First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2019 Audi SQ%
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Dealer indicates they have allocations with VINS and build dates that they can still customize. For a refundable deposit they can customize it to what the customer wants and submit the final specs. Claims the build date for the few left are late August.

Is this a thing?
Sponsored

BlueBronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 F150 KR - '21 BL - 23' OBX
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
If they already have a VIN then only minor changes are allowed like paint and accessories. No changes involving model, doors, motor, transmission or transfer case are typically allowed. Might be able to change top or package (mid,hi,lux) but not likely.

frdfan

Big Bend
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BB Sasquatch HPRM
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
A local dealer near me did this for a friend of mine. So yes, it is a thing. He was able to change color, engine, and add switches. The refundable deposit puts your name on the order, not binding if you decide not to buy it. This isn't a fee to click a few button on their computer.

Gabby

Base
First Name
Gabriella
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22' Bronco, 16 Tiger 800XCx, 96 Duc 900SS/Sp
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Odd they want to charge you to click a few buttons on their computer system.
Dude any custom order requires a deposit. I had to put a 1k down for my 16' Spark and 500 for my 22 Bronco. If you don't take delivery you get the money back. If you do the money goes to your down payment.

So no, it's not a fee to "click some buttons." And anyway, clicking those buttons isn't something you can do, unless you have access to actually order a vic from a manufacturer.

Sponsored

thisisliam

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Brono Outer Banks
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Dude any custom order requires a deposit. I had to put a 1k down for my 16' Spark and 500 for my 22 Bronco. If you don't take delivery you get the money back. If you do the money goes to your down payment.

So no, it's not a fee to "click some buttons." And anyway, clicking those buttons isn't something you can do, unless you have access to actually order a vic from a manufacturer.
Whoa, calm down. The OP indicated the dealership already has allocations with VINs and build dates, so it's hardly a custom order when the vehicle is already scheduled for production. They're simply changing the color or adding or removing a package to an existing dealer stock order. IMO, just sounds like another way to get some more cash from a prospective customer. As @BlueBronco mentioned above, the vehicle can only have minor mods once it's scheduled.

Of course, if it gets the OP their vehicle, go for it.

AKBronc49

Outer Banks
First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 F150,02 Excursion,06 Chrysler 300C,21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
OP
OP
aham23

aham23

Badlands
First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The deposit is applied to the cost obviously. I dont see it as a fee to click some buttons. Appreciate the feedback everyone.

frdfan

Big Bend
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 BB Sasquatch HPRM
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Pretty sure I put $0 down to place my order.
It all depends on the dealer--my dealer didn't charge me a deposit because I've bought from them before, others at the same dealership were being charged deposits.

Sponsored

userdude

Badlands
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 2dr Badsquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I've understood that a VIN number is a unique description of a car to be produced according to the VIN description. So my assumptions about this offer are:

1. They aren't changing the VIN, they would simply be matching you to a VIN that suitably matches the request.
2. The changes you request could then be made (probably to a dealer stock order) to things that are not categorically VIN related.
3. There may be dealer add-ons.

Here's what's in a VIN and thus seems unlikely to change:

https://www.edmunds.com/how-to/how-to-quickly-decode-your-vin.html

My understanding also, although I don't know, is that once a VIN is generated, the manufacturer is obligated to build that VIN. Like a record of an as-built, it eventually needs to exist. However, I don't know this for sure and don't recall where I heard it (probably my brother).

OP
OP
aham23

aham23

Badlands
First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
the way it was explained to me was these are STOCK orders that the dealer can still change. somethings like 2.7 and lux could not be changed. per the screen pics we exchanged the build date is indeed 8/21.

i did some due diligence and they check out. does the deal, who knows. i basically am just reserving a stock unit, optioned to my liking, with no guarantees. no risk involved. :)

OP
OP
aham23

aham23

Badlands
First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
checking back in.....the unit was built to my specs and appears to be awaiting shipment. i was able to grab the VIN from the dealer site where it has pre populated as "In Transit." then checked with FORD chat for a status.

Thank you so much for holding. As of September 1st, your vehicle is still in awaiting shipment. The vehicle is completely build, we are still waiting for the shipment to pick up the vehicle from the plant. The ETA date is between 09/05/2023-09/11/2023. You can also check your status online at https://shop.ford.com/vehicleordertracking#/

OP
OP
aham23

aham23

Badlands
First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Dealer just sent me a text picture of the Bronco on their lot. Just need to work on the paperwork next. So far so good....

OP
OP
aham23

aham23

Badlands
First Name
A
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Paperwork done today. Scheduling transportation. Will it make the 1800 miles unscathed....

Fingers crossed.
Sponsored