Sponsored

Part-Time Off-roader Build Quandary

• Thread starter Deleted member 16780
  • Start date
  • Watchers 4

Deleted member 16780

Hello. When I lived in Southern California in my 20's I had a '94 and '02 Wrangler and '96 Bronco that I was able to take off-roading in Anza-Borrego, Cleveland National Forest, and unmanaged borderlands for some desert camping and hiking trips quite regularly.

Now, 20 years later, I'm looking at a Bronco, in the mid-Atlantic/south that will serve mostly as a commuter vehicle (work, soccer practice, store-by-fouring) but can bring me back to no-nonsense fun top-down driving.

Hopefully.

But I'm a realist. And I'm older. And I want a stick.

I "reserved" a Black Diamond. Now, I'm drawn to to the Big Bend.
-Manual Trans
-Led headlamps "signature"
-Sandstone seats
-Tow package
-Heavy-duty bumper
-Locking rear axel
-Cactus Gray (originally wanted cyber orange but feel that may get tiresome)

The vinyl seats may be nice in the BD, but I remember vinyl and thighs in my Wranglers. I'm sure the marine grade addresses that, but can't get the LEDs, and the rock crawl and bash plates are not enough for me to pay the added cost for an occasional off-roader and beach cruiser. Vinyl would be better for wet surfboards and bodies I suppose. Decisions.

I was torn by the mid-package because I have a wife and children and everyone enjoys creature comforts and USB access.

But we have an XC90 for that and for long road trips.

I do miss the days of simple trucks. Like my big old steering wheel'd '78 Cheyenne, and the '94 Wrangler.
Less to go wrong, and on a first model year... they will go wrong.
All the gizmos and doo-dads.

But I'm torn, because it's not all about me.
I also built a BB with Mid and 2.7 and tube steps.

First order of business is going to the tire store for the Toyo Open Country AT III's.
33" at least.

Need a long-lasting and quiet HW tire that gives a little more beef to the BB Bronco.

To make a long story longer:

BD or BB with MT or BB with Mid 2.7.
I have a daughter that will be driving soon, but I feel that a kid should learn to drive a manual.

Thank you for any input.
Sponsored

5280Bronco

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
02 Mustang GT, 05 Volvo V70R, 17 Mazda 6
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My issue is that you can't get the BB with the advanced transfer case without sasquaching it (which is overkill for my use), so I'm forced to go BD. It sounds like you may not care about the transfer case difference, so BB without the mid package could be a spot for you.

toughtoaster

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I have mostly the same predicament as you except I keep going back and forth between 2.3L manual and 2.7 auto in the Badlands. I love driving manual, but I know the wife and resale will appreciate the auto...

OP
OP

Deleted member 16780

I have mostly the same predicament as you except I keep going back and forth between 2.3L manual and 2.7 auto in the Badlands. I love driving manual, but I know the wife and resale will appreciate the auto...
I also priced a Badlands because I found I could get a stick with a mid package, LED headlamps and get 33's.

However, I just don't feel the cost for a more off-roading forward trim could be justified for my uses. In essence, for me, it would be overkill.

I love the 2 door and priced the BB at $38K and some change for the manual I described above.

I feel that if I have to get the mid I at least want the 2.7 if I have to have an auto, and yes, my wife still remembers driving all over California as a passenger in my Wrangler. Bumpy and jerky.
I suppose I want to just go all-basic, analog, with the stick. Just a no frills truck. And you have to because you cannot even get footwell lighting with the manual LOL.

Sponsored

sjjohnny

Black Diamond
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco Black Diamond, '00 Tacoma
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My issue is that you can't get the BB with the advanced transfer case without sasquaching it (which is overkill for my use), so I'm forced to go BD. It sounds like you may not care about the transfer case difference, so BB without the mid package could be a spot for you.
This would be my issue. If you are in the mid-altantic, you get inclement weather. Your daughter will be safer with auto 4X4. Buy a beater with stick and give that to her to learn on -- teenagers have a tendency to damage/destroy first cars... at least in my experience (2 boys though).

OP
OP

Deleted member 16780

I never owned a 4x4 with one, but would like to know its advantages

OP
OP

Deleted member 16780

This would be my issue. If you are in the mid-altantic, you get inclement weather. Your daughter will be safer with auto 4X4. Buy a beater with stick and give that to her to learn on -- teenagers have a tendency to damage/destroy first cars... at least in my experience (2 boys though).
Haha, I told her manual is safer... no ability to play with electronic leash, er, phone

toughtoaster

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Mustang GT, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I also priced a Badlands because I found I could get a stick with a mid package, LED headlamps and get 33's.

However, I just don't feel the cost for a more off-roading forward trim could be justified for my uses. In essence, for me, it would be overkill.

I love the 2 door and priced the BB at $38K and some change for the manual I described above.

I feel that if I have to get the mid I at least want the 2.7 if I have to have an auto, and yes, my wife still remembers driving all over California as a passenger in my Wrangler. Bumpy and jerky.
I suppose I want to just go all-basic, analog, with the stick. Just a no frills truck. And you have to because you cannot even get footwell lighting with the manual LOL.
The real issue I have is that the price difference for the badlands 2.3L and 2.7L is the $1895 if B&P is correct. The 2.7L get you trail turn assist and one pedal driving. For $2k I get a few more things and a bigger engine, but I really just hate driving auto since the auto on-off start is delayed and when you press the gas there's ALWAYS hesitation. Never drove a manual with auto on-off start but from what I read it'll start up when I push the clutch in and gives me enough time to throw it in gear so I don't think I will be as annoyed by it as autos.

I also won't be running trails the first few years of its life so BL is absolutely overkill for me, but first model year and all I don't want to give the shop ANY excuse to invalidate warranty in the first 3-5 years since I am sure there will be some kinks to work out. After the warranty period? I plan to wheel the crap out of it since it'll be all depreciated by then and I really think I will keep this vehicle a long time.

I have a reservation in early-mid August though so with the way things are going I will most likely get a MY22 and whatever they may bring though so who knows.

Sponsored

wordstew

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
H3 Hummer, Explorer Sport, BMW R1200C
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hey Buddy

With a stick you exponentially decrease your risk of theft because nowadays most folks don't know how to drive stick.

If your daughter ever borrows your Bronco chances are her friends will want to drive it..... (Too bad they don't know how to drive stick)

Also another plus is that if you're in the middle of nowhere you can always push start your vehicle if need be.

Pancho Kornwallace

Base
First Name
Pancho
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Base
I have a manual transmission Mustang. I had high hopes about giving it to my daughter, but it did not work out that way. She did learn to drive it, but there are so many variables to consider in the most dangerous use case, which any high schooler has to deal with: an overloaded high school parking lot that has 400 new drivers trying to get in a lot in a span of about 10 minutes (7:10-7:20am).

Some drivers are super aggressive, others are overly cautious. Just taking the left turn against oncoming traffic and then parking in the spot is a pain, but doing it while remembering what to do with that 3rd pedal, with a car tailgating you (with a driver in the car behind you that has no idea what they are doing) makes it extra stressful.

Bottom line: A new driver in a manual transmission in that situation is not optimal. Platonic dreams of you kids doing s-curves on an empty mountain pass are nothing like "slow speed, full of traffic, clutch intensive" High School parking lot.

OP
OP

Deleted member 16780

My reservation is from early July. Are there any firm dates? I was hoping have by this summer.
Am I naive?

OP
OP

Deleted member 16780

I have a manual transmission Mustang. I had high hopes about giving it to my daughter, but it did not work out that way. She did learn to drive it, but there are so many variables to consider in the most dangerous use case, which any high schooler has to deal with: an overloaded high school parking lot that has 400 new drivers trying to get in a lot in a span of about 10 minutes (7:10-7:20am).

Some drivers are super aggressive, others are overly cautious. Just taking the left turn against oncoming traffic and then parking in the spot is a pain, but doing it while remembering what to do with that 3rd pedal, with a car tailgating you (with a driver in the car behind you that has no idea what they are doing) makes it extra stressful.

Bottom line: A new driver in a manual transmission in that situation is not optimal. Platonic dreams of you kids doing s-curves on an empty mountain pass are nothing like "slow speed, full of traffic, clutch intensive" High School parking lot.
Oh.. she won't be driving it soon.
And not without me in the car ;-)
Just to learn stick and some potential to inherit it down the road.

Demoncleaner

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Gladiator Mojave 6 speed
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Both manual transmission Wranglers I traded in were sold within a week on the lot. There are fans! Dealership gave me top dollar for both as well
Sponsored