Off-Road 72 Hour Bag

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

As I continue to reset my off-road rig for wheeling, I pulled my 72 hour bag and went through the contents, refreshing batteries, charging devices and swapping out some of the food. I wouldn't call myself a prepper, but the vehicle recovery organization I belong to requires a 72 hour bag that will provide us with the basics until help can arrive (think getting trapped in a snowstorm while out trying to help others). There is some duplication and am certainly missing some items that I haven't thought of or have ever needed. It all fits in a large backpack that I can move from vehicle to vehicle depending upon what I am taking out into the woods. Here is what I have. Chime in with your thoughts on what is good/bad/unnecessary or what I may not have enough of.

Here is the bag. It is an Explorer Tactical Backpack with a volume of 56L

Ford Bronco Off-Road 72 Hour Bag IMG_7560.JPG

The contents out on the table

Ford Bronco Off-Road 72 Hour Bag IMG_7565[1].JPG

In the middle compartment is a number of smaller bags. One of them is the tools bag which holds a folding shovel, a hand-saw, chain-saw, multi-tool, some tape and wire.

Ford Bronco Off-Road 72 Hour Bag IMG_7566.JPG

2 pair of heavy socks, a hat, knife and cord, 3 glowsticks and 2 separate, sealed firestarter kits. One is a pair of lighters and paper, the other is waterproof matches. A signal flare - its getting a bit worn, I might need to replace that at some point.

Ford Bronco Off-Road 72 Hour Bag IMG_7567.JPG

In a couple of the small outside pockets, I have these so they are easy to get to; Headlamp, tissue and a small knife.

Ford Bronco Off-Road 72 Hour Bag IMG_7568.JPG

I have 8 or so bottles of water stashed under my car seats, but include these 2 bottles as well. A comprehensive first aid kit with tourniquet, blood-clot and all the other typical things you find in a first aid kit. The small black bag has energy bars, snacks and gum.

Ford Bronco Off-Road 72 Hour Bag IMG_7569.JPG

Water purification (hard to find water sometimes in Colorado....) spare batteries and cables and a solar/battery backup.

Ford Bronco Off-Road 72 Hour Bag IMG_7570.JPG

Sanitation supplies; bags, gloves, pain relievers, clorox and hand wipes. Another flashlight. I try to keep 3 or 4 different styles of lights; chemical, battery powered and candles.

Ford Bronco Off-Road 72 Hour Bag IMG_7571.JPG

In another sealed bag, I have my bivy bag, tent, ponch, chemical light and some handwarmers.

Ford Bronco Off-Road 72 Hour Bag 976C6FBC-CF40-4A07-9B0B-4F0256245A0C

Another poncho on the outside of the bag for quick access, a notebook and writing implements. Chapstick.

Ford Bronco Off-Road 72 Hour Bag 70F04303-D2B7-4D32-809F-91444125B8B5

A meal, 2 forms of cooking/heating stove (the MSR stove is jetted for automotive fuel), a cup, utensiles and some hot chocolate.

Ford Bronco Off-Road 72 Hour Bag CABEB0A4-255C-435D-B8A8-7E1413790362

The bag is pretty heavy, 47 pounds I believe. Stuff that should help me should I get stuck out in the woods. Any thoughts on what I am missing or stuff that is too redunant? Consider that I am called out on a moments notice, hours away up in the mountains and in locations where traditional radio/cell/satellite (especially when in the valleys) may not work, but have dispatch who would respond if they haven't been in contact with us in a pre-determined time.

IMG_7565[1].JPG

IMG_7571[1].JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

Deleted member 13702

Do you pack a small sleeping bag and a candle in case you’re stuck in the snow on a cold day? Candle will provide a small amount of heat in an emergency situation. Other than that you look pretty well equipped.

edit: didn’t see the bivy bag the first time through

Last edited by a moderator:

Sponsored

BuzzyBud

First Name
TBD
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Very nice! Thank you for sharing. Your bag is more comprehensive than mine. I have found a leatherman to be helpful for me. Also, since my environment has been marine-based the signal flare gear was critical. Probably not as important in your environment.

OP
OP
The Bronze

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1967 Ford Bronco, 1993 Turbo Notchback, 2006 Sierra K1500, 2013 Sierra K1500, 2014 Sienna Mini-Van
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Do you pack a small sleeping bag and a candle in case you’re stuck in the snow on a cold day? Candle will provide a small amount of heat in an emergency situation. Other than that you look pretty well equipped.
I have an candle inside my shelter bag. When its cold I carry a sleeping bag, otherwise, my spare driveshafts and my spare rear axle shafts are wrapped in two heavy moving blankets. I have been thinking about building a small alcohol heater utilizing a roll of tp, a bottle of alcohol and a metal can. A bigger version of this one

OP
OP
The Bronze

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

No ar7 or ruger22?
Not part of my 72 hour off-road bag. Although, I do carry a Springfield Hellcat or XDM .40 with me on the trail. I can't imagine storing a rifle and it being quick access. It would have to be in a case to protect it from all the other gear (and my driving style).

OP
OP
The Bronze

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Very nice! Thank you for sharing. Your bag is more comprehensive than mine. I have found a leatherman to be helpful for me. Also, since my environment has been marine-based the signal flare gear was critical. Probably not as important in your environment.
There is a multi-tool in one of the pictures. I also carry one on my belt, along with a small flashlight. I seem to always need a knife around....

Sponsored
OP
OP
The Bronze

The Bronze

First Edition
First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

or a M1A
but really all that is needed is a good 22lr with xtra shells for food gathering and self defense .
That's probably accurate, but I like my odds of a clean takedown with a 30.06, .243 or even 223.

Erock

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 Alpine edition
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Looks nice!

Headsong

Black Diamond
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Black Diamond non squatch 4 door softtop v6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

That's probably accurate, but I like my odds of a clean takedown with a 30.06, .243 or even 223.
I always feel like I'd want a. 22, a shotgun, and at least a. 223.....all depends on the moment. Imagine the gun I'd have build. Three barrels... Three magazines.... And under 12#....lol