Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68&69 Broncos, 21 AMB Base 2dr, 23 VB BL 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey all, I've looked here, and did not find a discussion on this, I also may have missed it. In which case, my apologies.
And this is a legit question I have. I'm not trolling or trying to cause trouble. I am interested in buying (either a '21 or '22 Bronco)
I just wanna make sure I'm not missing something.

Anyway, it's concerning the "value" I guess of the different models. (I will discount the 1st edition, since it's not really avail anyways)
As I understand it, there is nothing drastically different from one to another, besides the obvious Outer Banks & Wildtrack which include a Auto Tranny & V6 prospectively. And the Badlands (which has the "sasquatch pkg minus the 35" tires).

I guess what I mean is the brakes, & suspension (on most but the two prev mentioned) are all the same.
Different models offer different seating covers and option pkgs (mid/hi/lux) and ext color options, I get that.
But the $3-$5k increase in price, in a lot of the choices, doesn't seem like a very good "value", or is it just me?
There's the seat options, but $1800-$2400 at Katzkin solves that. (Leather is an additional upgrade on the models where avail. And at $2100, that seems to be a reasonable price to me)

For ex, For $5k over the base, the Big Bend pretty much gets you tires,wheels, heated seats and more avail options/few more colors.
Doesn't really look like you'r getting any credit back for NOT taking the base tires & wheels.

Seems to me the Sasquatch package (even on the base) is the best value by a mega-mile. Beefier axles w/lockers, proper gears, upgraded suspension, 35" tires & wheels for $5k. Those (esp the axles) are some serious upgrades for the $$$
That same $5k doesn't seem to nearly buy the same in model upgrades, such as my prev example with the B & BB models). Is it just me?

Even on the Badlands, the MT tires are a $700 upgrade over the AT. Isn't Ford considering your "credit" for not taking the AT tires? And as it currently sits, you also need to upgrade the wheels to get the 33" MT tires as well, which changes it to $1690.

I mean, I love the Badlands, but at $14,000 over a base model, I dunno. I can do a hell of a lot of modding for $14k.

I don't really want to take a base model w/squatch pkg (the only reason I would is for the lockers and axles / ratio), but so far, Ford hasn't made the other models appealing enough for the extra $$.
Please enlighten me. :)
Only thing I see wrong is that BIG Bend does NOT come with heated seats unless you get the Mid package...I think....
therefore it is a $5000 upcharge to get the OPTION to additionaly purchase the $1500 (?) Midpackage that includes the heated seats etc.

So, if you want heated seats, it will cost you about $7k from a Base ....or $300 aftermarket.

So , yeah, I'm a BaseSquatch man myself ... I can load it up and still be at or under$40k.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Yota85

Yota85

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 SR5 Taco 4x4 Xtracab, 2006 Jeep TJ
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I do really love the Orange stitching in the seats on the Badlands w/Cyber Orange, (I also really like the auto frt disco as well, but my guess is that'll prob break and not work someday :( ). Not sure if I'm ready to pony up $14k for that.
Or the blue seat stitching with the Blk Diamond (with any color ext really, A51, Blue, Cactus, Charcoal). May be more willing to be sucked up the upgrade ladder for this though.

I'll have to have a chat with Katzkin Leather to see how close they could come to that factory look. :)

Last edited:

CanadianFord

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Ford Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
I have to hand it to Ford though, as you can upgrade a Base or BB or BD to the proper axles and gears. That is true NOWHERE else.
A Jeep Wrangler X, SE or Sport will NEVER have 4.11 gears with a Dana 44 front & rear, with lockers. Unless you pull ones off of a Rubicon in a junkyard. They will always have inferior gearing and axles for 35" tires (or even 33"). Not true with the Bronco. Installing gears and lockers is rather expensive (not to mention the upgraded axles..... D44's with lockers are around $4k ea), hence WELL WORTH the $5790 on the website (prob be less, as that upgrades you to the 10-sp auto, which we now know you don't need with the Sasquatch pkg)
I'm not crazy about the tires & wheels, but those could easily be sold on Craigslist (for someone else to upgrade their ride with 4.46 gears) to get something I would like. The hard part (Axles & lockers) is done. I like the standard fender flairs though. (Tires I'd chose would prob be 305/70/18)
On my B&,P when you add the rear lockers etc to a base, it makes you add the Sasquatch.
Is there a way to get a rear locker on my base without getting Sasquatch?

OP
OP
Yota85

Yota85

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
You’re pretty much spot on. Base/2.7/SQ is a tremendous value. You get all the capability of the top level off-road trim (BL/WT or Rubicon in the Jeep world) with none of the baked-in price increases.

For people that really want some of the higher level comforts, they have to pay for the incremental trim price increase as well as the package cost once you get to that trim (OBX notwithstanding). This has always kept me away from Rubicons because I don’t want to pay for baked in comfort and tech features that I don’t want.

Edit: things like SQ on a base model and 2.7 or 2.3/MT will mean a lot for resale down the road which further complicates the trim debate. I don’t think it will be like Jeep where the 2 gasoline engine choices are different flavors of the same turd so engine choice doesn’t matter as much (Diesel not included).
Yup. I don't know about anyone else here, but I have absolutely ZERO interest in the Mid or Lux packages. I like adding the ambient footwell lighting, but that's easy to do aftermarket as well. I guess it's avail as a ala cart add on, not sure. But most of the other stuff seems unnecessary and just stuff that wont work in 10 yrs. :)
Sorry. Starting to sound like my dad, who had a similar '68 Bronco in my profile (that I remember very fondly) that said that about power winders, door locks and the like. (His Bronco had individually controlled vacuum wipers :) )

OP
OP
Yota85

Yota85

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Only thing I see wrong is that BIG Bend does NOT come with heated seats unless you get the Mid package...I think....
therefore it is a $5000 upcharge to get the OPTION to additionaly purchase the $1500 (?) Midpackage that includes the heated seats etc.

So, if you want heated seats, it will cost you about $7k from a Base ....or $300 aftermarket.

So , yeah, I'm a BaseSquatch man myself ... I can load it up and still be at or under$40k.
Heh. No interest in heated seats. Seasonal Vehicle :)

Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP
Yota85

Yota85

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
On my B&,P when you add the rear lockers etc to a base, it makes you add the Sasquatch.
Is there a way to get a rear locker on my base without getting Sasquatch?
I think you are correct. Same here. It can be added to the Big Bend for $495 tho. With installation, that seems (better than) fair.

AzScorpion

Badlands
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew Lariat 4x4
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I think you are correct. Same here. It can be added to the Big Bend for $495 tho. With installation, that seems (better than) fair.
But you have to include the $5,000 more you're paying for the BB so in reality it's a $5495 uncharge for the rear locker. Now if you go Base SAS you get this and a whole lot more for your money. :)

Btw where in W Mass are you from? I grew up in Wilbraham and lived in Monson.

Ryslegit

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Bronco Badlands Sas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

No, but $1000 for a wheel upgrade is a little steep.
No it's not, aftermarket 17" wheels on average cost $200-$250 per.... If the upgraded wheels are forged then $1k for 5 is a deal. Forged can run $1k PER wheel...just saying.

Tdubz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
No it's not, aftermarket 17" wheels on average cost $200-$250 per.... If the upgraded wheels are forged then $1k for 5 is a deal. Forged can run $1k PER wheel...just saying.
I agree. $995 has been the wheel upgrade price on ford vehicles for about as long as I can remember so I guess it seems normal to me. I was browsing the Honda website the other day and it’s $2k+ for their optional wheels.

Blksn955.o

Badlands
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 Ford Escape Ti, 94 Ford Mustang GT, 21 BL
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Not to mention they are beadlock capable/hybrid style wheels too. I dont like that the non-quatch badland upgraded wheels are only 17x8. Might pick up a set of take off/used Sasquatch rims or look at some aftermarket (really dig the RRW raptor911 posted a little bit ago). 100% happy with the std BL rims and will rock them for a while...just would be nice to fit a 12.5 width tire so maybe next set of tires.

Sponsored

tyrobronco

Badlands
First Name
CC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco,2017 Ford Fusion Energi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Hey all, I've looked here, and did not find a discussion on this, I also may have missed it. In which case, my apologies.
And this is a legit question I have. I'm not trolling or trying to cause trouble. I am interested in buying (either a '21 or '22 Bronco)
I just wanna make sure I'm not missing something.

Anyway, it's concerning the "value" I guess of the different models. (I will discount the 1st edition, since it's not really avail anyways)
As I understand it, there is nothing drastically different from one to another, besides the obvious Outer Banks & Wildtrack which include a Auto Tranny & V6 prospectively. And the Badlands (which has the "sasquatch pkg minus the 35" tires).

I guess what I mean is the brakes, & suspension (on most but the two prev mentioned) are all the same.
Different models offer different seating covers and option pkgs (mid/hi/lux) and ext color options, I get that.
But the $3-$5k increase in price, in a lot of the choices, doesn't seem like a very good "value", or is it just me?
There's the seat options, but $1800-$2400 at Katzkin solves that. (Leather is an additional upgrade on the models where avail. And at $2100, that seems to be a reasonable price to me)

For ex, For $5k over the base, the Big Bend pretty much gets you tires,wheels, heated seats and more avail options/few more colors.
Doesn't really look like you'r getting any credit back for NOT taking the base tires & wheels.

Seems to me the Sasquatch package (even on the base) is the best value by a mega-mile. Beefier axles w/lockers, proper gears, upgraded suspension, 35" tires & wheels for $5k. Those (esp the axles) are some serious upgrades for the $$$
That same $5k doesn't seem to nearly buy the same in model upgrades, such as my prev example with the B & BB models). Is it just me?

Even on the Badlands, the MT tires are a $700 upgrade over the AT. Isn't Ford considering your "credit" for not taking the AT tires? And as it currently sits, you also need to upgrade the wheels to get the 33" MT tires as well, which changes it to $1690.

I mean, I love the Badlands, but at $14,000 over a base model, I dunno. I can do a hell of a lot of modding for $14k.

I don't really want to take a base model w/squatch pkg (the only reason I would is for the lockers and axles / ratio), but so far, Ford hasn't made the other models appealing enough for the extra $$.
Please enlighten me. :)
If you are really looking for value, this is easy. In 2023 you will find some broncos with around 15-45,000 miles on them.

Check those out and buy one of them. That is the only right answer for "value".

FLSTFI Dave

Raptor
First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Grand Sport, Carbon 65, 2017 F-150
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Yep, first and second year new vehicles depreciation a whole lot.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

If you are really looking for value, this is easy. In 2023 you will find some broncos with around 15-45,000 miles on them.

Check those out and buy one of them. That is the only right answer for "value".
I'll go out on a limb and GUESS (with much confidence) that Broncos will be still on the rare side at that point, thus those few used ones will only be $2/3 less than a new one ...similar to Tacomas/4Runners. Maybe 4k less for the 45k mile one in the given example.

There's no value in that , in my opinion, not to mention the 2 or 3 years wasted ...possibly 4 years from today really, if you really want a Bronco.

Therefore, your "only right answer" is quite wrong. ( ;) tongue in cheek humor)

tyrobronco

Badlands
First Name
CC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco,2017 Ford Fusion Energi
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'll go out on a limb and GUESS (with much confidence) that Broncos will be still on the rare side at that point, thus those few used ones will only be $2/3 less than a new one ...similar to Tacomas/4Runners. Maybe 4k less for the 45k mile one in the given example.

There's no value in that , in my opinion, not to mention the 2 or 3 years wasted ...possibly 4 years from today really, if you really want a Bronco.

Therefore, your "only right answer" is quite wrong. ( ;) tongue in cheek humor)
Can't disagree with that logic. :p

My Bronco is only an investment in life which I expect a good return on.

HoosierDaddy

Badlands
First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My Bronco is only an investment in life which I expect a good return on.
Whoa whoa whoa .....way....WAAY to deep for this forum!

awesome though, thanks for sharing!
Sponsored