Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fords and a Jeep
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Many good points here.

Well over a year ago I hit up Granger to order one, and was told it would be a while. The wait continued, and then all the order constraints and outright unavailability of certain things reared their heads, as well as seemingly constant price increases. We won't get into ADMs, like many others I'll never pay one so there's that. Still waiting to order the 2-door I want with the options I want, and not sure when it might happen.

As such, as a placeholder I ordered up a 2-door Rubi ragtop from Granger (the least I could do given how much I've pestered their people) in late winter and had it within six weeks. Ford isn't new to the automaker game, so I really question what is going on there.

I'm not sure demand will flatline, but I have to believe it will drop off. The market for these things, especially 2-doors, can't be unlimited after all. Still waiting, that Bronco would look cool in my shop with the other Ford products residing there, but I am liking the JL very much....
Sponsored

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Incredible to think about, but my analysis of Ford's own data indicates that they'll sell somewhere between 109 and 111K Broncos in the U.S. in 2023, compared to 117.1K units last year.

That's as much as 8K fewer units YoY, even though production has pretty much stabilized.

Although commodities remain a problem this isn't a production or availability problem. The units are there. The buyers, increasingly, are not.

Take a look at my analysis and let me know what I've missed or misconstrued. Here's the Google Sheet with the data and check out the May 2023 analysis tab to see my crude model.

There may be silver lining for some of the B6G members who have been waiting a long time: If the demand is softening and--as long as commodities are available--perhaps Ford will shift effort toward pre-ordered vehicles and away from the lot stock, Big Bend, mid, 4 dr softies that I believe they've been prioritizing.

My analysis of the May 2023 production and sales figures is over here.
I think you're right about demand softening. But long term Bronco sales will always be benchmarked against Wrangler sales. If you told the C-Suite at Ford the Bronco would sniff anything near a 1:1 parity with the Wrangler, that'd be a smash hit.

Ford Bronco Prediction: Ford US Bronco Sales Will Flatline in 2023 1686251306274

OP
OP
markpilip

markpilip

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
It's almost as if a whole shitload of people had an opportunity to stockpile cash for 18-24 months and dropped their wads on toys near the end and now don't really need anything. I wonder what caused that?
A lot of businesses, including the one that I was running at the time, saw a big blip up from baseline during the pandemic.

Others, e.g. travel, which I also had a big hand in, saw a big blip down from baseline.

However the net change in economic activity, per US commerce, was basically flat. It was just share-shifted from certain classes of goods to others. Happens all the time, when you look at the historical data. Nothing particularly odd.

OP
OP
markpilip

markpilip

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I think you're right about demand softening. But long term Bronco sales will always be benchmarked against Wrangler sales. If you told the C-Suite at Ford the Bronco would sniff anything near a 1:1 parity with the Wrangler, that'd be a smash hit.

Ford Bronco Prediction: Ford US Bronco Sales Will Flatline in 2023 1686251306274
Oh yeah, they'd love parity with Jeep. But right now, Ford's back somewhere in 2011-2012 with regard to Jeep.

OP
OP
markpilip

markpilip

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Bronco OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
The buyers are there but not with the huge ADM on top of the price increases Ford has made.
ADM dropping, at least here in VA. Seeing $3K-ish, unless it's something really in high demand.

Should be zero, I agree, but as the stocks build it'll come down and anybody will be able to buy off the lot at sticker.

My Ford dealer was pushing 0%/36 mo and 1.9%/72 mo Ford Credit on Escapes and Edges the other day, which I was surprised to see.

Sponsored

Canyon Coolers

Wildtrak
Base Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Website
canyoncoolers.com
Vehicle(s)
73 Bronco, Dodge 2500, Sprinter Van
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Take a look at the model and the notes. I'm pretty sure it's a flatline at best this year, and will probably be a dip.

I updated the analysis tab in the model to comment on the formulae used to predict both production and sales numbers.

Granted, it's crude, but I think flatline would actually be a big win for Ford.
Economic trends aside, the hard core enthusiast is taken care of this year. There are still some potential gains with the more casual consumer that has been largely locked out of what is a hot market for them. So if your off, I would guess your off to the downside, like most economists usually are.

I could see small gains. I think Ford's best play, for actual profits, might be more with Bronco Raptors, and satisfy the demand for that unicorn, which is still unknown. Keep the enthusiasts engaged with some low volume specialty stuff. I would expect actual depreciation to happen and a market that more resembles business as usual.

The New Tacoma will shore up their customer base, specialty Jeep editions will help them, but their core product may still be ripe for poaching market share. I also think the Bronco product slots nicely between a Jeep and a Four Runner, So there may be some Four Runner market share to pick off still.

djnemo

Outer Banks
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mini Countryman JCW
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Non-story here - Bronco is selling over 100k a year - that sounds pretty good! Doubtful it will ever approach Jeep Wrangler territory - probably settle in at between 100-125k a year for the next 5 years.

60sIron

Badlands
First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thunderbird
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Car makers have a target production volume with a narrow +/- band around that. You can't judge demand for a vehicle based on raw sales numbers increasing or decreasing as much as inventory levels and incentive spend. i.e. are there a lot of them sitting on the lot until they lay cash on the hood to move the metal. Sales can be flat, but demand might still be strong

Rusty Sheckelford

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Rusty
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
The units are there. The buyers, increasingly, are not.
No...they're not. My local dealer doesn't have a single 2 door bronco for sale. Aren't hardtops and manual still a constraint too? I can't even order the heritage trim I would like if I was to special order.

I literally can't get a real bronco right now.

Bronco Dad

Heritage
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Ford Fusion Hybrid, 2022 Ford Expedition
Your Bronco Model
Heritage
As someone with a Bronco HE on order, I dont think they've solved their production issues. Originally schedule for 3/27, but now 7/24. What I do see, driving by many Ford dealers over the past few weeks. Tons of vehicles on lots, but very few to no Broncos. F150 and Explorers galore, but no Broncos. While sales may not be as strong, I'm not so sure it's a demand issue quite yet.

Sponsored

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Does that include Gladiator as well?

Hossfire

Wildtrak
First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'06 Jeep Commander
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Bronco definitely had pent up demand. It will be interesting to see what the first refresh model year offers. I bet that the interior will get a significant upgrade. More tire/wheel options. Diesel and hybrid engine options.

GoTigersGoBronco

Badlands
First Name
Zachary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Bronco sales flat lined in 2022. It is not a product that will ever be a huge seller. Ford will finish 2023 roughly where they were in 2022.

Ranger+Bronco is capacity limited and they're not building any more ICE capacity anytime soon.

BroncMe

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMWs
Your Bronco Model
Base
I'm on the board of an automotive data analytics company, making this thread a curiosity.

As a day two order who got a 2022 at price-protected MSRP, I'm thrilled with the Bronco's value and open-top, trail-friendly fun factor, echoed by literally everybody in my circle, including many jeep enthusiasts. It's stunning at $45K. Go price a Defender or even a Telluride unibody and compare the whole picture including the fun factor. So far away different.

Further, I'm a Toyota loyalist and the 4Runner didn't stack up either. The new Tundra/Sequoia platform is barely better, and I suspect the next 4Runner (same base global platform) might be similarly hamstrung. They've gotten lazy.

So is my happiness with the Bronco is evidence of a niche-market thinking?

Absolutely.

But who honestly cares about whether Ford sells 100K or 200K?

Like so many other threads on this forum, we should just be having more fun. :cool:
Sponsored

Last edited: