First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
I've never owned auxilliary lighting before. I think I'd like some ditch lights for turning off road and seeing where I'm going.

It's a silly stigma but I connotate light bars with d bags though from what I have read, some light bars have essentially driving lights in the center and ditch lights (floods angled to side) on each side.

For ditch lights I'm considering the Rigid DSS.
For the light bar I'm considering the the SR or E series Rigid spot/flood combo. Would any of these actually like up the side or not really?

I can only get Rigid brand as I have Bronco Bucks to spend. There's a few Rigid products listed on the Ford Performance website. The many Rigid product lines are hard to understand and don't just tell you on the site. Thank you.
Sponsored

Baja Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco, 20 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I use this on other forums, this is my lighting battle cry:

Buy Once, Cry Once!

Rigid are good lights, but IMO, and many others I know, Baja Designs. Their lights are the brightest, throw the most light, and project further forward than anything out there. But the caveat is, they ain't cheap!

XL80s on SDHQ mounts for your A Pillars. (I just ordered them for the Bronco, my Raptor has them). 20" Onyx 6 light bar. 2 rear amber pods (chase lights), and you'll be set.

OP
OP
Austin26

Austin26

Base
First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Subaru Crosstrek
Your Bronco Model
Base
I use this on other forums, this is my lighting battle cry:

Buy Once, Cry Once!

Rigid are good lights, but IMO, and many others I know, Baja Designs. Their lights are the brightest, throw the most light, and project further forward than anything out there. But the caveat is, they ain't cheap!

XL80s on SDHQ mounts for your A Pillars. (I just ordered them for the Bronco, my Raptor has them). 20" Onyx 6 light bar. 2 rear amber pods (chase lights), and you'll be set.
I didn't even know what chase lights were before I just Google'd it and read an article. Thank you. Why the hell didn't we have chase lights for both visible and IR driving in the Marines? Shame. It's incredibly difficult with night vision to drive with one a small single IR headlight and no IR chase light for the following vehicle.

I definitely abide by the cry once method. However, I'm limited to only what is available through Ford. I have Bronco Bucks. Ford Performance has some of the Rigid DSS ditch lights for a Ranger I could repurpose along with a couple of light bars. I'll link what I'm able to find for Ford lighting available to me. https://performanceparts.ford.com/category/104/AuxiliaryLights

Would the Raptor fog light kit work for me?
https://accessories.ford.com/products/ford-performance-by-rigid®-f-150-raptor-off-road-fog-light-kit
"The kit includes two RIGID D-Series Flood, two D-Series SAE, and two D-Series Spot (three lights per side six lights total)". Could I not use the two floods for ditch lights, two D-series spots for chase lights (after finding amber lenses?), and who knows what for the other two SAE D-series? I guess I could mount them with the ditch lights aimed ahead for more high beam light?

Baja Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco, 20 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I didn't even know what chase lights were before I just Google'd it and read an article. Thank you. Why the hell didn't we have chase lights for both visible and IR driving in the Marines? Shame. It's incredibly difficult with night vision to drive with one a small single IR headlight and no IR chase light for the following vehicle.

I definitely abide by the cry once method. However, I'm limited to only what is available through Ford. I have Bronco Bucks. Ford Performance has some of the Rigid DSS ditch lights for a Ranger I could repurpose along with a couple of light bars. I'll link what I'm able to find for Ford lighting available to me. https://performanceparts.ford.com/category/104/AuxiliaryLights

Would the Raptor fog light kit work for me?
https://accessories.ford.com/products/ford-performance-by-rigid®-f-150-raptor-off-road-fog-light-kit
"The kit includes two RIGID D-Series Flood, two D-Series SAE, and two D-Series Spot (three lights per side six lights total)". Could I not use the two floods for ditch lights, two D-series spots for chase lights (after finding amber lenses?), and who knows what for the other two SAE D-series? I guess I could mount them with the ditch lights aimed ahead for more high beam light?
The Rigids will work, of course. They won't be as bright, but they will work. Check the wattage / draw as to where you want them to go with what Upfitter switch. First 2 switches are 20 amps, then I think 10s and 5s? Not sure. Get somebody that knows wiring (local off road shop), request they wire in relays and inline fuses if they don't come with them.

EddieN

Badlands
First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What do you guys think about the lights from diode dynamics?
I've been looking at this as well. I also like the backlight they have in most of their lights.

Sponsored

SVTPete83

Badlands
First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 Cobra, 92 Bronco, 2011 Raptor, Vans RV9A
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Both Baja designs and rigid are awesome. I solely use rigid now as I have had nothin but perfect operation from everything I have bought from them. I have used a total of 12 different lights and bars from them on various vehicles and to me, they are the gold standard in light thrown and reliability. It’s no wonder they make lights for our military vehicles. Lots of light bars do spots and flood combinations. You just need to read up! Happy hunting!

Bad Andy

Badlands
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 BMW 335I Convertible
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I’m not affiliated with them, but I did purchase my 3 light bumper kit, and A-pillar ditch lights from @4x4TruckLEDs.com

I went with Baja Designs, but they sell Rigid and Diode Dynamics too. Nice people that answer all your questions.

They have some great Black Friday sales right now you may want to check out.

Now if only my Bronco would arrive, so I can install everything.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

As mentioned above, Baja Designs and Diode Dynamics are the most popular. I originally didn't chime in since you are going with Rigid from Ford. But if you can use those points towards something else we've got some amazing deals on our site now. Just go head over to our Bronco section and you'll see lots of great options:

https://www.4x4truckleds.com/vehicle-specific/ford-bronco/2021-bronco/

AZSky

Heritage
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Heritage, Mach E, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

What is a backlight option?
And is any add-on lighting legal or just strictly for off roading?
I fondly remember the adaptative turn light on my previous BMW. The standard lighting is so poor while turning.

4x4TruckLEDs.com

Outer Banks
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.4x4TruckLEDs.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Raptor & 2021 Bronco Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

What is a backlight option?
And is any add-on lighting legal or just strictly for off roading?
I fondly remember the adaptative turn light on my previous BMW. The standard lighting is so poor while turning.
Back-light just adds an ambient backlight:
Ford Bronco Off road lighting advice please 1669391158866

It's separate from the main output. Just gives it a little look.

Fog lights with an SAE/DOT Fog Pattern are street legal (1 pair on). Anything above the bumper (even if it's SAE rated) isnt legal for on-road use unless it's an SAE Driving pattern and you don't have more then 4 forward facing lights on at any time (low beams + high beams if you have separate low/high OR high beams + driving pillars if you don't have separate lows and highs). Fun fact, thats why fog lights turn off on some trucks that have separate high and low beams.

Sponsored

Ground_zero298

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 badlands 2 door. 22 Burban Z71
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Back lights are for looks or night time trail hunting. I run diodes. Back lights shut off when you kick the lights on.

4EECD87E-AA25-4735-B580-278933A6A6AE.jpeg

B4ADE703-75F5-4CBE-889B-373EFD7071EF.jpeg

AZSky

Heritage
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Heritage, Mach E, EV6
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
Clubs

Thank you Adam for the explanation. I am leaning to the Diode Dynamics 6" LED Light Bar White SAE/Fog Wide (legal with lows I hope) but now I am liking the backlight feature. They don't have it, right ?

Graham1911

Badlands
First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1995 Ford F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs