Jack Evans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Needed to pull out my 2Dr Wildtrac a few feet to get into the attic, pulled forward inches and the glass exploded outward. I say outward cause there is glass all in the garage behind the Bronco left and right. Yes, there is glass in the cargo area but no glass anywhere in the back seats. I took pictures showing damage before opening the gate or doing any clean up. You can see the pulleys/structs exploded outward. Once I did open the gate, the bottom frame of the window fell. My Bronco stays in the garage, so I can't blame the Florida heat. In fact, it was last driven a week ago. I've gone thru every scenario possible to try to figure out if I did something wrong. Curious what other might have to say by looking at the pictures.
Ford Bronco Rear Window Explodes, No Clue Why????? IMG_9114.JPG
Ford Bronco Rear Window Explodes, No Clue Why????? IMG_9115.JPG
Ford Bronco Rear Window Explodes, No Clue Why????? IMG_9118.JPG
Ford Bronco Rear Window Explodes, No Clue Why????? IMG_9116.JPG
Ford Bronco Rear Window Explodes, No Clue Why????? IMG_9117.JPG
Sponsored

604Bronco

Badlands
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.bronco6g.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

There's been other reports of rear glass exploding too - Can probably find them by searching for them on here.

Hopefully nobody was hurt.

@Ford Motor Company

Sponsored

Mad Max

Badlands
First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

I'm thinking the glass took a whack before you moved it and there were micro fractures waiting for one more push. Moving the vehicle just gave it enough of a flex that it let go.

Baja Bronco

Outer Banks
First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ford Bronco, 20 Ford Raptor
Your Bronco Model
Outer Banks
Clubs

Did you have it tinted? I’ve read on other forums that tinted glass shatters more than untinted glass. I certainly don’t have any proof, just what I’ve read.

OP
OP
younglefthander
First Name
Jack Evans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

I'm thinking the glass took a whack before you moved it and there were micro fractures waiting for one more push. Moving the vehicle just gave it enough of a flex that it let go.
No hits on glass while I've had it. Only have had it 3 weeks now. If something like that happen then it happen on the dealer lot or in manufacturing.

OP
OP
younglefthander
First Name
Jack Evans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

Did you have it tinted? I’ve read on other forums that tinted glass shatters more than untinted glass. I certainly don’t have any proof, just what I’ve read.
No tint and no direct sun or heat from in garage. Plus, garage door open all day.

Figmo

Wildtrak
First Name
Figmo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Suzuki Samurai, Bronco 2Dr WT
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The struts landing outward I don’t think is compelling. They are under pressure to lift the glass so anytime that pressure is relieved for whatever reason - outward is naturally where they will land. Every time. And, of course, pushing a fair amount of glass that direction with them.

Thinking rear glass alignment was off “just enough” so that a little bit of pressure is placed on the glass when closing the gate. Over time - it just gives way.

I’m going to assume you’ve never removed the top because certainly you would have mentioned that right off. So maybe it’s poor factory alignment? Especially given that others have had this same problem. Be interesting to compare build dates among those who’ve had this happen.

No way to be certain. But even if I’m right - what good is it? Doubtful Ford will own up to it.

Sponsored
OP
OP
younglefthander
First Name
Jack Evans
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maverick/Bronco
Your Bronco Model
Wildtrak
Clubs

The struts landing outward I don’t think is compelling. They are under pressure to lift the glass so anytime that pressure is relieved for whatever reason - outward is naturally where they will land. Every time. And, of course, pushing a fair amount of glass that direction with them.

Thinking rear glass alignment was off “just enough” so that a little bit of pressure is placed on the glass when closing the gate. Over time - it just gives way.

I’m going to assume you’ve never removed the top because certainly you would have mentioned that right off. So maybe it’s poor factory alignment? Especially given that others have had this same problem. Be interesting to compare build dates among those who’ve had this happen.

No way to be certain. But even if I’m right - what good is it? Doubtful Ford will own up to it.
Good point on the struts. It was built 9/23. Had 50 miles on it when I got it 3 weeks. Top has not been off. I'll get with Ford but either way, warranty or insurance, it will get fixed.

MFP2241

Base
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Your Bronco Model
Base
@Figmo is right.

The two top corners, where the struts are mounted, seem to be where the blowouts originated... you even still have a little "mountain" of glass in the middle.

Never heard of struts causing damage like this, but given the patten of the shatter and the direction of the broken glass, it seems like the struts are the most likely cause. Who knows what the glass was subjected to prior to you obtaining the truck.

Last edited:

Lcubed

Badlands
First Name
l
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
VW golf r, 2023 ManBadSquatch
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
Clubs

the rear window is made from tempered glass.

a small imperfection (usually during manufacture or installation) will cause the glass to spontaneously unload from the manufactured stressed state to an unstressed state.

my aunt's new subaru's rear window exploded while parked at my mom's house. replaced by the dealer at no cost

7spdbadlands

Badlands
First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21' MT Badlands
Your Bronco Model
Badlands
I had something similar happen to me about 18 months ago. Had a pretty gnarly storm with high winds rip through SE MI. The wind pushing directly against the rear glass was enough pressure to get it to fold in on itself. Ford warrantied mine without any issues, took about 5 days to get the glass in and 2 days to get it fixed. Should have no problems warrantying yours, especially with how new it is. Most likely installed improperly from the factory, and it finally gave out
Ford Bronco Rear Window Explodes, No Clue Why????? IMG_0461
Ford Bronco Rear Window Explodes, No Clue Why????? IMG_0460
Ford Bronco Rear Window Explodes, No Clue Why????? IMG_0462
Sponsored