Sponsored

Pod Speakers - Upgraded and still sound terrible?

gaaangs

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
So I upgraded all of the 4 inch speakers to Kicker KS's today. I plan on doing the 6.5 and then adding the key amp later this week.

I'm pretty happy with how the front two 4 inches by the dash sound. When I fade to the back only, the 4 inches in the pod sound like absolutely ass though.

Is this just the way it's going to be with those pod Speakers? I added some Dynamat and not a huge improvement. Will the amp eventually help them? I mean they sound like they are underwater or something...
Sponsored

Lak34ers

Big Bend
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So I upgraded all of the 4 inch speakers to Kicker KS's today. I plan on doing the 6.5 and then adding the key amp later this week.

I'm pretty happy with how the front two 4 inches by the dash sound. When I fade to the back only, the 4 inches in the pod sound like absolutely ass though.

Is this just the way it's going to be with those pod Speakers? I added some Dynamat and not a huge improvement. Will the amp eventually help them? I mean they sound like they are underwater or something...
Yes it will I did/had the same and have the Kicker 200.4 with Kicker CS speakers. Just installed Alpine 6.5 sxs pods along with the 4 inch speakers in back ...sounds so much better now. Also did forscan changes.

OP
OP

gaaangs

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Yes it will I did/had the same and have the Kicker 200.4 with Kicker CS speakers. Just installed Alpine 6.5 sxs pods along with the 4 inch speakers in back ...sounds so much better now. Also did forscan changes.
So the amp will make them sound better? This is what you are saying? Or I just need to get new pods?

Lak34ers

Big Bend
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

So the amp will make them sound better? This is what you are saying? Or I just need to get new pods?
Do the amp 200.4 with plug and play harness. Also do forscan changes...research on the forum. I have a 2021 so it worked great. I would do the mabett pods and go to 6.5 in the back 4 is not enough.

OP
OP

gaaangs

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Do the amp 200.4 with plug and play harness. Also do forscan changes...research on the forum. I have a 2021 so it worked great. I would do the mabett pods and go to 6.5 in the back 4 is not enough.
Yep got the plug N play amp ready to go. Hopefully that improves those pod speakers because...yikes.

Sponsored

Lak34ers

Big Bend
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Yep got the plug N play amp ready to go. Hopefully that improves those pod speakers because...yikes.
Yes the amp makes a huge difference and the DSP helps the surround. Sounds so good. I just think you need bigger than 4 in the back way too small. Also forscan made a big difference. I'm no expert at all but learned from videos/YouTube and posts and it was pretty easy to do it yourself. I used the Mountains2metal mount for 200.4 or you can mount under steering wheel panel. Power the amp to the battery. My stereo sounds great and above 12 it is super loud so much power now.

MNNTHBX

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Big Bend, Scion iQ, Aprilia RS660, Ural
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend

NathanML

Black Diamond
First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevrolet Corvette / Royal Enfield Continental GT
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
You’ll need to get them flashed for the sound bar (even though you don’t have the sound bar) so that full range is sent to those speakers.

GatorDave

Badlands
First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ok, it's been a while since I've messed around on here. I replaced all of my speakers, and it definitely sounds better. went with Crutchfields recommendations. just spent a while searching around the forum and I'm unclear about this post. which is the best instructions re: installing the amp 200.4? I saw a video about forscan how do you connect the laptop? also, I already installed Infiniti's in the back, how do you get a 6.5 in the back pods? thanks for sharing links and pointing me in the right direction. If anyone is reading this and afraid to change out the speakers, I've never done anything like this and easily changed out all 6 speakers of my base sound system. Thanks in advance.

Lak34ers

Big Bend
First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

Ok, it's been a while since I've messed around on here. I replaced all of my speakers, and it definitely sounds better. went with Crutchfields recommendations. just spent a while searching around the forum and I'm unclear about this post. which is the best instructions re: installing the amp 200.4? I saw a video about forscan how do you connect the laptop? also, I already installed Infiniti's in the back, how do you get a 6.5 in the back pods? thanks for sharing links and pointing me in the right direction. If anyone is reading this and afraid to change out the speakers, I've never done anything like this and easily changed out all 6 speakers of my base sound system. Thanks in advance.
Yes the video on this forum is good to show how to do the amp. Oldie but goodie. Sure there is a few on YouTube as well. Get a plug and play harness it makes it really easy. Only way to get 6.5s is change out the pods in back with Mabett or or SSV works. For forscan you buy a device on Amazon pretty cheap and it plugs into your laptop and bronco. Buckle up buttercup has a good video on this and there is a worksheet with all the codes to change on this forum...speakers, add all goat modes, get rid of double honk etc. I knew nothing about this stuff so just read up and follow the videos. Pretty low cost things that make a huge difference.

Sponsored
OP
OP

gaaangs

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You’ll need to get them flashed for the sound bar (even though you don’t have the sound bar) so that full range is sent to those speakers.
This sounds like the correct answer. How do I do this? Is this a forescan thing?

Sandbergo

Outer Banks
First Name
Jelani & Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rogue
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Turn off the speed compensation and switch the focus to all occupants rather than the driver. Wish they would go back to the balance and fade that had a slider rather than dragging the ball around. Also make adjustments to the treble, mid, and bass, if you are adding an amp turn those down and use the amp settings. I fiberglassed in a set of 6.5” speakers into the rear pods, well before they offered new pods. Metra is supposed to be launching pods as well and they may be less expensive as the Mabett and other companies. I have no idea why Ford went with a 4” rear speaker, idiotic is what comes to mind. They should have used at least a 6.5” or even a 6”x9” would have worked. Anyway, have fun and check into the forscan thing as well. Lastly, you gotta add a sub even if a small one to help.

VTMech

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 F350
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
You don't need much in the rear, as they're typically only for fill (mine get roughly half the power as the fronts. Put some quality components in there, with some clean power, and it's everything you need and more. My system still brings. smile to to face every time I drive....
https://www.bronco6g.com/forum/threads/high-end-stereo-build-thread.43828/
I second this. I had upgraded the 4" up front and reare and added the kicker ket 200.4 along with a 10" kicker hideaway sub.

I ended up getting the 6.5" pods from Mabett and installed 6.5" kickers at the rear. Hardly made a difference since for what ever reason no much power get back there. Feel like $300 wasted I can figure out how to get more power back there.

Stick with the Kicker key, a sub and the 4s all the way around. Much improved.

OP
OP

gaaangs

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Turn off the speed compensation and switch the focus to all occupants rather than the driver. Wish they would go back to the balance and fade that had a slider rather than dragging the ball around. Also make adjustments to the treble, mid, and bass, if you are adding an amp turn those down and use the amp settings. I fiberglassed in a set of 6.5” speakers into the rear pods, well before they offered new pods. Metra is supposed to be launching pods as well and they may be less expensive as the Mabett and other companies. I have no idea why Ford went with a 4” rear speaker, idiotic is what comes to mind. They should have used at least a 6.5” or even a 6”x9” would have worked. Anyway, have fun and check into the forscan thing as well. Lastly, you gotta add a sub even if a small one to help.
I was planning on using the factory spot that currently sits empty and putting a little Kicker 8 inch in there (or whatever size it is, I forget)

BBSas

Big Bend
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I recently added the plugnplay harness, kicker 4” in the front with bass blockers and kicker 6.5 in the rear with the Mabett rear pods and a kicker 200.4 amp all with the help of several different forums and members posts. I did not change the kicks as I have a 2 door. It was much better than factory but I still wasn’t 100% happy. Today, I made the Forscan adjust that other members did and WOW, game changer. I am now 100%. I’m not big on the bass thump but if you are you’ll want to add a sub, somewhere. Again, thanks to all on this forum or I would have paid a bunch more from a stereo shop and got the same result!
Sponsored