bronco100

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco 2022 2dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Do you guys leave the unit mounted and plugged into the car at all times? Currently, it is sitting in my glove compartment, but I wonder if there is anything that I would want to mess with on a daily basis...
Surprised no one has touched on this yet. Pretty sure 99% of people put it back in the box and never touch it again after the tune is installed. I personally have it mounted using the windshield mount that it came with (as it's meant to be mounted).

I like that it can display a variety of OBD2 info live, using the datalogging gauges. Still trying to figure out what are the best gauges to have displayed. I guess it's not something anyone has ever done before with a ProCal. No one even knows what all of the different gauges mean. There's no documentation on it anywhere.
I figured there would at least be some kind of forum post like "Best gauges to have displayed with your Ford Performance 2.3l Bronco ProCal" or something like that.
If anyone has their ProCal setup to display gauges, please let me know which ones and why. Otherwise it's looking like I'll be the first to figure it out.

So far I figure coolant temp is a nice one to have, and I've got RPM on there as well. Not sure what else to add.
Sponsored

RagnarKon

Badlands
First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Bronco, Escape, Focus
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

2.3L, manual transmission owner here.

I had the tuned installed by my dealer for warranty reasons. They charged around $300 once you include taxes and whatnot. Do I think it was worth $300?? No... definitely not. It's like a 15-20 minute job, and they charged 2 hours of labor for it, but other dealers in my area were charging similar... so whatever. I ended up paying for it with FordPass points so ultimately it was free.

The primary reason for buying the tune was for rev-match downshifts on the manual transmission (which is awesome to have, by the way). I don't really care about the performance, and the data logging features of the ProCal device itself is a nice-to-have, but not something I need on a daily basis. So at the moment the ProCal is sitting in its box in the garage.

I'm sure automatic transmission owners will notice a LOT more changes thanks to changes in transmission tuning. BUT for those fellow manual transmission owners: It just feels like someone turned the boost up on the turbo. It boosts a lot earlier and a lot higher than it did in the past. Changing the GOAT mode to Eco seems to essentially change the behavior back to what Normal mode was prior to installing the tune.

All-in-all, happy with the purchase. Definitely seems to wake up the 2.3L a little bit, and those rev-matching downshifts... beautiful. 🤩

OP
OP
LethalPerformance

LethalPerformance

Raptor
Squatch Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 First Edtion 2.7L / 2020 Shelby GT500 CF
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Do you expect a 50 state release, including CA?

Jason
At first it will be all 49 states excluding CA until it's gone through Carb approval.

OP
OP
LethalPerformance

LethalPerformance

Raptor
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Definitely care. I'll just stick with a dealership.

Also, appreciate the fast shipping!
Thanks a bunch! Glad you're happy with your purchase. We appreciate your business. 🤟

AutoTerry

Badlands
First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco Badlands, 2022 BMW X5
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Had the Pro Cal Tuner installed by my Ford Dealer, cost was $140, but told me when it is in for service they will check for updates at NC. Performance is great and you can feel the extra torque and it is applied in the key rpm range. My biggest smile came from the shift patterns of the Auto, they are a lot smoother and quicker, that driveability enhancement was well worth the tune. But the kick in the pants of course is the throttle response and extra torque. Loving it!

Sponsored

Lèòn

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
2.3L, manual transmission owner here.

I had the tuned installed by my dealer for warranty reasons. They charged around $300 once you include taxes and whatnot. Do I think it was worth $300?? No... definitely not. It's like a 15-20 minute job, and they charged 2 hours of labor for it, but other dealers in my area were charging similar... so whatever. I ended up paying for it with FordPass points so ultimately it was free.

The primary reason for buying the tune was for rev-match downshifts on the manual transmission (which is awesome to have, by the way). I don't really care about the performance, and the data logging features of the ProCal device itself is a nice-to-have, but not something I need on a daily basis. So at the moment the ProCal is sitting in its box in the garage.

I'm sure automatic transmission owners will notice a LOT more changes thanks to changes in transmission tuning. BUT for those fellow manual transmission owners: It just feels like someone turned the boost up on the turbo. It boosts a lot earlier and a lot higher than it did in the past. Changing the GOAT mode to Eco seems to essentially change the behavior back to what Normal mode was prior to installing the tune.

All-in-all, happy with the purchase. Definitely seems to wake up the 2.3L a little bit, and those rev-matching downshifts... beautiful. 🤩
What's Eco Mode? xD

BT!

Banned
Base
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bud
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
The tune according to FORD will not work on my 2023 model. The said they do not have CARB approval and until they have CARB approval they will not add 2023 VIN numbers to their database. The tune keys off this so when I attempt to load it on my car it just errors out. I sent them screen shots photographs and they verified no 2023's will work with the PROSCAN tune.

OP
OP
LethalPerformance

LethalPerformance

Raptor
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
The tune according to FORD will not work on my 2023 model. The said they do not have CARB approval and until they have CARB approval they will not add 2023 VIN numbers to their database. The tune keys off this so when I attempt to load it on my car it just errors out. I sent them screen shots photographs and they verified no 2023's will work with the PROSCAN tune.
First will be an EO which covers 49 states. Then they'll eventually work towards CARB approval for CA. Once the EO is approved for the 49 states and the calibrations are ready we'll be sure to let everyone know.

Kayphix

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ford Performance Tune gets installed tomorrow by a Ford dealership. I'm excited.

While I don't think the 2.3L is a slouch, I worry about long term drivability when I start adding more weight; rock rails, gear, skid plates) on my Badlands SAS. I'm hoping this tune eases my concerns a bit.

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Ford Performance Tune gets installed tomorrow by a Ford dealership. I'm excited.

While I don't think the 2.3L is a slouch, I worry about long term drivability when I start adding more weight; rock rails, gear, skid plates) on my Badlands SAS. I'm hoping this tune eases my concerns a bit.
it's the same engine used in the ranger pickup that has way higher payload and towing ratings than the bronco.

i'd worry about everything else (especially the electronics).

(that was the one thing i really liked about my old technology land rover (aka NO technology) was that everything was mechanical.

Sponsored
OP
OP
LethalPerformance

LethalPerformance

Raptor
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
I was told today by our Ford Performance rep that they are hoping to have approval for the 2023 models in 2 weeks. Although that's the anticipated timeframe it's not set in stone and can change.

We'll update the thread once we have confirmation of the cals being available for the 2023's.

Bikeric

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1984 4Runner (For Sale)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I installed the ProCal tune on my 2.3L manual last Friday. I took the day off work to do it because IF you need to call Tech. Support they have banker's hours. I called them once for a Login issue and a second time for a general question. Follow the online instructions, such as hooking your battery up to a charger (you will be in and out multiple times and the final install takes about 15 minutes with the truck going through many alarms, resets and general electrical draining processes), and you will be fine.

ProCal 2.3L Tune Review: This thing is worth every penny!! The feel of downshifts now with the Rev-Match feature is phenomenal. The extra power is there all the way down low in 1st gear. It's not like a night and day neck snapping power jump by any means, but it is definitely noticeable on the butt dyno. The engine feels more ready to go from low speed high starts than it was before. What has really shocked me is I now get 2 mpg better fuel economy too.... I did not expect that. I was at 14.1-14.5 mpg before the install and am currently at 16.2 mpg and climbing after the install. Badlands 2-door manual is lifted and has knobby 37" Super Swamper's.

Only disappointment: The ProCal does not shut off if you have it plugged in to your OBDII port. I ran the cable through the dash to make it permanent, as others have mentioned it looks to be made to do. You are required to unplug the unit when you park your vehicle or else risk draining your battery. Don't drill a hole into your A-Pillar like I did.

Edit 02/27/23: The computer relearns itself after the install, so my previously optimistic mpg readings were wrong. I am back to my previous mpg's after a couple of fill-ups and it may continue to drop, I don't know.

Ford Bronco Post your 2.3L Bronco Ford Performance Calibration Tune review oWHCsYP

Ford Bronco Post your 2.3L Bronco Ford Performance Calibration Tune review kWEa8ff

Ford Bronco Post your 2.3L Bronco Ford Performance Calibration Tune review YGozOHk

Last edited:

Kayphix

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I also got my tune installed yesterday on my Badlands 4D SAS. It really opens up this engine I feel. I'm really impressed with the shifting.

Kayphix

Badlands
First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I installed the ProCal tune on my 2.3L manual last Friday. I took the day off work to do it because IF you need to call Tech. Support they have banker's hours. I called them once for a Login issue and a second time for a general question. Follow the online instructions, such as hooking your battery up to a charger (you will be in and out multiple times and the final install takes about 15 minutes with the truck going through many alarms, resets and general electrical draining processes), and you will be fine.

ProCal 2.3L Tune Review: This thing is worth every penny!! The feel of downshifts now with the Rev-Match feature is phenomenal. The extra power is there all the way down low in 1st gear. It's not like a night and day neck snapping power jump by any means, but it is definitely noticeable on the butt dyno. The engine feels more ready to go from low speed high starts than it was before. What has really shocked me is I now get 2 mpg better fuel economy too.... I did not expect that. I was at 14.1-14.5 mpg before the install and am currently at 16.2 mpg and climbing after the install. Badlands 2-door manual is lifted and has knobby 37" Super Swamper's.

Only disappointment: The ProCal does not shut off if you have it plugged in to your OBDII port. I ran the cable through the dash to make it permanent, as others have mentioned it looks to be made to do. You are required to unplug the unit when you park your vehicle or else risk draining your battery. Don't drill a hole into your A-Pillar like I did.

Ford Bronco Post your 2.3L Bronco Ford Performance Calibration Tune review YGozOHk

Oh crap, I leave it plugged in. The dealer just hooked it up on the windshield automatically. Didn't say a word to me about unplugging.

Dmorty217

Black Diamond
First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Camery
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Is this tune self learning if you have other mods? I was told livernois is who wrote the tune but ford still has the encryption to itself until livernois or someone else cracks it. Looking forward to that so we can get some real HP numbers out of these motors
Sponsored