Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20201 Bronco Big Bend 4D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Howdy everyone! I'm coming to ask some questions and get advice because the best way you learn is to ask people who know.

I will be going out offroading for real for the first time in two weeks. I've done some light offroading under powerlines and some other easy trails, but in two weeks I am taking my 2021 Big Bend out on a big boy OHV trail in Uhwarrie National Forest.

It's listed as a moderate trail, and while it doesn't look too too difficult from the pictures, I don't want to make the mistake of underestimating it. I've got recovery straps, a deflate gauge, a air compressor, a shovel, gloves

What sort of additional gear should I have for a moderate trail?
I've seen rotopax with fuel and water attached to the rear tire bracket / rear door hinge. But I can't find that anywhere.

What questions should I be asking that I'm not? I don't really have anyone in life that can answer these questions, and I love the adventure. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'08 F250 Super Duty, '01 SS Camaro, '21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Most don't go too far off the beaten path w/o a spare tie rod or two and the tools to change.

If your first time don't go alone and having an experienced spotter is priceless.

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Which trail do you plan on doing at Uwharrie?

Airing down is a good for comfort / additional traction. An air compressor is nice to inflate your own tires, but the El Dorado outpost also has free air. You certainly won't need rotopax of fuel and water at Uwharrie, you're never more than a couple miles from the outpost or a couple minutes from another off-roader.

Similarly a shovel is not needed at Uwharrie, most recoveries at Uwharrie only require a strap. Some would require a winch, but doubt you'll be on those trails.

Snacktime

Black Diamond
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco, F150
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

Go with someone, always pack up with a group when you are new. The main reason I support our local group is its a good place for people to learn. Second there are always a few people who can help.

Accessories give away the newbies, save you money. You need a strap, shovel and air compressor to 90% of everything offroad.

OP
OP
BigAndBendy

BigAndBendy

Big Bend
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20201 Bronco Big Bend 4D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Most don't go too far off the beaten path w/o a spare tie rod or two and the tools to change.

If your first time don't go alone and having an experienced spotter is priceless.

This is good advice... But I am not sure I am capable of that at this point... I grew up knowing how to spell the word "car"... And not much more.

As far as going alone... It's my hope there will be some people there to bond with. Like I mentioned, I don't know anyone in the area (just moved), and it's when I can get a little solo trip without the wife and kids.

Sponsored

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is good advice... But I am not sure I am capable of that at this point... I grew up knowing how to spell the word "car"... And not much more.

As far as going alone... It's my hope there will be some people there to bond with. Like I mentioned, I don't know anyone in the area (just moved), and it's when I can get a little solo trip without the wife and kids.
Most likely will be folks around. Check out the local groups in the area, I seem to recall a bronco group in the Unwharrie area. Check the clubs forum here on the sight.

PWillette

Badlands
First Name
Parrie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
OP
OP
BigAndBendy

BigAndBendy

Big Bend
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20201 Bronco Big Bend 4D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Which trail do you plan on doing at Uwharrie?

Airing down is a good for comfort / additional traction. An air compressor is nice to inflate your own tires, but the El Dorado outpost also has free air. You certainly won't need rotopax of fuel and water at Uwharrie, you're never more than a couple miles from the outpost or a couple minutes from another off-roader.

Similarly a shovel is not needed at Uwharrie, most recoveries at Uwharrie only require a strap. Some would require a winch, but doubt you'll be on those trails.

Though I'm going to start on Wolf Den, my plan is to ultimately do the Uhwarrie OHV Trail. I'm hoping there's some areas to pull away and do some camping along the trail. Do you know if there's much opportunity in the area of the trail for that?

El Dorado is the gas station down the street from the trailhead, right? I've never been, so I'm happy to learn this stuff.

OP
OP
BigAndBendy

BigAndBendy

Big Bend
First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20201 Bronco Big Bend 4D
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Go with someone, always pack up with a group when you are new. The main reason I support our local group is its a good place for people to learn. Second there are always a few people who can help.

Accessories give away the newbies, save you money. You need a strap, shovel and air compressor to 90% of everything offroad.

I appreciate the advice, I hope there are people there who are willing to teach.

And regarding accessories, I appreciate that, too. I don't want to waste money, but I also don't want to be a guy that needs a recovery, and doesn't have basic recovery tools. I helped a kid a few weeks back recover from a mudhole, and he had nothing - I was happy to use mine - but it was a lesson to me, that if I need help, I want to make sure I have the tools to help others (or to have someone help me).

Baja Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco, 20 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Great advice given, NEVER GO ALONE. Anything can and will happen off roading. Being prepared helps, but you never know. Using me for instance, on a Raptor run, a rock kicked up, somehow got behind my alternator, froze it, blew the pulley off it, and then to add insult to injury, the belt came whipping around, and took out my oil filter! Fun times, had to be towed 50 miles out.

I believe you’re thinking of the Hammer Built tailgate brace. That’s what I run. They have attachments for their brace that lets you add Rotopax cans, radio antenna, chase light.

Sponsored

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Came here to post the exact same thing. The best accessory is a wheeling buddy. Never wheel alone (especially when new to the hobby) whether if it is someone riding shotgun or (best case) with another vehicle or group.

Baja Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco, 20 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I’d like to add, not sure what protection (skid plates) a Big Bend has, but if you don’t have a transmission skid plate, get one, it’s essential! Plastic and rocks don’t mix. Put a hole in the trans pan, and you’re done, dead in the water.

L8apex

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
'14 Focus ST, '21 Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Though I'm going to start on Wolf Den, my plan is to ultimately do the Uhwarrie OHV Trail. I'm hoping there's some areas to pull away and do some camping along the trail. Do you know if there's much opportunity in the area of the trail for that?

El Dorado is the gas station down the street from the trailhead, right? I've never been, so I'm happy to learn this stuff.
Uwharrie OHV is a whole system of trails. The hardest 3 all begin with D -Daniel (hardest), Dickey Bell, and Dutch John (easiest of the 3 hard trails).

Wolf Den, slab pile, falls dam, and the new lake loop trail should all be easily doable for a big bend. There’s plenty of dispersed camping on the trails, but the best sites are off of Forest service road 576.

Yup, stop in at the outpost pick up your day or year pass, air down, and pick up last second supplies. Also keep your eye on the regional forums, there’s a few posts in the South East section for group rides.

gerby151

Badlands
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22Bronco Badlands (Honcho) '09 Harley Davidson
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There is a group on FB NC Bronco Club | Facebook that is planning an outing at Uwharrie 7/27-30 which if my math is correct is about the same time you will be there. I did it a few weeks back with my wife in out 2dr squatched badlands and had a ball! This was my first real off road experience (other than OBX and one jeep trip at the Greenbrier). We did the new trail (#69 forgot the name), Wolfs Den, Falls Dam and Slab Pile with no issues at all. We did air down to 25 psi just for good measures. Take your time and you will be fine.
Ford Bronco Offroading Advice Needed Poser Rock
Sponsored