Sponsored

Reading the dipstick in the 2.3L, is there a better way?

da_jokker

Wildtrak
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JKUR
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Spray the end of your dipstick with some brake cleaner. It allows the oil to adhere better.
Sponsored

OP
OP
Lil Red Broncette

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Has anyone else noticed one side is smooth and the other side is cross-hatched?
Yes, I look at both sides to judge, but even then there is so much extra it becomes difficult.

OP
OP
Lil Red Broncette

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Spray the end of your dipstick with some brake cleaner. It allows the oil to adhere better.
the problem is too much oil is sticking to it that is in the dip-stick channel.

OP
OP
Lil Red Broncette

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
I run my finger along the stick - it's not surefire, but if you're willing to get your hands dirty it helps figure out where the level actually is when you have clean oil.
I can see the oil well enough, it is all the extra oil that sits in the dip stick channel that gets on it.

OP
OP
Lil Red Broncette

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Respectfully, I would never be that confident. It’s not a matter of being smart. An oil change anywhere is not getting the “top“ mechanic/technician at any facility.

Worst experience? My wife’s company Subaru had the oil changed at one of the major oil change outlets. The “Tech” drained the transmission by mistake then added the full oil fill volume to the already full engine. You want to talk about smoke?????

There have been other “experiences” at national name brand facilities. Shit happens…. Good luck.
Horror stories certainly abound. I started doing oil changes after I had an engine failure as a result of a shop over tightening the drain plug causing it to leak. I never had a problem with oil loss before that. Car did not give me a clue it was low on oil till it was down so low that too much damage was done.
Sponsored