Sponsored

OEM Hard Top - Keep or Sell Extra Hard Top Dilemma?

busylizzy7

Outer Banks
First Name
Liz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Seeking thoughts on whether to sell Outer Banks hard top or keep it as a second top for spouse’s soft top Black Diamond.

I had a 2022 OB with hard top and Bestop soft top. With soft top on it was totaled in an accident. Spouse changed his pending order to match my totaled OB, including both tops, and we replaced with a new 2023 OB. Insurance paid most but not all of the replacement cost.

While waiting for the replacement OB to be built spouse bought a dealer stock 2023 BD with OEM soft top.

Result is we have two Broncos and four tops: two OEM hard tops, one Bestop soft top and one OEM soft top. Currently have the hard top on the OB and the OEM soft top on the BD and the other tops are in the college kids’ bedrooms.

The OB is the family car, the BD mostly for fun and we have an older, better gas mileage car for commuting.

If we sell the extra hard top then, combined with the insurance payout we will be whole on the replacement of the OB. And, even with cold and snow, we have not felt compelled to put the hard top on the BD. Also, the hard top could enhance someone else’s enjoyment of their Bronco. So those factors tend toward selling it.

OTOH, spouse says if we keep the hard top he will put it on next winter. And, this is really the bottom line question as to whether to keep it - is the value of a Bronco with a hard top significantly greater than the value of a soft top Bronco such that it is the better call to keep it?

We read and have gotten a lot of benefit from the information and wisdom on this forum and are seeking input to resolve our dilemma and endless conversations about it and make a final decision. Thanks!
Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm a hoarder of parts...I'd keep it for a rainy day (no pun intended) but that's me.

RustysBronco

Badlands
First Name
Matt "Rusty" R.
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I think the tops are going to tie to the vin of the vehicle to some extent, so when based on the vin alone, my experience has been that you won't get anything extra for having it. With that said, my recommendation would be going the route that makes you whole financially.

Fly by Nite

Base
First Name
Walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1991 F-150 Nite, 2001 Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

I prefer the hardtop so would naturally keep it.

I'd say the expected life of the softtop is shorter than the hardtop, but that is debatable.
My experience with softtops is on convertibles from the 60's, and they didn't last long and are expensive to replace.

In your case, I would look at the expected life of the softtop and the likelihood you may be selling one of the Broncos down the road. If the softtop gets damaged or worn out, you would have a good spare (hardtop) to put on for use or resale.

I'd say a hardtop would have better potential resale (demand, not necessarily $$) since far less were made, and a replacement softtop is readily available and affordable should the next owner want one. You can't say the same for replacement hardtops.

Then again, you have 2 Broncos and 2 hardtops.... it mostly comes down to which top you prefer.

P.S. any movement on the 'doors-off' bill?

Geo62

Outer Banks
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 bronco outer banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

If you decide to sell DM me . I currently have a soft top outer banks. I’m also in MD.

Sponsored

tock13

Big Bend
First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda, 66 Honda CT90, ‘94 Toyota Xtra cab
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Sell it for $5500 and buy a Turn Off-road for $4500 and take the wife shopping.

bobzules

Outer Banks
First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 2.3L
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Sold mine for 7500, made financial sense to me, purchased a used OEM soft top for $300. Finding the right parts for the soft top installation was a struggle since my hard top model was not properly configured but well worth it if you can get the right amount of money for it and get the right parts.
Sponsored