First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram Rebel
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Hi everyone! First post, but I've been here a while. I appreciate all of information here thanks to all of the posts shared by you all. I thought I would share this in hopes I help someone else for a change.

I ordered my '23 Hot Pepper Red High package 4 door Badlands hardtop back on that glorious day in March. I received it in early July. From reading here, I knew my stereo would be less than I good, especially coming from the Hardan Karman in my '20 Ram Rebel that I traded in. (Best stock system I've ever had)

Anyways, I decided on the following setup. (I wanted quality, without breaking the bank)

Highs:

1) Kicker Key 200.4
1b) Hoel PnP harness including speaker level rca extension harness for sub amp, and separate power wire for the Kicker Key
2) Polk DB402 4" for Dash
3) Polk DB652 6.5" for kick panels and new speaker pods
4) Mabett 6.5" speaker pods
5) Metra 72-7302 two sets

Installed the speakers per the multitude of videos on YouTube and used the metra adapters. I also installed the Kicker under the steering wheel location seen on YouTube also, RagnarKon's videos are excellent!!! I set the Kicker Key crossover at 120hz high pass because 80 was a little hard on the dash speakers and I wanted to avoid adding high pass filters to them. I performed the dsp setup provided by the key then dialed up the sensitivity to around "4-5".
the highs are loud, clear, and for the money sound very good!

Lows:

1) Rockford Fosgate ("RF") F2-1200x1 sub amp
2) Two Kicker 12" Comp Shallow 2 ohm subs #48CWRT124
3) T-Spec 3 farad capacitor #1203DDC
4) Tailgate box from EBay vendor "jeepboxpro" They custom made their box to my specs for no additional charge.
5) RF amp wiring kit #575RFK4X
6) T-Spec fuse holder #120VMANL
7) Kicker 200 amp AFS fuse #206AFS200
8) Polyfill for box
9) MTI Acoustics Ford Bronco Amp Rack
10) Rockford Fosgate RFiF2SW bare wire to female rca adapter

I ran the Hoel speaker level sub extension from the harness down the passenger side back to the stock sun location where I installed the MTI Amp Rack holding the capacitor and RF sub amp. I ran the 4 gauge power wire under the rear seats trim that separates them from the cargo area and then down the driver's side through the grommet under the dash to the battery. I used the high pass wire harness that came with the R2-1200x1 and connected it to the RFiF2SW bare wire to rca adapter. This plugged into the Hoel extension I ran down the passenger side earlier. It come with male rca ends.

The power wire from the battery is fused using the t-spec and the kicker 200amp fuse since the Rockford fuse holder was insufficient and maxed at 100amp. I connected the other end to the capacitor (after charging it) and ran another power wire directly from the capacitor to the RF sub amp. I ran separate grounds from the amp and capacitor to nearby bolts with bare metal underneath in that same area.

Ran wire from amp to subs in parallel to give 1ohm load and maximum output from the RF amp. I wound up setting the amp crossover at 120hz low pass, subsonic filter @25, and amp sensitivity to @5-6.

I stuffed some polyfill in the subs box before I loaded it to "trick" the subs into thinking the box was a little larger.

I forgot to mention I ran the included RF bass boost controller cable up the passenger side also and under the dashto install the boost on driver side console for my convenience. It's 18db of adjustment so you can really tune in how much bass you want in any song.

Other than the box on the tailgate, my install looks stock. It does not sound stock though. 😳😂

Anyways, I hope this helped someone on their journey to a better stereo experience in their beloved Bronco. I will try to answer any questions my ramblings may have brought about. Cheers!

0784591__6e94f562-0d1a-42b5-90d8-8ac148c38fcc-jpeg.jpg
Sponsored

Last edited:

Lilj4425

Badlands
First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Badlands Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How do you like the Mabett speaker pods? And do those Mabett speaker pods come with all of the wiring/plug in play accessories needed in advance? I’m thinking about buying them for my Bronco and putting Kicker KSC650 6.5” speakers in them.

OP
OP

Baddieland73

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram Rebel
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
They pods do come with speaker adapters, but have bare wire ends so I added the speaker connectors myself. Not a bad kit and less expensive than the other options. Installation with the hard top on is a pain, but doable.

OP
OP

Baddieland73

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram Rebel
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I do, at least, have a picture of my speaker box installed.
Ford Bronco My Badlands Audio System Upgrade Experience 71460784591__6E94F562-0D1A-42B5-90D8-8AC148C38FCC

ejaffe

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi TT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I'm not an audio guy but I have the kicker 12" downfire box with the passive radiator and the box you put 2 - 12" speakers in looks tiny in comparison. Are you moving enough air to get decent base out of that setup?

Sponsored

Triathlonfun

Badlands
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

How do you like the Mabett speaker pods? And do those Mabett speaker pods come with all of the wiring/plug in play accessories needed in advance? I’m thinking about buying them for my Bronco and putting Kicker KSC650 6.5” speakers in them.
I did the SSV pods and the Kicker KSC650 6.5” speakers in them and it sounds great 👍🏻

WeirdFlex

Badlands
First Name
Ethan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Acura TL, Honda CR-V, MG Midget
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Excited to see more pictures! Classy work! 👨🏻‍🍳👌🏼

HarmCityHammer

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I'm not an audio guy but I have the kicker 12" downfire box with the passive radiator and the box you put 2 - 12" speakers in looks tiny in comparison. Are you moving enough air to get decent base out of that setup?
Looks like the box is probably .75 or more if it’s chambered, or it may be just common air. He uses the shallow subs that require less volume.

thenewjs

Raptor
First Name
Archie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

This is the question I need an answer to. These need about .55 cuft each minimum!

ejaffe

Outer Banks
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi TT
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
When I was looking at sealed 12" subs I thought it was closer to 1 cu ft ea. Like I said, I am not an audio guy and bought a preloaded box

Sponsored
OP
OP

Baddieland73

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram Rebel
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
When I was looking at sealed 12" subs I thought it was closer to 1 cu ft ea. Like I said, I am not an audio guy and bought a preloaded box
This box is stated to have 1.1 cu ft and is not chambered. It does have the poly fill added also. Sounds VERY good. These subs are listed as needing a minimum of 0.55 cu ft sealed

OP
OP

Baddieland73

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram Rebel
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
This is the question I need an answer to. These need about .55 cuft each minimum!
One of my favorite tracks to test bass output is "Valley of Lost Souls" on Poison's album Flesh and Blood. It has a bass drop at the end that is unbelievably good! I did have the boost much over half and it made my wife's long move a lot. More than enough output. Remember you have to really push these speakers in an sealed box. I'm used to having ported enclosures. Kick drums on rock songs are awesome with this setup. I'm very glad I ran across this option for two 12's.

thenewjs

Raptor
First Name
Archie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Braptor
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

One of my favorite tracks to test bass output is "Valley of Lost Souls" on Poison's album Flesh and Blood. It has a bass drop at the end that is unbelievably good! I did have the boost much over half and it made my wife's long move a lot. More than enough output. Remember you have to really push these speakers in an sealed box. I'm used to having ported enclosures. Kick drums on rock songs are awesome with this setup. I'm very glad I ran across this option for two 12's.
What are the dimensions of the box? I already have 2 JL 10W3's in a box from another vehicle. Thinking of building my own box for the tail gate. Got some Baltic Birch scrap and want to make a box using Festool Dominoes.

Dezperado

Outer Banks
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Jeebus. I felt my windows shaking earlier. Now I know why. :)

HOSSMAN

Badlands
First Name
HOSS
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Badlands, 2022 BMW X3 M-SPORT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Super cool build! I have been racking my brain trying to decide which speakers to put in ours but get so muddied up with amps what to do, what not to do and like all forums the more I read the more confused I get. I have been looking at the Polks too but don't want to put anything on my tailgate and don't want to lose any (what little) cargo space there is. The speaker pods are a must though for sure IMO. Great build!
Sponsored