Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Base
EWWWWWWWWWWWW.
WHY?
NVH is what the bronco was built for. choppy tires, open roof, etc
Trust me. Cables will be fine. Go test drive a modern front wheel drive car with a manual. You will be surprised. It might sound like a bad idea but it's not.
Sponsored

Dads_bronze_bronco

Raptor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 JKUR / x_x 00 TJ x_x
Your Bronco Model
Raptor
Clubs

The new Aisin 6 speed in the JL/JLU/JT is cable actuated. I have heard that it shifts better than the NSG370 in the JKs and I've heard it shifts worse. I quite enjoyed my NSG370 equipped 2012 JK. I eventually put a B&M Sport shifter in it.

I hope that the MT-88 in the Bronco has decent shift feel. I have an older Kia Forte with a 5 speed manual. It sucks lol. I've replaced the worn rubber cable bushings with delrin bushings, removed the clutch delay valve and installed a short shifter all in an attempt to improve the shifting quality. It still sucks.
My '08 would pop out of 3rd gear on washboard roads, so I swapped in just the B&M shift lever and the problem stopped. The stock lever had rubber that let it wobble with road vibrations, and was bent down (toward the driver) which put downward pressure on the lever when in 1, 3, or 5. The B&M lever has a stiffer base and is bent up. I would do the B&M shifter too, but I am saving my money for a Bronco.

I think they intentionally swapped to cable on the JLs because of the offroad shaking / popping out of gear problem on the JK.

I am trying really hard to stay SFW.

Werkedperformance

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Badlands 4dr 7MT
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Trust me. Cables will be fine. Go test drive a modern front wheel drive car with a manual. You will be surprised. It might sound like a bad idea but it's not.
It certainly isn't a good idea either.

Porsches feel great until the cable blows off the ball and leaves you stuck.
They also stretch and feel like ass.
Unnecessary weakness. That is all.

wolfpackinva

Black Diamond
First Name
Santiago
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Focus, '08 E350, '13 Tundra
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
So my 16 Focus would have a cable manual? I love it and it has 159k miles on it.

crowdpleazer

Base
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger, Honda Civic
Your Bronco Model
Base

My 14 Civic SI feels great. Has one of the best feeling shifts I've ever driven and I've driven cars from pretty much every era and some racecars. All I'm saying is don't knock it till you try it.

Sponsored

Garbone

Big Bend
First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1962 C10, 21 Mustang, 12 Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
It isn't really a proper manual transmission unless 1st gear isn't synchronized and you're using shifting from the tree instead of the floor.

Shift by cable sounds silly, but has a few advantages. I still prefer unsynchronized transmissions for the challenge and joy of getting a smooth engagement that one time.
Heck ya, my 3 on the tree rocks. Lost a jesus clip and had to use an electrical tape wrap to get her home. Great fun on a Florida August afternoon, under the hood wrapping a shift linkage right next to the exhaust manifold working around the brake booster...

Need to teach the wife to drive that truck.....

Potatomafia

Base
First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2010 Chevy Tahoe PPV
Your Bronco Model
Base
Clubs

My '08 would pop out of 3rd gear on washboard roads, so I swapped in just the B&M shift lever and the problem stopped. The stock lever had rubber that let it wobble with road vibrations, and was bent down (toward the driver) which put downward pressure on the lever when in 1, 3, or 5. The B&M lever has a stiffer base and is bent up. I would do the B&M shifter too, but I am saving my money for a Bronco.

I think they intentionally swapped to cable on the JLs because of the offroad shaking / popping out of gear problem on the JK.

I am trying really hard to stay SFW.
Yeah, I remember the TSB for the rubber shifter boot. Basically, the rubber was too stiff and put pressure on the stick which would cause it to pop out of gear, especially when it was cold.

My '12 only had that problem if it was extremely cold, which didn't present itself until I moved from Florida to Idaho.

When I first had my Wrangler, I was startled at how much the shifter stick would bounce around. I thought something was very wrong. One day on my way to work, I hit an extremely rough patch of pavement and the shift knob bashed into a knuckle on my right hand and broke it open.

I came from the Mustang world and installed a few Pro 5.0 and Steeda Tri-Ax shifters in my cars. I didn't think a shifter was supposed to move that much but it was completely normal for the NSG370.

I bought the B&M shifter and shift handle right after it was released. It was not cheap but it completely changed how my Jeep shifted.

Personally, I'd trade some NVH for a more direct shift feel. It's an off-road lifestyle vehicle, not a posh CUV.

Benzo

Badlands
First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
too many to list
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I loved the positive shifter feel in my Carrera 4 and I was very surprised to learn it used cables. The cables did not stretch but one time the lower cross brace got bent from a freak accident and the shifter lost all ability to shift into a gear. Yes, I got stranded. I really doubt that Ford would have a low brace that the cables would rely on for shifting.

Ricepuddin

Badlands
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 BMW 340i and 1998 bmw m3
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

My 14 Civic SI feels great. Has one of the best feeling shifts I've ever driven and I've driven cars from pretty much every era and some racecars. All I'm saying is don't knock it till you try it.
Honda had some of the best feeling shifters on the market

Sponsored

BearWithMe

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Tacoma 6MT
Your Bronco Model
Base
My gf has just such a car with a manual transmission. It's incredibly easy to shift, kind of fun, but there's a lack of sensation and heft. It feels very distant and remote.

My old WRX had a direct linkage, with the stick emerging from the transmission located immediately beneath the center console. Huge difference. A joy to shift. That thing felt direct.

I believe my Tacoma is also a direct linkage, and while it's not as slick as the WRX transmission, it gets the job done. Not a fan of the left-and-up reverse gear though. Too easy to grab reverse when you're aiming for first.

Last edited:

3Dogs

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Escape, 2000 F150
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How does a cable linkage work?
Are there three separate cables?
I've only worked on direct linkages.

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just remember, this is the Mustang of the Trails, and because of that, they'll have a direct shift conversion or 6spd capable of handling a Coyote swap in no time

Rogues Gambit

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ram Rebel, '07 A4 Quattro
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just waiting for someone to correct me with "BARRA SWAP!!!"

BrentC

Badlands
First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 Sport, 2021 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
How does a cable linkage work?
Are there three separate cables?
I've only worked on direct linkages.
My Focus ST had a very clever linkage that ended with one cable to the transmission.

I found the OEM shifting akin to rowing a boat so I replaced the shift linkages at both the transmission and the shifter. Once I added a heavy counterweighted shift knob to balance the added forced needed due to the shorter linkages, the shifting feel transformed to solid, direct-connected-feeling short throws. I only had to do a slight wrist twist for all 6 gears.

If the shifting is not to my liking with the Bronco, I’m sure there will be many A/M products out there in short order to make it to your liking.
Sponsored