First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am seeing an old style antenna on the right-hand rear view mirror in some pictures of the new Bronco and some I don't see the antenna but I see a more modern antenna "puck" on the rear roll-bar cross member.

Is this antenna only on the entry level base model? I would hate to have this old style antenna on any Bronco as this will likely get snapped off running through the trails.
Sponsored

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

The "old style" you describe is that standard AM/FM antenna that will come on all broncos. It is sometimes removed on the demonstrator units to make them look more sleek.

The puck on the rear bar is the Satellite Radio / GPS antenna.

The old style antenna, because it is so long, is thin and easily sways and moves from branches. You are unlikely to snap it off.

If you'd like, you can always remove it yourself or replace it with a stubby antenna in the same place. It just screws in. (Google what is available for Jeeps to get an idea)

Ford Bronco Old style antenna on some Bronco pics 1615223042038

Broncolli

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Back Diamond 4 door MIC
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The negative Nancy side of me says it is 2021 and they could have put the antenna in the windshield like my 1972 Buick had.

Ford Bronco Old style antenna on some Bronco pics 1615223273498

FourHorses

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Currently own 6 Fords
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I just put a stubby on my F-150 this past weekend. Looks much better, with minimal to no loss of reception. As @ZackDanger mentioned, the puck is for Satellite Radio and GPS.

Brongo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
The negative Nancy side of me says it is 2021 and they could have put the antenna in the windshield like my 1972 Buick had.

1615223273498.png
That antenna is gonna get caught up in brush and branches when I never go rock crawling through tight trails!!! Seriously though, I do agree with you.

Last edited:

Sponsored

FTBronco9

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-150
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Is the antenna used for anything other than the radio?

85_Ranger4x4

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
That antenna is gonna get caught up in brush and branches when I never go rock crawling through tight trails!!! Seriously though, I do agree with you.
In 2021 people also expect their radio to work...

Dad had the stupid in glass antennae in his '81 C10, it worked okish at best depending on which direction the truck was pointed, cleanliness of windshield, and the alignment of up to 7 undetermined stars.

Never had a problem with a normal aerial before, I doubt the Bronco will be any different.

Brongo

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
In 2021 people also expect their radio to work...

Dad had the stupid in glass antennae in his '81 C10, it worked okish at best depending on which direction the truck was pointed, cleanliness of windshield, and the alignment of up to 7 undetermined stars.

Never had a problem with a normal aerial before, I doubt the Bronco will be any different.
Well I'm all for it then, because I have no plans to pay for satellite radio after my free trial ends.

csj

Outer Banks
First Name
Craig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Tacoma OR
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
FWIW, on a previous vehicle I relocated the old style antenna to underneath the trim piece of the passenger side windshield pillar. Didn't work quite as well but it was totally out of the way then.

Sponsored

Used2jeep

Banned
Black Diamond
Banned
Banned
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Crown Vic P71
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

The "old style" you describe is that standard AM/FM antenna that will come on all broncos. It is sometimes removed on the demonstrator units to make them look more sleek.

The puck on the rear bar is the Satellite Radio / GPS antenna.

The old style antenna, because it is so long, is thin and easily sways and moves from branches. You are unlikely to snap it off.

If you'd like, you can always remove it yourself or replace it with a stubby antenna in the same place. It just screws in. (Google what is available for Jeeps to get an idea)

Ford Bronco Old style antenna on some Bronco pics 1615223273498
YMMV on the reception when using the stubbies.

Dirty Bronco

Badlands
First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco - 4 Door Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Here is what you will find by going to a stubby.. it will work but NOT as well as the original attenna. You want your stubby to be made of high quality materials if you actually plan on using your antenna for AM/FM. For instance... if you live downtown near the radio stations then the standard stubby antenna will work just fine. However, once you get out and into the suburbs your reception will fall off. The aftermarket is filled with options... try and find one that is primarily made out of copper on the inside or has the spiral format. The one I linked above is one of the most favorably reviewed stubbys on Amazon... its however 13" which is longer than the average 6" stubby. This one seems to not drop signal once you start to venture further than 10+ miles from the stations.

https://www.amazon.com/Compatible-2...pY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU&th=1

PowPow

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tahoe
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I am seeing an old style antenna on the right-hand rear view mirror in some pictures of the new Bronco and some I don't see the antenna but I see a more modern antenna "puck" on the rear roll-bar cross member.

Is this antenna only on the entry level base model? I would hate to have this old style antenna on any Bronco as this will likely get snapped off running through the trails.
Do you have a pic? I can't remember the last time I've seen a car with an "old style" antenna... I only see the satellite styles, with maybe a short stub for radio...

when you say old style, I think this:
Ford Bronco Old style antenna on some Bronco pics 1615225794132

like old school metal sticking into the air. There's no way this car is coming with that, is it??

OP
OP
Sophie66

Sophie66

Badlands
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do you have a pic? I can't remember the last time I've seen a car with an "old style" antenna... I only see the satellite styles, with maybe a short stub for radio...

when you say old style, I think this:
Ford Bronco Old style antenna on some Bronco pics 1615225794132

like old school metal sticking into the air. There's no way this car is coming with that, is it??
Ford Bronco Old style antenna on some Bronco pics Screen Shot 2021-03-08 at 12.59.13 PM
Sponsored