First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I’m pretty new to this, done stuff in the beach, the blue ridge mountains and the smokies, but that’s about it. I’m heading out west in a few days so I had a tire pressure question. I’m going to do the Shaffer trail in Moab and the Corkscrew in CO. Anyone done these before have a suggestion of tire pressure or just any insight in general? Anything would be appreciated. I’m in a 4D BB Sas 2021
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

80% of the time while off-roading... lowering air pressure is more of a ride comfort thing than it is a necessity to actually get where you are going. BUT, there are a few situations where you want to lower air pressure for increased traction...
  • Sand - The lighter and fluffier the sand is, the lower the air pressure you want to go.
  • Snow - Air pressure is heavily dependent on what the snow is like.
  • Rock crawling - Lowering your air pressure can help your tire tread "wrap" around the rock as you crawl. If you lower it too much you risk a pinch flat or de-beading the tire.
If you aren't doing those three things, lowering air pressure is more or less optional. 25 PSI is a good starting point.

I Like Soup

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram PowerWagon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hi! Currently in Moab and heading to Ouray in the am. The Shafer trail switchbacks really dont require any airing down. Done the trail twice in the past year. The whole Potash/Shafer trail is more comfortable airing down to cut down on the vibrations but not required. Corkscrew is currently not open but being plowed. Cant offer any advice there.

Have Fun!!

BigBend530

Big Bend
First Name
Dominic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco 2Dr.
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Hi! Currently in Moab and heading to Ouray in the am. The Shafer trail switchbacks really dont require any airing down. Done the trail twice in the past year. The whole Potash/Shafer trail is more comfortable airing down to cut down on the vibrations but not required. Corkscrew is currently not open but being plowed. Cant offer any advice there.

Have Fun!!
I second this. Was in Moab late May. Aired down for Dome Plateau but was aired up normal for Potash/Shafer Trail. Saw lots of average everyday vehicles on the trail. Hyundai Santa Cruz truck, Subaru Forrester, etc.

Sponsored

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Try and fit in Onion Creek Trail while in Moab. Has 20 small water crossings and beautiful scenery for 8 miles. Airing down is not required.

Ford Bronco Newby off roader needs advice IMG_8140

omi205

Badlands
First Name
BoJack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Try and fit in Onion Creek Trail while in Moab. Has 20 small water crossings and beautiful scenery for 8 miles. Airing down is not required.

What tires? 37s?

omi205

Badlands
First Name
BoJack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Cooper STT Pros. 37x13.5R17 on Sas wheels with beadlocks.
Strictly offroad or are they decent onroad too? Thanks for the advice.

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Strictly offroad or are they decent onroad too? Thanks for the advice.
It’s my daily, and my opinion is they’re great. They are very heavy though, and you can feel it in the steering wheel (at least I could for the first week). I set them at 20-22 psi cold for the street and they get up to 25psi after highway speeds. 10ish psi on the trails.

Sponsored

omi205

Badlands
First Name
BoJack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It’s my daily, and my opinion is they’re great. They are very heavy though, and you can feel it in the steering wheel (at least I could for the first week). I set them at 20-22 psi cold for the street and they get up to 25psi after highway speeds. 10ish psi on the trails.
Thank you sir!!! I think these could be my next upgrade. And stick with the stock sas wheels like you did to save on cash. Now i just need to figure out what i need to do with the suspension to fit these 🤪. One thing after the other 🤣.

Moabbob

Badlands
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Toyota Land Cruiser
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Last I saw, Corkscrew wasn't cleared yet. You need to check the Ouray County website. Both of the trails you are doing are basically dirt roads no rock crawling. Some wouldn't bother airing down for those two but if you want to and have a compressor it would be mostly for comfort and not traction. 20 PSI or so. If corkscrew gets opened it's always cool to drive thru where the dozers have pushed a road thru the snow.
enjoy

RedorBlue

Badlands
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
97 TJ / Ford F150/ 17 Grand Cherokee
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

So never been to MOAB but planning a trip for next year, probably a stupid question but are the trails all marked one way. I saw several blind corners and little room for error on your video of onion trail? Looks super cool.

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So never been to MOAB but planning a trip for next year, probably a stupid question but are the trails all marked one way. I saw several blind corners and little room for error on your video of onion trail? Looks super cool.
No, that is a 2-way road that is 1 vehicle wide in most spots. I wanted to be cautious around blind corners and took it easy. It's 1 road in and the same road out.

01tundra

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2003 Toyota Tacoma / 2021 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
For such a relatively heavy vehicle I wouldn't go under 20 psi.

I never went below 20 psi on any trail with my old Tundra, which weighed around 6,500 lbs and was running Trail Ready bead lock wheels.

I agree with some above and would start at 25 psi if it were me.
Sponsored