First Name
peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I got a Bronco Outerbanks in August 2023. Only thing missing was the Sasquatch package, but to make a long story short, I lucked into it, and took it. Bought from a dealer in New Jersey. I live in New York. No connected services from day one. I spent several weeks trying, without success, to work with Ford and Fordpass people (could not connect to Fordpass, hence their involvement).

I probably had between 15-20 calls with both Ford and Fordpass and with few (perhaps one) exceptions, the people were utterly incompetent and made it clear they simply didn't care that a car I had just spent more than $60k for was not able to function fully. I performed more soft, hard, head unit and complete (as in remove the battery terminal) resets, at their direction, than I do on most cell phones or other electronics/computers.

I was repeatedly promised return phone calls from "engineers" that never occurred. Finally, one day, after multiple promises that a Ford "engineer" would be calling, I spoke to another representative, probably number 10 or so in my quest to find out what was wrong with my car, and explained my saga yet again.

Curiously, I had to tell an ever lengthening story about what was wrong and what they had already had me do to every representative. It's almost like they didn't write notes in their files or simply couldn't read what others had written. In my opinion, both are equally plausible.

So, after telling him my story and the things I had been directed to do by his colleagues and specifically telling him I would not perform any further resets he asked me to go to the car but promised that he wasn't going to make me do another reset. Hah, stupid me. Sure enough, he started me down the path of another reset. It was almost like the earlier conversation (perhaps 30 seconds earlier) had never happened. Yes, I admit, I called him the "I" word. Yes, I used the word "idiot" in a fit of pique. Of course he hung up on me.

I waited several days after that for a Ford engineer to call me and when no call was forthcoming, I called back asking to speak to a supervisor. Did you know that supervisors do not take calls? I learned that Ford supervisors do not take direct calls and I was advised that supervisors cannot be spoken to directly but will return the call within 48 hours. P.S. I'm still waiting for any supervisor to call me back.

However, the person I spoke to looked up my case number (I had several for Ford and Fordpass--their systems apparently do not communicate nor cross populate) and she told me there was an engineering finding but the case had been closed and that is why I had not gotten a return call from a Ford "engineer".

I asked why it was closed and she told me from her notes (amazing--she either was one of the few capable of reading, or my abusive behavior had made it into the notes) that it was because I was abusive to the last person I had spoken to.

So, after learning that an "engineer" had diagnosed the problem but Ford had not relayed the diagnosis to me because of my abusiveness, she was kind enough to ask if I was interested in what the "engineers" had found and when I responded affirmatively, she sent me an email with the diagnosis:

"There are two ECG DTCs present in the vehicle: U2401-00 and U2401-92 indicating loss of communication with the APIM. I also see the CCS in “Waiting” status which explains why the vehicle is receiving commands but not displaying the popup for the customer.
I recommend a dealer visit and TCU update to start, then an APIM and GWM hard reset."

To be clear, the dealer was awesome. Took the car from me several times (30 miles one way trip and could be anywhere from an hour to 2 plus hour drive) to fix it and bring it back. Something about a strike and not wanting to leave the car at the dealership for any length of time made them bring it back to me while waiting for a new APIM to arrive.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, shortly after my connected services issue was fixed and my laundry list of mechanical issues now includes:

-seat belt retractor issue on left rear seat (used once)
-rattle in driver's window when partially open (recently started happening)
-charging pad gets incredibly hot and barely charges a phone (tried both Android and Apple and truthfully only noticed it this past Sunday)
-threw a fault for both blind side assistance and cross traffic (started happening last week)

I love how the Bronco looks and the ride is pretty darn good for what it is meant for, but the quality of the build, at least from my experience, and the customer service, again only from my experience, are bad and really, really awful, respectively.

Sorry for the rant, but it was cathartic!
Sponsored

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

@ptgptg, thanks for sharing đź‘Ť

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Man, all these stories of tech troubles, makes me really thankful my shit has been working (mostly) fine so far.

More and more I am leaning towards keeping these newer vehicles no more than 60k miles and trading them off, let somebody else deal with the massive tech issues that are bound to start happening as these cars age.
They will affect every system on the vehicle, so yeah....

PescadorPirate

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I agree with the original poster that the communication with Ford is terrible. There seems to be no escalation path and no one is in any particular hurry to get to a resolution. My Bronco had similar problems with FordPass and has been in with the dealer for over 7 weeks. Constant back and forth between dealer and Ford engineering but no path to closure. Love the Bronco but my experience with customer service has been horrible.

Sponsored
OP
OP

ptgptg

Outer Banks
First Name
peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
@PescadorPirate, I share your pain and you are correct that the lack of follow up, the lack of any sense of urgency on their part and the utter lack of any recourse by us is frustrating. We paid a lot of money for a car that should work as designed, and when it doesn't, someone should take responsibility and no one does. What happened to pride in your work?

CrazyPete

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GMC Denali 2500HD Duramax
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I agree with the original poster that the communication with Ford is terrible. There seems to be no escalation path and no one is in any particular hurry to get to a resolution. My Bronco had similar problems with FordPass and has been in with the dealer for over 7 weeks. Constant back and forth between dealer and Ford engineering but no path to closure. Love the Bronco but my experience with customer service has been horrible.
Love the Bronco, but screw that. If my Bronco was at the dealership that long, i would Lemon Law that shit and move on.

PescadorPirate

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Problem with the lemon law is you don’t get your money back. I put about $1500 into it after I bought it (line-x, rod holders, beach buggy pass, etc..) and I won’t get that back. Plus I won’t have a vehicle. Just in a real bind right now. Hoping for a breakthrough this week.

Bill K

Big Bend
First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco Big Bend 2 Door
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Man, all these stories of tech troubles, makes me really thankful my shit has been working (mostly) fine so far.

More and more I am leaning towards keeping these newer vehicles no more than 60k miles and trading them off, let somebody else deal with the massive tech issues that are bound to start happening as these cars age.
Kind of agree with you. Am hoping that the extended warranty I purchased will have bought me some happiness for future similar problems...

lwilliams34

Big Bend
First Name
Lorne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350/2024 Bronco Big Bend (Ordered)
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I'm all for less tech and more mechanical. I wish they would flush all this Ford Pass, Modems, Hot Spots crap and just make a base vehicle with power windows and AC, but alas those days seem to be gone. Wondering if I made the right decision ordering one of these...

Sponsored

jrollo7

Black Diamond
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Range Rover Sport
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

I got a Bronco Outerbanks in August 2023. Only thing missing was the Sasquatch package, but to make a long story short, I lucked into it, and took it. Bought from a dealer in New Jersey. I live in New York. No connected services from day one. I spent several weeks trying, without success, to work with Ford and Fordpass people (could not connect to Fordpass, hence their involvement).

I probably had between 15-20 calls with both Ford and Fordpass and with few (perhaps one) exceptions, the people were utterly incompetent and made it clear they simply didn't care that a car I had just spent more than $60k for was not able to function fully. I performed more soft, hard, head unit and complete (as in remove the battery terminal) resets, at their direction, than I do on most cell phones or other electronics/computers.

I was repeatedly promised return phone calls from "engineers" that never occurred. Finally, one day, after multiple promises that a Ford "engineer" would be calling, I spoke to another representative, probably number 10 or so in my quest to find out what was wrong with my car, and explained my saga yet again.

Curiously, I had to tell an ever lengthening story about what was wrong and what they had already had me do to every representative. It's almost like they didn't write notes in their files or simply couldn't read what others had written. In my opinion, both are equally plausible.

So, after telling him my story and the things I had been directed to do by his colleagues and specifically telling him I would not perform any further resets he asked me to go to the car but promised that he wasn't going to make me do another reset. Hah, stupid me. Sure enough, he started me down the path of another reset. It was almost like the earlier conversation (perhaps 30 seconds earlier) had never happened. Yes, I admit, I called him the "I" word. Yes, I used the word "idiot" in a fit of pique. Of course he hung up on me.

I waited several days after that for a Ford engineer to call me and when no call was forthcoming, I called back asking to speak to a supervisor. Did you know that supervisors do not take calls? I learned that Ford supervisors do not take direct calls and I was advised that supervisors cannot be spoken to directly but will return the call within 48 hours. P.S. I'm still waiting for any supervisor to call me back.

However, the person I spoke to looked up my case number (I had several for Ford and Fordpass--their systems apparently do not communicate nor cross populate) and she told me there was an engineering finding but the case had been closed and that is why I had not gotten a return call from a Ford "engineer".

I asked why it was closed and she told me from her notes (amazing--she either was one of the few capable of reading, or my abusive behavior had made it into the notes) that it was because I was abusive to the last person I had spoken to.

So, after learning that an "engineer" had diagnosed the problem but Ford had not relayed the diagnosis to me because of my abusiveness, she was kind enough to ask if I was interested in what the "engineers" had found and when I responded affirmatively, she sent me an email with the diagnosis:

"There are two ECG DTCs present in the vehicle: U2401-00 and U2401-92 indicating loss of communication with the APIM. I also see the CCS in “Waiting” status which explains why the vehicle is receiving commands but not displaying the popup for the customer.
I recommend a dealer visit and TCU update to start, then an APIM and GWM hard reset."

To be clear, the dealer was awesome. Took the car from me several times (30 miles one way trip and could be anywhere from an hour to 2 plus hour drive) to fix it and bring it back. Something about a strike and not wanting to leave the car at the dealership for any length of time made them bring it back to me while waiting for a new APIM to arrive.

Fast forward to a few weeks ago, shortly after my connected services issue was fixed and my laundry list of mechanical issues now includes:

-seat belt retractor issue on left rear seat (used once)
-rattle in driver's window when partially open (recently started happening)
-charging pad gets incredibly hot and barely charges a phone (tried both Android and Apple and truthfully only noticed it this past Sunday)
-threw a fault for both blind side assistance and cross traffic (started happening last week)

I love how the Bronco looks and the ride is pretty darn good for what it is meant for, but the quality of the build, at least from my experience, and the customer service, again only from my experience, are bad and really, really awful, respectively.

Sorry for the rant, but it was cathartic!
Horrible service especially considering the purchase cost. Mine is the opposite, so far, only 980 miles. Only service I’m getting is relative to my issue of no blue stitching on my BD seats. My Riverhead Ford Dealership rep Todd has been great working on my behalf with Ford.

PescadorPirate

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm all for less tech and more mechanical. I wish they would flush all this Ford Pass, Modems, Hot Spots crap and just make a base vehicle with power windows and AC, but alas those days seem to be gone. Wondering if I made the right decision ordering one of these...
Don’t get me wrong I love the Bronco and I still think it’s best in class despite Fords customer service issues

NORCALGXP

Wildtrak
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Absolutely, I was thinking about shipping mine overseas for work after a few more years. I don't have faith in the build or design quality so sad. Mines a 2021 with only 10,000 miles. I only use for wheeling. But long term I just cant do it.
Sponsored