Trustable

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Ford Focus se
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
Clubs

I am confused and new to a topless vehicle, are people opposed to a rack? All things go on the rack in the FJ, but it's top doesn't remove, so maybe that is the reason, also it holds more.

But I will still have a rack on this truck. They seem pretty easy to take on and off, you can still remove at least the first two panels with it on and it will easily hold 2x4s with the window closed and snug.....

I must be missing something or people just don't like the rack...
I'm probably gonna get a rack eventually, but I'm a bit vertically challenged, so I don't forsee me wanting to lift stuff up there that often
Sponsored

Mac n Nevada

Banned
Badlands
Banned
Banned
First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser/2019 Jeep GC Trailhawk
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm probably gonna get a rack eventually, but I'm a bit vertically challenged, so I don't forsee me wanting to lift stuff up there that often

That's what those big ol tires are for, step on them roof access is easy.....
also the is this step that hooks on the door jamb thingies...I forget the name of them, but they are handy... (y)

MaverickMan

Black Diamond
First Name
Shane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
96 bronco sport 91 comanche eliminator 93 v8 zj
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Ya know as long as its only a board or few just bring a towel and strap em to the roof. That is if you dont have the roof rack. Remember they did say they are still working on finalizing the racks so there may be an option for your choice.

Sponsored

Megawatt

First Name
JO
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lifted Rubicon usually off-road.
Your Bronco Model
Undecided
....are people opposed to a rack?...
I must be missing something or people just don't like the rack...

A rack on my vehicle will not fit in my garage. I have 35” tires and 2.5” lift, the Bronco will be about same height.

I don’t have space to store a rack if it’s not on my vehicle.

I don’t want to loose mpg because of a rack that is empty 99% of the time it has to be on my vehicle. I drive 75 miles a day round trip to and from work.

ZackDanger

Badlands
First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Toyota 4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

YES.

Flipping the rear glass up for long items, or just cruising around for air flow, is standard practice on Wranglers and isn’t anything I would worry about.

Additionally, I have a rack on my Jeep. And a trailer hitch.

Todkavonic

First Edition
First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW, Ducati, Guzzi, and the Jeep.
Your Bronco Model
First Edition
I've had this debate since the release of the bronco. I too consider a trailer but it doesn't really work for me because I don't have a place to store it except in my backyard. Which is fine except I have a block wall with just a walk gate to get into the yard. Harbor freight has a folding trailer with casters that would be perfect except I doubt casters roll on gravel too well...
For those with trailer storage issues:

I have one of these nestled up nicely against a wall in my garage. Maybe 20% of its use is for moving motorcycles around, the other 80% is as a utility trailer.

Nate

N3T

Big Bend
First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
95 e320 wagon
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
I hear you on not being too eager to be seen struggling to get a dozen long boards on top of a rack. But .. in the accessories reveal video where they showed the pull out table in the back of the 4DR they said that they explicitly designed it to handle standing on it to access the roof rack. This makes it a necessity rather than an optional accessory for me because that’ll make getting things out of the upstairs box so much easier.

JimmyDean

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
82 Bronco, 513 ci; 71 mach 1, 351C; 06 F-250, 6.0; 56 800, 172c.i. gas
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Ha! That JK picture could have been me, except wrong color jeep. Yeah, sort of looks like a doofus, but it gets the job done. Never had any issues with the rear glass.
I did this in my wife's 4runner recently. 8 14' 1x6s

Sponsored

Techun

Black Diamond
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BD, 2.7, MIC, 4dr
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
My local lumber supply will deliver any size load for about $40. Consider the time to go there, pick it up, load it, bring it home, unload it...even if I had a truck with an 8' bed I'd pay the $.

pan-y-cerveza

Black Diamond
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma Pro
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
Clubs

My local lumber supply will deliver any size load for about $40. Consider the time to go there, pick it up, load it, bring it home, unload it...even if I had a truck with an 8' bed I'd pay the $.
This is worth looking into. The local lumber yards will deliver in my area for free. Usually within a few hours. I don't know if/what the minimum is. I wouldn't expect them to bring a couple of boards by but I've had no issues with a reasonable amount.

SamR

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4Runner
Your Bronco Model
Base
The rack is a legit solution for a few boards and I do keep forgetting about that. One downside is it's surprisingly easy to exceed the ~100lb capacity of the rack with lumber though. Probably once every 5-10 years for me though at which point a rental would make more sense.

Tortuga353

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW Tiguan
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I have been debating this myself. I currently drive a 2019 Tiguan development vehicle. It has a custom lift, tune, exhaust, intercoolers, and a bunch of other little things. However, I cracked my front windshield with a 2” x 10’ pc of PVC. I have a trailer but the wife didn’t want to go back and she made me load the PVC straight vs an angle. The Tiguan rear glass doesn’t open so when the door wouldn’t close by like 2mm I bumped it closed. When I got in my wife said oops I just made you crack your windshield.

Soo, I’ve pretty much always had a truck except for a Jeep and a Camaro. I was slowly leaning back towards truck due to the delay to June and some of my excitement dwindling, and now the cracked windshield situation.

However, I think I’m gonna stick with Bronco. I’m so early on the reservation list and even though the truck may be more convenient I like the top off scenario and the off-road capabilities, plus it looks pretty badass. Hopefully I can live without a truck. We’ll see.

Markubis

Outer Banks
First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus, Ford Ranger XLT, Can Am Ryker
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks