First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Nissan Titan XD
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Since we have reached critical mass with things to analyze and/or complain about, I have a few dumb questions relative to convertible living. I've never owned a convertible vehicle, but I know that some of you are J**p people.

1. What about papers/trash? Every time I open my windows in the truck, a tornado of loose papers or wrappers is stirred up. I guess I just need to be more diligent in stowing stuff... I keep the truck generally clean but stuff blows out of the trash can and out of the side pockets. I wonder if any of you have aby practical suggestions.

2. Wind control. I passed a J**p today on the interstate with the soft top down but the windows up. I feel like that would mitigate some of the wind whipping through so violently but have no experience. What's the best setup to enjoy higher speed top-down driving?
Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Since we have reached critical mass with things to analyze and/or complain about, I have a few dumb questions relative to convertible living. I've never owned a convertible vehicle, but I know that some of you are J**p people.

1. What about papers/trash? Every time I open my windows in the truck, a tornado of loose papers or wrappers is stirred up. I guess I just need to be more diligent in stowing stuff... I keep the truck generally clean but stuff blows out of the trash can and out of the side pockets. I wonder if any of you have aby practical suggestions.

2. Wind control. I passed a J**p today on the interstate with the soft top down but the windows up. I feel like that would mitigate some of the wind whipping through so violently but have no experience. What's the best setup to enjoy higher speed top-down driving?
1) You're going to have stuff blowing around if you have random papers and stuff back there. There's lots of accessories available to secure stuff to the cargo door, seat backs, and everywhere in between.

2) No idea; I've never owned a convertible either. However I assume the windows up would help, but won't eliminate it.

wrbix

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LR Def90, F250 7.3, Caterham 7, LR Series III, etc
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Every vehicle (convertible) is different ..... cannot make any blanket generalizations.

Sean D

Badlands
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW EOS, Jeep Rubicon, Acura RDX, Yamaha Roadstar
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Nothing lose in my convertible to blow around. I sometimes drive with the windows raised on the highway if I'm having a conversation with my wife or listening to music. That cuts a lot of wind and noise from coming into the car.

Sponsored

Rubisquatch

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco Wildrak
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Wait til you drive with the doors AND the roof off. Then you have to be a little creative with how you secure whatever is not heavy. You even try to open the armrest or glove box at speed and things can fly out. Bonus is, most of the junk/dirt in your foot wells blows away.

Last edited:

Squatch

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
1. If you wanna go topless, it's always worse when there are loose, wrinkled bits flying about. Same for driving a converible.

2. They're all different and some of the ride videos seem to suggest conversations will be possible, but never count on it.

Ya, Forgot to strap my X-wife in my convertible, and she blew away :unsure:.
I should've done that, but I guess hindsight is 20/20.

rgwinn

First Edition
First Name
Rod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘62 Vette
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
Clubs

Well, I can tell you that you won’t have to worry about cleaning out gum wrappers or napkins when you park. They will all be gone.

with the Shelby, I sometimes drive in the cool mornings with the top down, windows up and heater on. It’s doable.

The wrangler, like the Bronco, had the two removable panels, with just those off its like driving with an open sunroof. So, yes driving with the top off is a bit of a challenge and you do have to worry about loose papers, but it’s manageable. And I learned to live with it.
Ford Bronco Practical convertible questions... 2D3D7E6A-C220-4CDE-9FB2-FD5A4AA3FFF4

Ford Bronco Practical convertible questions... CF24073F-BA71-43EA-87C7-B2BB4488F0E6

rmc523

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2009 Ford Flex; 2018 Mustang GT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

So I have experience with a Mustang convertible to shed some light onto your concerns. obviously Bronco will be different, and will depend if you have the back part on or not I'm sure.

Anyway...

1) Loose papers with the top and windows down are as good as gone. At least they are in the Mustang. They're ok in the passenger footwell with something weighing them down. With the Bronco's taller doors (vs. Mustang), I suppose it's possible papers might stay in the footwell areas, but won't know until I experience it. I'd venture to guess windows up and top down, they'd probably be ok in the passenger footwell.

2) Yes, windows up/top down DOES help with wind control/whipping. Back seat passengers in the 4 door may have more wind to deal with from up top than a usual convertible, though, with the large opening up top and overall length of the cabin compared to a usual convertible.

Sponsored

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
For what its worth in Ohio I was known to drive my CJs with no doors, no top, and the windshield down in winter. The windshield was down because the defrosters couldnt keep it clear enough. Just get a ski mask and a nice thick denim coat. As for your trash, stop and enjoy your meal at McDs and leave your trash where you buy it.

Blitzjb

Banned
Outer Banks
Banned
Banned
First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

I have only had convertibles for the past 12 years. I can’t imagine having a fixed roof car.

BR0NCO

Raptor
First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Audi
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
#2 is why the novelty of taking the doors off my Jeep lasted one summer. I still take them off occasionally but not every opportunity like I used to

ramblinwreck

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
`22 Wildtrak, '21 Wrangler Rubicon 4xe
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak

1. You are going to need to keep in clean. Trash is gonna blow out.

2. Top off, windows up is much less windy on the interior than with windows down. Most of the wind disturbance is actually in the backseat area, so you might be surprised at how non-violent the wind in the front seats is with the top off.

Over time, I actually learned to prefer top on and doors off. Doors off is pretty fun to me, almost like a motorcycle. Top on keeps the sun off of you and rain showers are no big deal.
Sponsored