Sponsored

Planning my Audio Upgrade, does it make sense?

MuthaBucker

Badlands
First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 4dr Badlands Sasquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I am looking for some help from the beautiful minds of B6G on my audio project!

Like many others, not too long after getting my bronco I decided the audio needed an upgrade. I have a 23 Badlands with High package, and the sub delete, non b+o system. It’s not terrible, but the sound is empty and it leaves me wanting more. Much more.

I’ve had aftermarket audio systems in the past, but by no means am I well versed in how they work, so before I get too deep into anything, I wanted to bounce my ideas off the crowd to see if what I’m thinking even makes sense.

For starters, here’s what I’m looking for in my upgrade:
I want clean, crisp, and loud sound with the (hard)top on or off, and ideally I’d like to be able to install it myself.

Here’s my plan:
For the rear pods, I want to swap them with the SSV pods and add the kicker speakers they offer as add-ons (https://ssvworks.com/products/2021-2023-ford-bronco-rear-speaker-pod-add-ons). These seem like a solid upgrade, and an easy way to add some volume and clarity in those rear pods.

I then want to replace the front 6.5” and 4” speakers with kicker as well, I’m planning on using these ones in particular
4”: https://www.kicker.com/47KSC40
6.5”: https://www.kicker.com/47KSS650

Then, as seems to be tradition with 6g Broncos, I’m thinking of putting in the kicker key 200.4 amp with the PnP adaptor, kit 11 (if I can find one lol).

For the much needed base upgrade, I like the stinger 12” tailgate sub. It seems like the most efficient way to get 12” of sub in there without sacrificing too much cargo space.

I’m thinking of powering that with kit 44 from the PnP website, which is an Audiocontrol LC 800w mono amp.

So here are my big questions:
1) Is this a setup that makes sense, as far as matching power output and sound quality etc?
2) Any experiences with any of the products I listed?
3) Will I still need to run ForScan for this upgrade to function properly?
Sponsored

vicorjh

Wildtrak
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Wildtrack
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Hi @MuthaBucker.

I've installed the SSV with a pair of Audiofrogs. Fits fine on the 4-door.

A couple of notes regarding the SSVs'.

The plastic is relatively thin with a large flat area on the backside. This area is resonant producing a hollow sound if tapping it with fingers.

Ford Bronco Planning my Audio Upgrade, does it make sense? IMG_20230520_205944

I didn't like the idea of leaving this surface as is. This is a good opportunity to dampen that surface with some CLD. Here, I've used some AmazonBasics CLD:

Ford Bronco Planning my Audio Upgrade, does it make sense? IMG_20230520_211615

And then, a layer of closed cell foam:

Ford Bronco Planning my Audio Upgrade, does it make sense? IMG_20230520_212305

Ford Bronco Planning my Audio Upgrade, does it make sense? IMG_20230521_091939

The plan for speakers alone should provide you with an upgraded sound but, if you can afford to, I'd also plan for an eventual amplifier install as you've suggested (I don't have the non-bo system but would presume the head amp isn't great). @RagnarKon has some great install videos.

fallguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Defender, 2022 Outerbanks SAS, 1968 Mustang
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
It looks like you are doing exactly what I did, researched a ton on these forums and formulated a plan. Our setups will be almost the same.

Like many people, I did the Kicker CS speakers/bass blockers in the front, kick panel, and rear of my 2 door, using a PnP wiring harness to my Kicker key 200.4. That alone was 100 times better than the terrible stock 6 speaker setup. I did not have B&O and no factory sub. It was just absolutely terrible. Following youtube videos, the install of everything was only a few hours going slow and having a few drinks in the driveway. I then upgraded the back speakers to 6.5"'s with Mabetts pods, so very similar to what you are doing.

I did use some boom mat to try and help the speakers as much as possible. After some more research and confidence building I set out to do something about the missing bass. I bought the Stinger Tailgate sub, their amp, and under seat bracket. All very easy to install, and then upgraded the Phoenix Gold sub to a Rockford Fosgate. Hits much harder and deeper, worthwhile upgrade.

Looking forward, I plan to get the PnPkits hard wire to the Kicker Key amp, it was not available when I bought it. Reading up on it, having power come from the battery instead of just the head units helps it out. Sounds pretty good to me, but a cheap additional wire is worth the effort to me. I may also upgrade the speakers to a higher end model. Perhaps just tweeter only up front, to me that is where most of the sound comes from, especially with the top off.

1. Yes makes sense to me, although I learned on the go doing this.
2. Yes, explained above.
3. I did the forscan for the rears, I don't think it really helped? Hard to tell. I do know that if I fade all the way to the back, the back speakers are pretty loud. Not as loud as fading all the way to the front though. Finding that sweet spot from front to rear is the biggest difference to me, and the upgraded speakers did help. I am due for an oil change, and I was going to ask them if they can do the rear scan like for the sound bar to open it all the way up. I dont need a ton of sound back there, we have a 6yo who sits right by the speaker in a car booster, but when he is not there and the top off, I would like some more "surround" sound.

Here is a thread I made about my upgrades; https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...seat-with-pics-6-5-mabett-rear-kickers.67620/ You may have seen it, if not it may help you. Again, not at all an expert, probably could have been done better but really wanted to do it myself and had a good time learning too. As I said, not that it is in and sounding good, the desire to tweak it a bit is there too.

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 6 Bronco - Jeep JKU - Wrangler LJ (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The Kickers seem to have won the war on Bronco6g... I would choose something with a bit more mid and mid-bass, like the Infinity's or Focal's.

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

1) Is this a setup that makes sense, as far as matching power output and sound quality etc?
Yup!

Just two things to note:
  • For me personally, I think that is a little bit TOO much bass for the Bronco. But if you like your low-end, I think you'll be happy.
  • If you are going more for a more balanced/quality sound when the roof on the Bronco is on, I would consider using component speakers for the front of the Bronco rather than coaxials. (Although from your post it sounds like you may be leaning more towards the volume while the roof is off.)
2) Any experiences with any of the products I listed?
Other than the rear Stinger subwoofer... everything you picked is exactly what I bought and installed.

I am extremely happy with the results. BUT a big reason why I am so happy is because I bought the 4" Kickers for 45% off, and the 6.75" Kickers for 40% off during the holiday season.

If I could do it again and I wasn't as concerned with getting that holiday pricing, I would have picked different speakers for the front. The 4" Kicker 47KSC40 in particular are very much biased towards the high-end, and I would have picked speakers that are a little more balanced on the mid-range, such as the Infinity Reference, or the Focals that @Pressurized mentioned.

3) Will I still need to run ForScan for this upgrade to function properly?
It's not "necessary" at all. But if you want your rear pods to sound their best, Forscan is the easiest way to achieve that. Not difficult to do at all, and I have a post on it if you need help.

Sponsored
OP
OP

MuthaBucker

Badlands
First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi @MuthaBucker.

I've installed the SSV with a pair of Audiofrogs. Fits fine on the 4-door.

A couple of notes regarding the SSVs'.

The plastic is relatively thin with a large flat area on the backside. This area is resonant producing a hollow sound if tapping it with fingers.

I didn't like the idea of leaving this surface as is. This is a good opportunity to dampen that surface with some CLD. Here, I've used some AmazonBasics CLD:

And then, a layer of closed cell foam:

The plan for speakers alone should provide you with an upgraded sound but, if you can afford to, I'd also plan for an eventual amplifier install as you've suggested (I don't have the non-bo system but would presume the head amp isn't great). @RagnarKon has some great install videos.

Awesome, that’s a great tip, I’ll definitely go in and add some CLD prior to install. Did the set you bought come with the foam or did you source that separately?

OP
OP

MuthaBucker

Badlands
First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
It looks like you are doing exactly what I did, researched a ton on these forums and formulated a plan. Our setups will be almost the same.

Like many people, I did the Kicker CS speakers/bass blockers in the front, kick panel, and rear of my 2 door, using a PnP wiring harness to my Kicker key 200.4. That alone was 100 times better than the terrible stock 6 speaker setup. I did not have B&O and no factory sub. It was just absolutely terrible. Following youtube videos, the install of everything was only a few hours going slow and having a few drinks in the driveway. I then upgraded the back speakers to 6.5"'s with Mabetts pods, so very similar to what you are doing.

I did use some boom mat to try and help the speakers as much as possible. After some more research and confidence building I set out to do something about the missing bass. I bought the Stinger Tailgate sub, their amp, and under seat bracket. All very easy to install, and then upgraded the Phoenix Gold sub to a Rockford Fosgate. Hits much harder and deeper, worthwhile upgrade.

Looking forward, I plan to get the PnPkits hard wire to the Kicker Key amp, it was not available when I bought it. Reading up on it, having power come from the battery instead of just the head units helps it out. Sounds pretty good to me, but a cheap additional wire is worth the effort to me. I may also upgrade the speakers to a higher end model. Perhaps just tweeter only up front, to me that is where most of the sound comes from, especially with the top off.

1. Yes makes sense to me, although I learned on the go doing this.
2. Yes, explained above.
3. I did the forscan for the rears, I don't think it really helped? Hard to tell. I do know that if I fade all the way to the back, the back speakers are pretty loud. Not as loud as fading all the way to the front though. Finding that sweet spot from front to rear is the biggest difference to me, and the upgraded speakers did help. I am due for an oil change, and I was going to ask them if they can do the rear scan like for the sound bar to open it all the way up. I dont need a ton of sound back there, we have a 6yo who sits right by the speaker in a car booster, but when he is not there and the top off, I would like some more "surround" sound.

Here is a thread I made about my upgrades; https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...seat-with-pics-6-5-mabett-rear-kickers.67620/ You may have seen it, if not it may help you. Again, not at all an expert, probably could have been done better but really wanted to do it myself and had a good time learning too. As I said, not that it is in and sounding good, the desire to tweak it a bit is there too.

Yes! I definitely read your post and took a lot from your build, so thank you for posting that!

That’s what I was thinking, instead of forscan just asking the dealer to do the soundbar flash. I was also wondering if doing either the soundbar flash or ForScan would essentially eliminate the kicker key tech

OP
OP

MuthaBucker

Badlands
First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yup!

Just two things to note:
  • For me personally, I think that is a little bit TOO much bass for the Bronco. But if you like your low-end, I think you'll be happy.
  • If you are going more for a more balanced/quality sound when the roof on the Bronco is on, I would consider using component speakers for the front of the Bronco rather than coaxials. (Although from your post it sounds like you may be leaning more towards the volume while the roof is off.)

Other than the rear Stinger subwoofer... everything you picked is exactly what I bought and installed.

I am extremely happy with the results. BUT a big reason why I am so happy is because I bought the 4" Kickers for 45% off, and the 6.75" Kickers for 40% off during the holiday season.

If I could do it again and I wasn't as concerned with getting that holiday pricing, I would have picked different speakers for the front. The 4" Kicker 47KSC40 in particular are very much biased towards the high-end, and I would have picked speakers that are a little more balanced on the mid-range, such as the Infinity Reference, or the Focals that @Pressurized mentioned.

It's not "necessary" at all. But if you want your rear pods to sound their best, Forscan is the easiest way to achieve that. Not difficult to do at all, and I have a post on it if you need help.

Wow you’re like a legend on here dude, appreciate the tips on those speakers, and if I use ForScan I will absolutely be using your write up, that thing deserves a Nobel prize.

I was originally thinking Kicker because it felt better having brand cohesion between the parts of the system, but I certainly want a well balanced sound. I love loud music, my gf not as much lol.

OP
OP

MuthaBucker

Badlands
First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
The Kickers seem to have won the war on Bronco6g... I would choose something with a bit more mid and mid-bass, like the Infinity's or Focal's.

Thanks, will definitely check them out

vicorjh

Wildtrak
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco Wildtrack
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Did the set you bought come with the foam or did you source that separately?
It doesn't come with the kit.

Sourced the CLD and foam separately via Amazon. CLD to add mass. The foam itself probably doesn't help a lot. Thinking is that it helps break up the reflective surface internally. Relatively inexpensive. Maybe an hour to do both.

Sponsored

DJ1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As @RagnarKon said, you might be unbalanced between your 2 amps. Your Kicker Key is going to be working hard to keep up with the sub amp. Another choice would be to go with a higher quality amp for the front and back channels to match the output of your proposed sub amp. You could then avoid the fixes of Forscan, polypill, bass blockers, etc. Assuming you can setup and tune the amp (especially if it has a true DSP). I love the JL and Audio Control 5-channel amps with built-in DSPs.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...-dsp-speakers-and-sub-lots-of-pictures.43856/

OP
OP

MuthaBucker

Badlands
First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
As @RagnarKon said, you might be unbalanced between your 2 amps. Your Kicker Key is going to be working hard to keep up with the sub amp. Another choice would be to go with a higher quality amp for the front and back channels to match the output of your proposed sub amp. You could then avoid the fixes of Forscan, polypill, bass blockers, etc. Assuming you can setup and tune the amp (especially if it has a true DSP). I love the JL and Audio Control 5-channel amps with built-in DSPs.

https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/thre...-dsp-speakers-and-sub-lots-of-pictures.43856/

I was thinking about doing one amp, but was unsure about power output being enough. Do you think the 1300w is enough for all of those speakers and the sub?

Also, am I understanding correctly that DSP is basically like the kicker key tech except it’s a more manual process?

DJ1

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Tundra TRD Pro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I was thinking about doing one amp, but was unsure about power output being enough. Do you think the 1300w is enough for all of those speakers and the sub?

Also, am I understanding correctly that DSP is basically like the kicker key tech except it’s a more manual process?
1300W is more than enough, my opinion only. Unless I missed something, 1300W is more than the kicker key 200.4 + the AC 800 will deliver. The only reason I said to consider different power options is that the AC 800.1 is a serious powerhouse and pushing a 12" sub is going to give you a LOT of low end. A higher quality 4x100 would be a nice pairing with the 800.1.

The Kicker Key DSP is an automated system that uses a provided microphone to setup your amp for you. So yes, other DSPs are a manual setup process. If you want to invest the time, a manual DSP gives you total control over crossovers, time alignment, EQ, etc. Personal preference, but I wanted to set things up the way I wanted them to match my speakers.

OP
OP

MuthaBucker

Badlands
First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands

Pressurized

Outer Banks
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gen 6 Bronco - Jeep JKU - Wrangler LJ (sold)
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
@RagnarKon and @Pressurized are these the infinity speakers you were talking about?

4”:https://www.crutchfield.com/p_108R4032CM/Infinity-Reference-REF-4032cfx.html
6.5”: https://www.crutchfield.com/p_108R6532EM/Infinity-Reference-REF-6532ex.html

I looked into the Focal, and they look awesome but they are super expensive. Unless I was looking at the wrong ones.
Yes, those are the Infinity's.

These are the Focal's:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_091RCX100/Focal-RCX-100.html
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_091RCX165/Focal-RCX-165.html?tp=78072

So they are a little more than the Infinity's, but not way up there like the Audiofrog's....
Sponsored