Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 4dr Badsquatch, ‘05 LJ & ‘17 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2.7/auto/non-sas is 4.46 gearing
Correct. I cant recall if I posted that before it was 100% confirmed that the standalone 4.70 gearing on the BL was not an option without sasquatch.

But either way, the 4.46 will be more than capable on the trails.

J_Meh_Cray_D

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Silverado Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Correct. I cant recall if I posted that before it was 100% confirmed that the standalone 4.70 gearing on the BL was not an option without sasquatch.

I think your post was before the B&P error was revealed/well-known. I knew you’d have learned by now, but was just correcting for the thread in case someone arrived on a google search.

Deadhead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 jl sport, F250
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
ok noob question on GPS:

- built in navigation or 3rd party hand held/phone-tablet type?
off hand I'm thinking a removable unit just in case you have to leave the vehicle

- for the phone/tablet type, I believe they come with a hard gps receiver and uses mobile device software to display/input? is that correct?

just started reading up on GPS but haven't got that far yet

recommendations to check out?
Ok, I'm new here but I saw this and had to say something.
I was a merchant marine for 13 years and currently volunteer at the local sheriff office for Search and Rescue (SaR). In the most polite voice I can find and for the sake of everyone that has to find you or will spend many crying sleepless nights while you are gone. Do not leave your vehicle.

If you get lost or go missing in the woods or on a trail we are not looking for you, we are looking for your vehicle. It's bigger and can be seen from the air. The choppers tell me where to go and I'll be there soon. The Jeep will be loaded down with EMTs and medical gear and if I have to strip the seats out to make room for more strechers, that's fine.

You leave on foot, that complicated things. Instead of EMTs, I'm bringing dog search teams, I can fit 2. They are going to have to start a new search pattern, choppers and SUVs are going to be almost useless. It's going to be a minimum of another 24 hours before we find you. A lot can happen in 24 hours.

Always bet on the people that stayed with the wreckage.

J_Meh_Cray_D

Badlands
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Silverado Crew Cab
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ok, I'm new here but I saw this and had to say something.
I was a merchant marine for 13 years and currently volunteer at the local sheriff office for Search and Rescue (SaR). In the most polite voice I can find and for the sake of everyone that has to find you or will spend many crying sleepless nights while you are gone. Do not leave your vehicle.

If you get lost or go missing in the woods or on a trail we are not looking for you, we are looking for your vehicle. It's bigger and can be seen from the air. The choppers tell me where to go and I'll be there soon. The Jeep will be loaded down with EMTs and medical gear and if I have to strip the seats out to make room for more strechers, that's fine.

You leave on foot, that complicated things. Instead of EMTs, I'm bringing dog search teams, I can fit 2. They are going to have to start a new search pattern, choppers and SUVs are going to be almost useless. It's going to be a minimum of another 24 hours before we find you. A lot can happen in 24 hours.

Always bet on the people that stayed with the wreckage.
Ford Bronco Advice for would-be Bronco off-roaders 8B528E49-A05A-4D64-A7C2-EC053F73B65B

Ford Bronco Advice for would-be Bronco off-roaders 1614537691451

I know you’re not talking PJ, but still.

Sponsored

dejones64

Black Diamond
First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco 2-dr Black Diamond
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I want to say 4.7 is standard with manual transmission, non-squatch.

Marauder

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

After 6 months on this forum I can see that there are lots of potentially new off-road enthusiasts looking to get into Broncos! This is exciting and it’ll be great to see the 4x4 community grow in general.

I also see lots of “what’s this do”, “do I need this or that” type questions, so I thought I would lend my 2 cents on my general philosophy after having been heavy into off-roading the last ~15 years or so. With my below suggestions, I will assume that you may someday want to do some serious trails - not just gravel roads and an occasional mud rut.
  1. Get a good driveline. The number one thing I want to tell you is that I believe it as FAR more advantageous to pony up as much money as possible to purchase the stoutest factory driveline that you can get in your rig - if you even remotely think you may wheel aggressively. I’m talking about making sure you spend your money on things that AREN’T easy to change or add on in the aftermarket / used market world.
    • The prime example of this would be axles. If you think you will someday want to run 35”+ tires, do everything within your power to get the M210 axles. An example of this in the Jeep world would be the Dana 35 axles - which are a serious drawback when one wants to get serious about wheeling. Especially with lockers.
  2. Which brings me to my next point - lockers! The #1 single biggest improvement I made to my ‘79 Bronco was adding a rear Detroit-style locker. It’s simply AMAZING what happens when you get all tires turning in all conditions. Therefore - I HIGHLY recommend putting down the cash for lockers. Lockers are both difficult and expensive to add aftermarket. Adding a front locker also takes you to a whole other level.
  3. Transfer Case. Swapping or modifying transfer cases is VERY difficult post-purchase. Therefore - get the best transfer case you can afford. Specifically, lowest available gearing is what you are after. Secondary transfer case features like automatic engagement are also highly valuable, but may not be justified as needed on it's own (if it were separate from the gearing).
  4. Sway-bar disconnect. You NEED a sway-bar disconnect. You do NOT need the fancy-pants electronic disconnect Bronco offers as there will be aftermarket versions available cheap, but you cannot underestimate the value of this extra articulation. Adding an aftermarket version will likely be a nice intro to DIY vehicle modifications. Disconnects I think will be even more important with the Bronco due to the already lesser articulation compared to a solid front axle.
  5. MINIMIZE any lift that you add. It’s amazing how much fun you can have on a small lift and 35” tires. You likely do not need >2in of lift in this Bronco to keep you happy and entertained for a LONG time. Honestly, I would recommend stock Badlands height and no lift for as long as possible. The primary reason for this is keeping your center of gravity as low as possible. High CGs equate to bad off-road handling. Good driving skills overcome lack of lift in many situations.
  6. You do NOT NEED BEADLOCKS! I regularly run 12psi in the rear, and 15psi in the front. This is plenty low to get adequate deformation of the tire (see above picture). I have only had 1 problem with unseating a bead, which was due to winch operator error (I winched myself sideways when it wasn't necessary). Until you're doing expert level stuff, save your money for those lockers ;)
In summary - I’m part of a Jeep Club and I CONSTANTLY see people buying expensive D44 crate axles, paying for lockers with install labor, etc., and generally speaking they always wish they would have just bought a Rubicon to begin with. It can eliminate a lot of headache if you’re think you might get serious. Starting with the best available hardware to begin with has a lot of advantages.

Important Contributions From Other Members (Paraphrased)
  1. Trail Etiquette @Ramble_Offroad
    1. Never go wheeling alone
    2. Stay on designated routes
    3. Always pick up your trash
    4. Tread lightly
    5. Don't be an asshole
    6. Pay it forward
    7. Leave it better than you found it
    8. https://staythetrail.org/
  2. Wheeling Advice @Ramble_Offroad @Bronco @WillisC’onnors @BLTN @broncoenthusiast @BAUS67 @395N @pan-y-cerveza @RevealItAsap
    1. Understand and stay within the limits of your equipment and skillset
      • Be realistic
      • Don't let anyone (especially cute girls/guys) talk you into exceeding your limits
    2. Carefully select your line and read the terrain. Walk the critical sections first. Walking the next obstacle section of the trail is a VERY helpful.
    3. Too much throttle + hopping = broken shit
    4. Join a local club. They will have access to private wheeling ground you won't. Also a great deal of experienced people.
    5. Anticipate the effects of poor weather. A moderate trail can become nearly impassable after just a few minutes of rain/snow
    6. Don't be afraid to use it. Part of wheeling is occasional damage. Obviously don't trash your rig, but using your common sense know that damage can be fixed.
    7. Traction is everything. Minimize wheel spin wherever possible. Tire placement on obstacles is very important.
  3. Gear advice @Ramble_Offroad @Gr8Hortoni @Blksn955.o
    • You NEED a first aid kit. It can be simple.
    • Tire puncture repair kit & air compressor = gold
      • Great way to pick up 4x4 chicks err I mean friends
    • LOCKERS BEFORE LIGHTBARS!!!
      • When the rubber meats the road, ONLY functionality matters.
    • A blanket - girls love them and so do you
    • Roll of toilet paper. Definitely necessary - keep a full roll in a plastic bag. Leaves or a sacrificial sock are your alternative...
MIOBI (Make It Or Break It) - Knoxville, IA (private owned park)

Strike Ravine - Moab, UT

Iron Range - Gilbert, MN (Public DNR run park)
You’re awesome. Thanks for posting this!

Drex

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'13 SLK55 AMG, '15 Indian Chief, '15 WRX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I want to say 4.7 is standard with manual transmission, non-squatch.
Correct, the standard rear gear that comes on all Badlands is a 4.70.

If you get the optional automatic transmission without Sasquatch, then you are moved to a 4.46 set.

A large number of people incorrectly believe you change the axle ratio when you 'get' the manual, but the manual and 4.7 is what it comes with from the factory. The auto is the extra cost option that forces the 4.46 (with the Sasquatch option getting it back).

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

After 6 months on this forum I can see that there are lots of potentially new off-road enthusiasts looking to get into Broncos! This is exciting and it’ll be great to see the 4x4 community grow in general.

I also see lots of “what’s this do”, “do I need this or that” type questions, so I thought I would lend my 2 cents on my general philosophy after having been heavy into off-roading the last ~15 years or so. With my below suggestions, I will assume that you may someday want to do some serious trails - not just gravel roads and an occasional mud rut.
  1. Get a good driveline. The number one thing I want to tell you is that I believe it as FAR more advantageous to pony up as much money as possible to purchase the stoutest factory driveline that you can get in your rig - if you even remotely think you may wheel aggressively. I’m talking about making sure you spend your money on things that AREN’T easy to change or add on in the aftermarket / used market world.
    • The prime example of this would be axles. If you think you will someday want to run 35”+ tires, do everything within your power to get the M210 axles. An example of this in the Jeep world would be the Dana 35 axles - which are a serious drawback when one wants to get serious about wheeling. Especially with lockers.
  2. Which brings me to my next point - lockers! The #1 single biggest improvement I made to my ‘79 Bronco was adding a rear Detroit-style locker. It’s simply AMAZING what happens when you get all tires turning in all conditions. Therefore - I HIGHLY recommend putting down the cash for lockers. Lockers are both difficult and expensive to add aftermarket. Adding a front locker also takes you to a whole other level.
  3. Transfer Case. Swapping or modifying transfer cases is VERY difficult post-purchase. Therefore - get the best transfer case you can afford. Specifically, lowest available gearing is what you are after. Secondary transfer case features like automatic engagement are also highly valuable, but may not be justified as needed on it's own (if it were separate from the gearing).
  4. Sway-bar disconnect. You NEED a sway-bar disconnect. You do NOT need the fancy-pants electronic disconnect Bronco offers as there will be aftermarket versions available cheap, but you cannot underestimate the value of this extra articulation. Adding an aftermarket version will likely be a nice intro to DIY vehicle modifications. Disconnects I think will be even more important with the Bronco due to the already lesser articulation compared to a solid front axle.
  5. MINIMIZE any lift that you add. It’s amazing how much fun you can have on a small lift and 35” tires. You likely do not need >2in of lift in this Bronco to keep you happy and entertained for a LONG time. Honestly, I would recommend stock Badlands height and no lift for as long as possible. The primary reason for this is keeping your center of gravity as low as possible. High CGs equate to bad off-road handling. Good driving skills overcome lack of lift in many situations.
  6. You do NOT NEED BEADLOCKS! I regularly run 12psi in the rear, and 15psi in the front. This is plenty low to get adequate deformation of the tire (see above picture). I have only had 1 problem with unseating a bead, which was due to winch operator error (I winched myself sideways when it wasn't necessary). Until you're doing expert level stuff, save your money for those lockers ;)
In summary - I’m part of a Jeep Club and I CONSTANTLY see people buying expensive D44 crate axles, paying for lockers with install labor, etc., and generally speaking they always wish they would have just bought a Rubicon to begin with. It can eliminate a lot of headache if you’re think you might get serious. Starting with the best available hardware to begin with has a lot of advantages.

Important Contributions From Other Members (Paraphrased)
  1. Trail Etiquette @Ramble_Offroad
    1. Never go wheeling alone
    2. Stay on designated routes
    3. Always pick up your trash
    4. Tread lightly
    5. Don't be an asshole
    6. Pay it forward
    7. Leave it better than you found it
    8. https://staythetrail.org/
  2. Wheeling Advice @Ramble_Offroad @Bronco @WillisC’onnors @BLTN @broncoenthusiast @BAUS67 @395N @pan-y-cerveza @RevealItAsap
    1. Understand and stay within the limits of your equipment and skillset
      • Be realistic
      • Don't let anyone (especially cute girls/guys) talk you into exceeding your limits
    2. Carefully select your line and read the terrain. Walk the critical sections first. Walking the next obstacle section of the trail is a VERY helpful.
    3. Too much throttle + hopping = broken shit
    4. Join a local club. They will have access to private wheeling ground you won't. Also a great deal of experienced people.
    5. Anticipate the effects of poor weather. A moderate trail can become nearly impassable after just a few minutes of rain/snow
    6. Don't be afraid to use it. Part of wheeling is occasional damage. Obviously don't trash your rig, but using your common sense know that damage can be fixed.
    7. Traction is everything. Minimize wheel spin wherever possible. Tire placement on obstacles is very important.
  3. Gear advice @Ramble_Offroad @Gr8Hortoni @Blksn955.o
    • You NEED a first aid kit. It can be simple.
    • Tire puncture repair kit & air compressor = gold
      • Great way to pick up 4x4 chicks err I mean friends
    • LOCKERS BEFORE LIGHTBARS!!!
      • When the rubber meats the road, ONLY functionality matters.
    • A blanket - girls love them and so do you
    • Roll of toilet paper. Definitely necessary - keep a full roll in a plastic bag. Leaves or a sacrificial sock are your alternative...
MIOBI (Make It Or Break It) - Knoxville, IA (private owned park)

Strike Ravine - Moab, UT

Iron Range - Gilbert, MN (Public DNR run park)
This is the post that really pushed me over the edge to do a Base Sasquatch over a Big Bend with rear locker. Better front axle, front and rear lockers and better t-case...all from factory and with warranty.

Not sure if I'll like the 35's, but the recent KOH videos have me feeling okay if I end up dropping to 33's!

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

really great info in this thread, so useful! Thanks to all the contributors.

Question regarding recovery gear, the basics have been mentioned, but are there ready made kits that people recommend? Brands? Items to avoid? I've been watching quite some recovery videos but usually they don't mention what ever brand tow rope they have etc.
And what kind of jack? I'm currently thinking bottle jack instead of a high lift, easier to store and not quite as dangerous I believe?

I won't have a winch until there's a bumper that hides it out of the way of the front camera, but will most likely get one eventually (though I might also opt for a hitch mounted one and add a front receiver, so I can winch both ways and leave it at home when I'm not on a trail).

I will also get some kind of satellite communication unit, most likely Garmin but am looking at others too. I will be exploring alone at times, no difficult trails, but definitely out of reach of cellphones.

Sponsored

DonM

Base
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4DR Base Sasquatch 2.3 in VB
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Question regarding recovery gear, the basics have been mentioned, but are there ready made kits that people recommend? Brands? Items to avoid? I've been watching quite some recovery videos but usually they don't mention what ever brand tow rope they have etc.
And what kind of jack? I'm currently thinking bottle jack instead of a high lift, easier to store and not quite as dangerous I believe?

I won't have a winch until there's a bumper that hides it out of the way of the front camera, but will most likely get one eventually (though I might also opt for a hitch mounted one and add a front receiver, so I can winch both ways and leave it at home when I'm not on a trail).

I will also get some kind of satellite communication unit, most likely Garmin but am looking at others too. I will be exploring alone at times, no difficult trails, but definitely out of reach of cellphones.
I know there are pre-made recovery kits that go from basic to a bunch of stuff. Just Google it....you'll see a bunch. I would think that you would minimally need attachment points on vehicle, attachment methods for trees/poles, a rope, gloves, shovel and maybe a dirt claw when trees/poles aren't an option.

As for a jack, no idea. Something other than the factory one for sure. I believe, at least some, can be used a "winch", not sure which ones or how.

Definitely some type of satellite communications device. Even if it can only shoot out your coordinates to designated people.

And first aid kit and trash bags!

OP
OP
vrewald14

vrewald14

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Ford Excursion, 79 Ford Bronco, 04 Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Honestly I would stay away from the "ready made kits". It's not that the kits are bad, it's just that to me they seem overpriced for what you get.

Here's what I take with me on every wheeling trip. Actually this stuff never leaves my vehicle because I have it stowed away so nicely. I'll try to organize things into "mandatory" and "optional".

Mandatory
  • TWO 3"x30' tow straps - One for main connection vehicle to vehicle and other to serve as a tree strap (simply wrap around anchor point as needed to get right length) I really like these from Smittybilt and they're what I carry: https://www.amazon.com/Smittybilt-C...ds=smittybilt+tow+strap&qid=1615563540&sr=8-5
  • Tree strap of some form (see above). I prefer just to use a second full-length strap, not the shorter purpose made tree straps. You are responsible for protecting the tree, and your gear. Never wrap your winch line around your anchor point and hook it to itself - you will damage your winch line and the tree.
  • TWO metal clevises. 1 for attaching to vehicle and other for attaching to anchor point
  • Non-bumper vehicle anchor point. Hooks bolted directly to frame, or 2" receiver hitch shackle (my favorite, provided that receiver hitch mount is in good shape and distributes load well) Welded recovery points are permissible as long as the welder was at all competent. If you can't judge competent weldments quickly visually, stay away from them.
  • Jack for the appropriate height of your vehicle. I carry a bottle jack as the OEM jack is worthless on my lifted vehicle in offroad situations
Optional
  • Extra clevises / shackles. One thing you can never have too many of
  • A second 2" receiver hitch shackle. Always keep your first one in the rear hitch, and the second one for an unprepared buddy who has to pull you out :)
  • Winch
  • 2 Snatch blocks - incredibly valuable for tricky situations and winching sideways (it happens!) I use the Smittybilt ones.
  • Dedicated tree strap - it is convenient to have but I would rather have a full length 2nd strap if I had to choose
  • Log chain - only for unique situations and non-dynamic / non-shock loading
  • High Lift Jack - I carry a 60" and it does come in handy occasionally
  • High Lift Jack winch kit - Yes, you can use your High Lift Jack as a winch. A poor-man's winch and I used many times prior to getting an actual winch
  • Shock-absorbing snatch strap. Good for when stuck in mud and you need to use dynamic momentum to break loose without breaking stuff
  • Synthetic clevises - don't own any personally but a nice lightweight alternative to steel shackles

Daktari

Badlands
First Name
Oliver
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Badsquatch, Tacoma TRD Off Road, Jetta
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

great list of things, thanks!

BecauseMotor

Wildtrak
First Name
Springer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW GTI, Ducati Panigale 959, Triumph T100
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Great info. Following.

Any drawbacks doing this with a wildtrak?

OP
OP
vrewald14

vrewald14

Badlands
First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
03 Ford Excursion, 79 Ford Bronco, 04 Toyota Camry
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Great info. Following.

Any drawbacks doing this with a wildtrak?
Nope! You will adapt and overcome relative to your vehicle's capabilities.
Sponsored