Sponsored

Reading the dipstick in the 2.3L, is there a better way?

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
Just did my third oil change, and I really find the dipstick harder to read than any other vehicle I have had.

It seems like the dipstick goes down thru a passage that brings oil from the top of the head to the bottom of the engine. And since it is right there next to the main fill, oil immediately runs down the dip stick passage. Then thru capillary action or surface tension some oil just sits in the passage to coat the dipstick up the length well above the fill mark even when I know I haven't put enough oil in yet.

I can sort-of, sometimes tell the difference between complete coverage at the bottom verses oil along the edge of the dipstick, but sometimes there seems to be enough in the passage to cover the full width. It always takes me multiple times inserting and cleaning off to even get to that sort of tell point.

Is there some secret trick to making this easier to read? I feel like it be easier ramming something to clean out the excess oil like cleaning the barrel of a muzzle loading cannon. Getting tired of having to insert it a dozen times before getting a reading I am confident in.
Sponsored

Boreal

Badlands
First Name
Colby
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.cspencephoto.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Badlands 2DR
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
My Process:

Change oil. Do the Flat Foot/No Spark crank. Turn it over, Let it idle for a minute. Kill the engine. Clean up all the consumables from the change - about five minutes will elapse by the time you are done a wash up/clean up.

THEN check the oil level.

Everything takes a few minutes to drain to the pan for an accurate reading anyways

Last edited:

615_Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2D BL, SAS, MT, & 2015 F-350 DRW
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

Just did my third oil change, and I really find the dipstick harder to read than any other vehicle I have had.

It seems like the dipstick goes down thru a passage that brings oil from the top of the head to the bottom of the engine. And since it is right there next to the main fill, oil immediately runs down the dip stick passage. Then thru capillary action or surface tension some oil just sits in the passage to coat the dipstick up the length well above the fill mark even when I know I haven't put enough oil in yet.

I can sort-of, sometimes tell the difference between complete coverage at the bottom verses oil along the edge of the dipstick, but sometimes there seems to be enough in the passage to cover the full width. It always takes me multiple times inserting and cleaning off to even get to that sort of tell point.

Is there some secret trick to making this easier to read? I feel like it be easier ramming something to clean out the excess oil like cleaning the barrel of a muzzle loading cannon. Getting tired of having to insert it a dozen times before getting a reading I am confident in.
I pour the recommended amount and ride. I’ll check the next morning when its cold.

OP
OP
Lil Red Broncette

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
My Process:

Change oil. Do the Flat Foot/No Spark crank. Turn it over, Let it idle for a minute. Kill the engine. Clean up all the consumables from the change - about five minutes will elapse by the time you are done a wash up/clean up.

THEN check the oil level.

Everything takes a few minutes to drain to the pan for an accurate reading anyways
I do start it for a minute to get it off the ramps after the initial fill. Maybe I am checking too early.

OP
OP
Lil Red Broncette

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base
I pour the recommended amount and ride. I’ll check the next morning when its cold.
What amount do you put in? And when you check does it need more? I know I've seen the amount but never trust it till I've prove it repeatable.

Part of the problem I suppose is I am new to doing changes on the Bronco. On my explorer I know that I can count on 6 quarts putting me just on the low side of mid range on the dip stick. I put an extra third which puts it at the top. I usually don't even check the dipstick after a change. Just every 500 miles or couple weeks.

Sponsored

redone17

Black Diamond
First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Bronco, 2020 Ranger
Your Bronco Model
Black Diamond
I hear ya. I thought I was going crazy at first. I also cold crank and then drive it a bit and check it in the morning. But, I’ve just been pouring in the full 5L bottle and then leaving a tad bit behind in the 1L bottle and it’s been spot on every time.

Tricky Mike

Badlands
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

It is super hard to read when clean. I just check it about 5 times and hope for the best.

OP
OP
Lil Red Broncette

Lil Red Broncette

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Explorer
Your Bronco Model
Base

615_Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Bronco 2D BL, SAS, MT, & 2015 F-350 DRW
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

What amount do you put in? And when you check does it need more? I know I've seen the amount but never trust it till I've prove it repeatable.

Part of the problem I suppose is I am new to doing changes on the Bronco. On my explorer I know that I can count on 6 quarts putting me just on the low side of mid range on the dip stick. I put an extra third which puts it at the top. I usually don't even check the dipstick after a change. Just every 500 miles or couple weeks.
I always do 6.2 quarts of Motorcraft synthetic.
My problem is that it always shows too much oil unless I let it sit for a few hours after.

Sponsored

Outer Banks
First Name
Hans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
23 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Pull your dip stick out and leave it out for a few minutes then put it back in and measure your oil,. I also sand papered the end of the dip stick to make it easier to read.

l88m22vette

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Please sir may I have locking diffs?
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Has anyone else noticed one side is smooth and the other side is cross-hatched?

RHeinz

Badlands
First Name
Ric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1950 Willys CJ3A, 2022 Bronco Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I’m smart enough not to get burnt
Respectfully, I would never be that confident. It’s not a matter of being smart. An oil change anywhere is not getting the “top“ mechanic/technician at any facility.

Worst experience? My wife’s company Subaru had the oil changed at one of the major oil change outlets. The “Tech” drained the transmission by mistake then added the full oil fill volume to the already full engine. You want to talk about smoke?????

There have been other “experiences” at national name brand facilities. Shit happens…. Good luck.

Brian_B

Big Bend
First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'23 BB 4dr 7MT, '22 BSport OBX, '87 B-II XL
Your Bronco Model
Big Bend
Clubs

I run my finger along the stick - it's not surefire, but if you're willing to get your hands dirty it helps figure out where the level actually is when you have clean oil.
Sponsored