUVs with a truck bed) and the expedition/explorer models.

I don't see the added value for Ford, unless they decide to get rid of the Explorer/Expeditions in favor of something else. I could be wrong though.

Reactions: Jdc

Jdc

Badlands
First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

More people will buy the Sport, as the entry into the bronco market, than a super-sized Bronco. There just aren't enough people who overland and participate in the activities you mention that they need to go that route. I don't see them creating a vehicle that competes with the vehicles they already have, large 4 door trucks (which are really just SUVs with a truck bed) and the expedition/explorer models.

I don't see the added value for Ford, unless they decide to get rid of the Explorer/Expeditions in favor of something else. I could be wrong though.
I think price point is also important. You can get a base for just under 30K and they don't have to worry about cannibalizing sales from their other vehicles.

Tdifonzo

Badlands
First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi S3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ok so I was FINALLY able to see a Bronco in person this weekend at the Houston Auto Show. I wont bore with the details since there are a million threads about peoples opinion. I will say this though the exterior of the bronco with the Sasquatch is a must it gives the car a presence and the MGV was much better then the leather I sat in. I was also able to see a modified version with 37's with a lift which looked amazing.

I'm curious for the people that have seen the car. Did the back seat seem underwhelming to you? As a frame of reference one of my friends who is 6"4 who sat in the front was there and I sat in the back seat at 5"6 and I was extremely cramped. This is also going to be a daily driver for me with kids or friends riding in the back.
You're comparing a 6'4" man driving and a 5'6" man behind him with a 5'6" man driving with a child behind him? Aye aye aye...

OP
OP
Mike777

Mike777

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, GMC Terrain
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

You're comparing a 6'4" man driving and a 5'6" man behind him with a 5'6" man driving with a child behind him? Aye aye aye...
It was more as an observation as well for people buying the car that are taller and have passengers. There will be no room in back seat.

Sponsored

indio22

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'72 Rover, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have to agree with this. If Ford is planning on making Bronco a totally separate Brand for off roading. The bronco sport appeals to the cx5 crossover crowd and honestly it’s even smaller then that. Bronco vs wrangler. The next evolution would be adding a full size version to compete with the Yukon’s of the world with off road capability.
Agreed if Ford is wanting a full Bronco line of vehicles, adding a larger Bronco to that stable makes sense. (Keeping in mind the cannibalizing issue, Ford might need to shuffle lineups and price points.) I'm very happy with the upcoming Bronco size and base price point, but can see some folks wanting and paying for a larger model.

I don't think the full top ever came off the larger sized 1978+ Bronco though. Chevy Blazer had that top removal capability for a few years in the early 70's. Hard to tell if Ford would design a full removable top into any larger Bronco.

BroncoAgain

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"14 Wrangler JKUR, Ram 2500 6.7 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
My 90 Bronco was full F150 size. 351 v8 and all. The rear section of the roof was fiberglass and could be removed.
Sponsored