Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley Davidson FLTRUSE
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

After 5-10 minutes of driving in deep sand, it feels like I’m dragging an anchor behind me.
I’ve tried every drive mode, put it in 4wd low etc.
I get the “doom lights” advance trac disabled, drive modes disabled etc
I’ve manually shut traction control off and advanced trac by manually holding it down.
It’s like the parking brake stays on.
anyone else have this?
My 2-door Sasquatch Badlands 2.3 w manual trans has zero issues in sand. Rear lockers on, 4H, tires at 17. It happily cruises with 4 passengers and luggage across soft beach sand at OBX. I didn’t think to bring an anchor I guess.

Best wishes in sorting your rig out.
Sponsored

OP
OP
JaredWilm28401

JaredWilm28401

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
My 2-door Sasquatch Badlands 2.3 w manual trans has zero issues in sand. Rear lockers on, 4H, tires at 17. It happily cruises with 4 passengers and luggage across soft beach sand at OBX. I didn’t think to bring an anchor I guess.

Best wishes in sorting your rig out.
Interesting. That makes me think that the sas pack upgrades some cooling systems
Thank you for the reply

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I find it strange to have issues in sand. I have spent much time in older part time 4 X 4's with no advanced systems, etc. Just 4 X 4 and locking hubs in all kinds of beach sand- trails, hill climbs even with no issues at all. Manual transmission. Airing down to about 12 LBS and smoother tread tires worked best. I would think that the Bronco would not have any issues in the sand at all......

OP
OP
JaredWilm28401

JaredWilm28401

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
I find it strange to have issues in sand. I have spent much time in older part time 4 X 4's with no advanced systems, etc. Just 4 X 4 and locking hubs in all kinds of beach sand- trails, hill climbs even with no issues at all. Manual transmission. Airing down to about 12 LBS and smoother tread tires worked best. I would think that the Bronco would not have any issues in the sand at all......
I keep going back and forth. You’re right, it shouldn’t have an issue on flat ground. As I posted earlier, I feel like it has to do with one of the drivers assistant systems freaking out. I’d hate to think a 23; albeit base bronco, would have any issues at all. It’s frustrating I’ll say that.

JT58Bronc

Base
First Name
JT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco, 2021 Miata track Edition
Your Bronco Model
Base
I keep going back and forth. You’re right, it shouldn’t have an issue on flat ground. As I posted earlier, I feel like it has to do with one of the drivers assistant systems freaking out. I’d hate to think a 23; albeit base bronco, would have any issues at all. It’s frustrating I’ll say that.
I love my Basesquatch but all of the systems, electronics, etc. have me concerned about reliability.

Being old school and establishing 4 wheeling roots in the late 70's and early 80's with the very simple 4 X 4's back then, they were all so simple, reliable and easy to work on. They worked so great on the trails too- never had a problem with Jeeps, Broncos, Blazers, etc.

With my Bronco I have a 1987 Chevy V10 4 X 4 regular cab short box. Solid front axle, leaf springs all around- all stock. It is so freaking simple and basic compared to the Bronco and so easy to work on. Basic part time 4 X 4, locking hubs, lever actuated transfer case, manual transmission with granny first gear, front driveshaft that does not spin unless the hubs are locked. And grease fittings everywhere. Built like a tank to last forever. I take it 4 wheeling and to car shows. If only the Bronco was that simple......

Sponsored

jryanpalm

Badlands
First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I run my 22 Bronco (Badlands SAS, 2.7) all summer at Silver Lake Sand Dunes without issue. Take the tires down to 12-15 due to the very soft sand there and run in Baja mode. Flat beach running should not be an issue for the Bronco. Hope you get it figured out.

George Ellis

Badlands
First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F-350 DRW CC
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

You can add the additional GOAT modes through Forscan. To use Forscan, you need an OBD-II module. So you could see if you are getting codes live if you get a Bluetooth OBD-II scanner. Forscan is discussed elsewhere in the forums.

It was mentioned, but you are running a 2.3l Turbo 4, are you keeping the revs up? You should be up around 3-4 grand in this situation from how I am reading it. Max torque is at 3500 rpms. Don't be afraid of the revs, this is not a push rod or diesel you are running.

prospectfour

Outer Banks
First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 Bronco, '18 Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I love my Basesquatch but all of the systems, electronics, etc. have me concerned about reliability.

Being old school and establishing 4 wheeling roots in the late 70's and early 80's with the very simple 4 X 4's back then, they were all so simple, reliable and easy to work on. They worked so great on the trails too- never had a problem with Jeeps, Broncos, Blazers, etc.

With my Bronco I have a 1987 Chevy V10 4 X 4 regular cab short box. Solid front axle, leaf springs all around- all stock. It is so freaking simple and basic compared to the Bronco and so easy to work on. Basic part time 4 X 4, locking hubs, lever actuated transfer case, manual transmission with granny first gear, front driveshaft that does not spin unless the hubs are locked. And grease fittings everywhere. Built like a tank to last forever. I take it 4 wheeling and to car shows. If only the Bronco was that simple......
Combination of federal regulations and consumer preferences will never allow for such a stripped down vehicle in 2023.

I think there’s going to be a huge market for the last of the “unconnected” cars of the 90’s and 2000’s. Otherwise if you want simplicity buy an old ATV 😂

Jazer

Outer Banks
First Name
Jessica
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2.7 OBX
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

This is unusual sounding. So it drives fine, no lights, then after a few minutes you get a sudden change and then the lights pop up?

I've had beach days with my Bronco friends at Fort Fisher (pretty deep soft sand out there) all but one of us on 3.73 gears w/no lockers.. one of which has 37s & a 2.3 and she bombs through the sand easier than all of us, lol.. so it's not the physical combination of your setup, unless it's something with the manual trans. We drove the whole distance of the beach which is quite long with noone experiencing anything like you are describing.

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Get a temp gun and check your hubs. If your brakes are getting engaged for whatever reason, you should find the hub temps to be much higher than normal.

Especially if it is the rear brakes... You can compare the front to the rear.

I do not recommend touching them...they can be 300+ degrees

Sponsored

Donkeygyrl

Base
First Name
Sheri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Bronco on order
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

Yup I have been here since the first day ,there were members saying I'm getting the bronco to pass down to my grandkids ..then the pics of the engine bay popped up . Its not the old days enjoy this one now ,it is just too tech heavy to be reliable in my opinion I hope I'm wrong.

Broncotrax

Badlands
First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
69 Bronco, '17 Superduity, '22 Badsquatch, CR 250R
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I believe you have a sensor or control module issue. At certain steering wheel angles and speeds it wants to control it's perceived emanate crash so cuts power and applies braking to certain wheels. This may explain the dash warning lights as well as the boat anchor feeling.
My JK Rubicon did this often even on the streets if I was turning and one rear wheel spun in a wet spot from someone sprinkler system runoff. I would get the lights, decreased power and hear the brake controller trying to control the spinning wheel.
Same concept I believe. Good luck brother.

OP
OP
JaredWilm28401

JaredWilm28401

Base
First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Base
You can add the additional GOAT modes through Forscan. To use Forscan, you need an OBD-II module. So you could see if you are getting codes live if you get a Bluetooth OBD-II scanner. Forscan is discussed elsewhere in the forums.

It was mentioned, but you are running a 2.3l Turbo 4, are you keeping the revs up? You should be up around 3-4 grand in this situation from how I am reading it. Max torque is at 3500 rpms. Don't be afraid of the revs, this is not a push rod or diesel you are running.
Copy that. I do have forscan (haven’t used it yet). I’m going to check my wheel speed sensors and take it back out in the beach this weekend. Thank you for the advise it’s much appreciated!

Greg2060

Outer Banks
First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
I can't offer any insight as to your problem but out of curiosity what beach do you go to, Fort Fisher?
My OBX is scheduled for production next month and once I get it Fort Fisher will be my first destination.

GToddC5

Badlands
First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 1971 Toyota FJ40, 1998 Corvette 'vert
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

OP - I get a similar issue on the street (and it might very well be the same issue) all the time, and especially after OTA updates. Any loss of traction and it goes into full tilt limp mode. It's so annoying that it keeps me from wanting to even go off road, if it can't even handle quick acceleration from a stop through a turn, for example. It's not picky on when it might happen, either. It happens with or without my Sprint Booster enabled. It's happened in 2WD dry roads eco, normal, etc. It's happened in 4A slippery when in torrential rain or in snow. I'll get a few days of a week's time after an update where it just acts stupid with the tiniest bit of traction lost. I have to shut down, fake getting out, count 30 seconds after lights dim out, fake getting back in, start up and back to normal. I have none of the grinding noises either. One minute it runs like a raped ape with Sprint Booster in Sport mode and tires can even break loose, the next minute (usually after an update) it will go into limp mode turning out of my freakin' driveway on a damp road. I have noticed it is usually cold outdoor and engine temps when this happens, but it's not exclusive during my 15 months of ownership.

The next time it happens to you, do the reset I described and see if it goes back to normal until the next limp mode engages. If you take yours in, I'd love to hear back if they were able to recreate the issue and what they think it could be.
Sponsored